• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing Novice Tries Rubbing & Polishing Compounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing Novice Tries Rubbing & Polishing Compounds

Well, first off let me say that my previous detailing experience has been limited to washing and waxing (oh, and I recently discovered clay bars). That said, I welcome any feedback from those more knowledgable than myself.

Now, the reason I picked up the Clear Coat Safe Rubbing & Polishing Compounds is to see if I could get some of the swirls out of my wife's paint job. I was originally planning to try SwirlX, but I thought the two-step rubbing and polishing might yield a better result. After discovering this forum today, I suspect I may have a bit to learn here.

Regardless, in my opinion, these products worked great. It took me about an hour to do the hood using the process described below, and I was really rushing because we had a wedding to get to that afternoon. If I had more time, I think the results might have been even better (for example, I would have clay barred before using the rubbing compound).

There are still a few swirl marks, but the difference is night and day. The pictures do not fully capture how much better it looks now. Even my wife is impressed, who never asked me to do this in the first place, and was worried I was going to make us late for the wedding.

I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Here are the products I used:

Step one, wash.
    Step two, dry.
    Step three, mask off the fenders and grill (I only did the hood to start with).
    Step four, wipe down the hood with some diluted rubbing alcohol to remove any remaining wax and dirt.
    Step five, apply Rubbing Compound one small section at at a time. Do not allow to dry and wipe off immediately.
    Step six, wipe the hood down one more time with a clean terry cloth towel.
    Step seven, apply Clear Coat Safe Polishing Compound. As before, apply to one small section at at a time. Do not allow to dry and wipe off immediately.
    Step eight, give the hood another thorough wipe-down with a clean terry cloth towel.
    Step nine, wax.

Before photo:

After photo:

Side-by-side:

One more after photo:

Re: Detailing Novice Tries Rubbing & Polishing Compounds

Welcome to MOL

Glad to here you had good results with our new products...

There is a lot to learn about car care, just make sure and take it slow so you don't get overwhelmed
    Mike Pennington
    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
    Meguiar's, Inc.
    800-854-8073
    mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Welcome to MOL and nice work. I have respect for guys who work by hand.

Comment

Welcome to mol. That is really nice work. That is a dramatic improvement on your car. Way to go.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Looks great, what an improvement. Here's a thumbs up for doing it by hand and before a wedding. that takes guts.

Comment

gotta love when consumer products are getting the job done..thats awesome
            Addicted

Comment

Very impressive job. Well done.

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments everyone! Now I just have to find time to do the rest of the car

Comment

no problem..im actually very impressed how well the new rubbing and polishing compound works. it looks like it can tackle those swirls with no problem, which is always amazing for a consumer line product. great job
                  Addicted

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');