• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

right order? let me know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right order? let me know

hey guys, so im ordering products online right now and want to know if its everything i need in terms of liquids, dont need towels or anything as i already have it.

car is a 2007 subaru wrx urban grey metallic with 25k miles, was only detailed once by me and i had no idea what i was doing but i got good results.

6 or so months later its not as shiny anymore, id like to do it all by hand and these were the products i use, so i might just go with them again.

im looking to do a COMPLETE off the shelf detail.

clay kit
    ultimate compound
    swirlx

deep crystal system polish

and then nxt 2.0 paste

now my question is,

is the deep crystal cleaner needed as well before i use deep crystal polish?

out of opinion, is colorx slightly more affective? it has a higher price tag =)

is swirlx more abrasive than scratchx 2.0?

i just wanna go over the entire car so i can start off with a clean slate

Re: right order? let me know

As the saying goes, "use the least abrasive method first"! Hence, try using SwirlX before you move up to Ultimate Compound. If SwirlX does it for ya, no need for UC! The Deep Crystal Polish is not necessary, but will help with some extra "pop" when it's all said and done. Since you're already using SwirlX and/or Ultimate Compound, you have no need for Deep Crystal Cleaner. When it comes to removing swirls, Ultimate Compound is definitely the strongest cleaner, then ScratchX 2.0, then SwirlX -- I don't quite remember if ColorX is stronger then SwirlX or not...

Hope this helps a bit! I'm sure others will chime in as well, good luck! And post pics when you're done!
    2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
    Black Obsidian

Comment

Originally posted by rextotherex View Post
      out of opinion, is colorx slightly more affective? it has a higher price tag =)

is swirlx more abrasive than scratchx 2.0?
      SwirlX will be stronger than ColorX, but they are different products. ColorX is a cleaner/wax, and is a great product for doing a 'quick' detail:

Wash
      ColorX
      Nxt

Turns out great when you dont have lots of time. And it is nice to use something like Ultimate Quick Wax after future washes.

ScratchX 2.0 is between SiwrlX and UC.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Do not go to UC before you have to. If Swirlx gets the job done then use that. Do not use cotton applicators, use soft foam applicators as they will not inflict scracthes. I learned this the other day.

The polish is not necessary but helps to feed the paint and give it extra clarity. Colorx is a strong cleaner wax that is a great product.

Good luck!
        Tedrow's Detailing
        845-642-1698
        Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

^ +1 on all the above comments.

Since you have DC1, that may be enough as a paintCleaner after your full-detail preparation wash+clay (assuming you dont have any swirls or defects needing removal, else only then use SwirlX or ScratchX2 or UC). After painCleaning, then DC2 then NXT2 (2 coats).

DC1 cleaner is discontinued in US, if you cannot get it in future you can use SwirlX for paintCleaning (it is VERY mild).

As was suggested above, you typically dont need to do a full-detail (clay+cleaner+glaze) very often. You can wash+sprayWax weekly, maybe monthlhy top-up wax with another NXT2 coat. Maybe every 1-3 months you may want to do a mini-detail (wash+ColorX+NXT2). The ColorX has All-In-One cleaner (stronger than DC1) plus glaze (like DC2) plus wax, and then you just use NXT2 as your 2nd coat of wax (always do 2 coats).

Make sense? Have fun and let us know how it works for you.
          2010 XRS

Comment

SwirlX is a cleaner polish that is stronger and (IMO) better to use than DCC, and following up with DCP might only provide minmal benefit, it's really your call.

But definitely seal your polishing with NXT 2.0 (2 thin coats). Some people like to top that off with a carnauba wax like M16 or Gold Class, again your call.

Comment

thanks for all the info guys!

i was actually comparing colorx to deep crystal polish, sorry if i confused u guys! deep cystal polish is 7.99 whereas colorx is 9.99, but deep crystal polish says it works good on dark color cars,i think my car is considered dark?

i need to use UC for one spot where i got a little bumper rash from another bumper and scratchx2.0 is not taking it off.

other than that looks like im on the right track!

Comment

Originally posted by rextotherex View Post
                ...I was actually comparing colorx to deep crystal polish, sorry if i confused u guys! deep cystal polish is 7.99 whereas colorx is 9.99, but deep crystal polish says it works good on dark color cars,i think my car is considered dark?...
                Sort of Apples-and-Oranges. DC2 polish is oils to nuture the paint and give you more of the wet-look depth. It requires that your paint has first been nicely cleaned (wont really pass through wax, etc) and then MUST be topped with a wax (glaze/polish will otherwise wash off with first wash/rain).

ColorX is All-In-One, cleaner (like DC1 or SwirlX) plus polish (like DC2 or M07 showcar glaze) plus wax (like DC3 or #26 carnuba), although you can top it with 2nd coat of NXT2 (many folks do).

Any polish will help bring the sparkle out in your metalic paint, either standalone DC2 or the polish inside SwirlX or ColorX etc).
                2010 XRS

Comment

gotcha, ill just go with the deep crystal then!

one last question i promise lol, so ive dug around and been reading many debates about m20 and m21.

i know sealants last longer but dont give as good of a shine as carnuba wax, thats fine i just want to protect the paint.

out of m20 and m21 sealants, which exactly lasts the LONGEST, i can always top it off with a carnuba wax every month or so keep the shine, i just want a really good protectant

Comment

NXT2 is the consumer hand-optimized version of M21 professional machine-optimized polymer sealant. Meguiars says they (NXT2/M21) have the best protection of all their products. But I think the difference between M20 and M21 would tiny.

Also, there is a slight difference between best protection (including UV protection, etc) vs water beading vs water shedding vs visible gloss vs wet-look depth, etc, which makes any straight comparison difficult. Also, they have slightly different visible "looks". Just go with what looks best to you and you will be happy.

Dont sweat the tiny details.
                    2010 XRS

Comment

wow who would have known it would be so complicated lol! i just need the longest lasting uv protection i suppose since my car is outside alot since my garage is packed.

i guess ill just go with nxt paste since its off the counter, im sure it should last a month or so. if not please chime in i dont have a problem getting m20 or m21 is it has slightly longer uv protection.

someone on this forum said you can get 6 months of protection, i highly doubt it, if it was 3 months that would be magical,

i typically want to detail the beginning of every season, but as i do more n more research it looks like ppl wax every month.

so if i were to follow the 5 step program, i do that every 6 months like it says. and then every week i would wash the car, and then every month i would use deep crystal and then another coat of nxt or should i use swirlx as well.

Comment

Just to mess you up more... #21 is a synthetic product, #20 is a carnuba/synthetic blend, with mild cleaning ability.

Comment

I think you'll find that in most cases, using Nxt 2.0 or #21 2.0 (with prep), then washing weekly/bi-weekly, and using something like Ultimate Quick Wax after each wash will get you past a month easily.

When it is time to re-wax, how much you want to do is up to you. I usually do ColorX + Wax when not doing a full detail. Some people will just wax. Some will polish and wax. Bit of a personal decision really, and how dirty you feel the paint might be. My car is a daily driver, parked outside, so I go with some cleaning ability in ColorX.

Comment

most definately, my car is not a garage queen! it sees the light of day and the darkest nights maybe 300 out of 365 days a year when i steal the parkng space in my garage!

well after tons and tons of research and opinions, it seems you cant go wrong with nxt 2.0 paste, even alot of forums recomend you cant go wrong with it, especially for the price.

and murr ill take your word for it, ill use colorx every month and deep crystal polish only when i claybar the car and use swirlx every 6 months. thanks a bunch guys ill be makin an order

i think ill try 21 sometime down the road, but as of now theres not really much proven evidence it lasts longer, and also i read alot of statements that they are the same product.

in the end, my theory is basiclly just like painting.

you can use the crappiest paint, but you can get an even crappier paint job if you do crappy prep work. i paint alot of rims, including myself and i learned the hard way =/

Comment

Yeah, get a few products together and have fun.... You may refine your process in a few months, or next year, but just have to get a few things and get the feel for it.

What are your mufflers/exhaust like? I always enjoy polishing mine.... And of course the wheels, tires, glass, interior, trim... Dont forget some applicators.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');