• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint chip question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint chip question??

So i have some chips. About 10-15 that ive found scattered around my car. I have touch up paint and NO expereince wet sanding. I was gonna ask if i tape around the chip, fill it in with a tooth pic, and then hit it up with some UC? Would that do it? Whats the best, easyest, cheapest way to do an O.K job? (NO BODY SHOP)

Re: Paint chip question??

I saw some stuff called Touch-up magic. You use the touch up paint with a toothpick,brush,etc. Once the paint has dried for the time suggested then you put this product on and scrape off excessive paint with a plastic razor blade. I'm told it works ok but I myself have never used it. Check Top of the Line detailing supplies web site. They sell the product. Good luck

Comment

I've used Dr. Colorchip with good results. Interestingly the paint color match is much better than the touch up paint I bought at the dealer.

Comment

If you do it carefully with a toothpic and use several thin coats, you should be able to get it fairly even, and it should turn out pretty ok on its own.

If you want it to be perfect, you would have to make more of a little blob, sand it down some with a 2000 grit paper say, then try the UC, or other cleaners as needed. If you go the sanding route, taping around would be a good idea.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

so i would try to only sand the touch up paint. Not the surrounding paint? ie the tape???

Comment

Yeah, get the tape like 1/4in or less around the spot, so you sand mostly the touch up paint.

For the record, I would try this process on an out of the way chip first, before doing your whole car, and the ones in the middle of your hood....
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');