The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you! - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

Re: The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

Quote Originally Posted by billddrummer View Post
    Great idea Guz, thanks!

I reveal my ignorance--what is RIDS?
    Found it: Random Isolated Deeper Scratches

These aren't--just leftover swirl marks. They are much less noticeable than before though.

Amazing that the dealer offered to 'fix' the finish, when they were the ones who created the flaws.

Can probably get them out with UP on the foam polishing pad, again with heavy pressure at highest setting.

Paint is hard--very hard.

The nicest benefit is that the metallic sparkles in the paint are now visible, when before they were masked by the swirl marks.

I did bump the post holding the awning over my parking spot, left a narrow scratch on the bumper which I'll fix with touchup paint and polish. Didn't go all the way through to the plastic.

That will be later this spring the next time I do a full detail.
    2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Registered Member

I did my whole car with scratchx 2, it came out good

Quote Originally Posted by MicrofiberMan View Post
    I did my whole car with scratchx 2, it came out good
    Good for you. Did you do it by hand or with a machine?
    2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Found it: Random Isolated Deeper Scratches

These aren't--just leftover swirl marks. They are much less noticeable than before though.

Amazing that the dealer offered to 'fix' the finish, when they were the ones who created the flaws.

Can probably get them out with UP on the foam polishing pad, again with heavy pressure at highest setting.

Paint is hard--very hard.

The nicest benefit is that the metallic sparkles in the paint are now visible, when before they were masked by the swirl marks.

I did bump the post holding the awning over my parking spot, left a narrow scratch on the bumper which I'll fix with touchup paint and polish. Didn't go all the way through to the plastic.

That will be later this spring the next time I do a full detail.
    Update: Part I--Went to a body shop to get an estimate on the post bump. After looking at it, the body guy said "the paint looks fine, I have some compound to get rid of the paint transfer." With that, he came back with something which I couldn't identify, and removed the transferred paint from the bumper. Now there's only a small chip which I can easily fix with touchup paint.

Update: Part II

Did clay, UP and UPW last weekend. Noticed there are still some swirl marks that I missed from using UC the last time. Question: What path should I take now?
    1. Hit it again with UC, knowing that's a relatively aggressive solution to something 95% of people won't ever notice?
    2. Do another treatment with UP?
    3. Leave it? (I consider the finish at about 85% of where I want it.)

Thanks!

Registered Member

Good for you. Did you do it by hand or with a machine?
    i did it with a da, ive since gone over it with m205 ultra finishing polish, im debating on using ultimate compound on iy now then finishing with 205 during my vaca in 3 weeks but its a 2014 so its prob overkill. i do have isolated defects i want to remove, ive already wet sanded sucsefully so ill prob do it again

Update: Part II

Did clay, UP and UPW last weekend. Noticed there are still some swirl marks that I missed from using UC the last time. Question: What path should I take now?
    1. Hit it again with UC, knowing that's a relatively aggressive solution to something 95% of people won't ever notice?
    2. Do another treatment with UP?
    3. Leave it? (I consider the finish at about 85% of where I want it.)

Thanks!
    Still waiting for anyone to chime in on this question.

Thanks.

Registered Member

Still waiting for anyone to chime in on this question.

Thanks.
    Did u do it by hand? IDK in my opinion there's always going to be some minor swirl marks that you can only see in direct sunlight at the perfect angle, It be very hard to get rid of them 100% unless you are an experienced professional with the right tools. Most of us are just getting super anal about our daily drivers in an ocd kind of way but we have to remember our limitations and what we are actually driving. Just my 2 cents, You can strive for perfection of course but you aren't going to achieve it. By this philosophy Ive let some things go on my car, before I got to the point where I'm stripping the clear coat off an otherwise new vehicle driving myself crazy over phantom scratches that no one else would ever notice anyway. How many scratches have you noticed on other peoples cars? A guy has a good sig in here saying car care is supposed to be therapy not the reason you need it. Thats good advice i think

Quote Originally Posted by MicrofiberMan View Post
    Did u do it by hand? IDK in my opinion there's always going to be some minor swirl marks that you can only see in direct sunlight at the perfect angle, It be very hard to get rid of them 100% unless you are an experienced professional with the right tools. Most of us are just getting super anal about our daily drivers in an ocd kind of way but we have to remember our limitations and what we are actually driving. Just my 2 cents, You can strive for perfection of course but you aren't going to achieve it. By this philosophy Ive let some things go on my car, before I got to the point where I'm stripping the clear coat off an otherwise new vehicle driving myself crazy over phantom scratches that no one else would ever notice anyway. How many scratches have you noticed on other peoples cars? A guy has a good sig in here saying car care is supposed to be therapy not the reason you need it. Thats good advice i think
    You're absolutely right. Leaving it works for me. Will clay and wax next week. Then UP two weeks from now.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread Information