• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove white polish residue from black plastics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove white polish residue from black plastics

Hi All,

After using the tech wax recently I have the white residue on some of my black plastics and rubber.

Whats the best way of removing the black residue from the plastics and rubber

Thanks

Clarky

Re: How to remove white polish residue from black plastics

School eraser must work!

Comment

I've had the same problem, recently with the residue, using the PC over tape; wasn't paying that great of attention, and let the PC jump over the tape onto the plastic parts of my GMC Sierra. I used a toothbrush and Purple power cleaner, looked good, but when it dried; turned white; looked horrible. I've yet to get it out, but I haven't tried my new product, the All Season Dressing from Megs - hopefully tomorrow, that will restore everything, or at least help it somewhat.

Comment

My trims turned white the day I got interested in detailing and waxing. It has been white ever since like 6 months ago?
        It's finally back to black now!
        I used peanut butter and a toothbrush.
        Apply PB like toothpaste and brush away! for like 1 minute or so, My PB turned black. Once you think you are done
        scrubbing wipe it off and you can tell a different a feel and difference too. It felt "softer"

To my surprise it works flawlessly expect for the peanut butter going into the little nooks and gaps.

Comment

I have heard of the peanut butter technique and I have also heard about people heating it first. The good part is that you can eat lunch while detailing your car.

I would try a citrus degreaser like Greased Lightning Blast (Orange Powered). It comes in an orange bottle and you can find it at Walmart. I find the citrus degreasers work better than the Purple Power type ones as they will not harm the paint if you are sloppy. I would still wet the effected area first and then use the cleaner at full strength.

You can use a toothbrush, terry cloth 100% cotton towel, microfiber towel, etc. Just stay away from anything too harsh like the scrubbing part of some spunges, scotchbrite pads, steel wool (00 type may be ok but I have no personal experience with it).

I made the mistake of using the scrubbing part of the spunge on my black trim and after about 2 sqaure inches, stopped, looked at the damage and cursed loudly. This was when I had no idea what I was doing and thought it would work. Now I have a scratched area on my trim and it makes me sad. Anyway, good luck.
          Tedrow's Detailing
          845-642-1698
          Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

m39/vinyl cleaner takes wax residue off with ease, just use with a microfiber or terry cloth.
            There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Comment

Your choice. Eraser, peanut butter, or #39. All have worked well for me.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

I used a little bit of All-Season Dressing for the cowls of my car when it was smeared with APC. works like magic. just apply small amount and let it soak for a minute or so then wipe off excess. it's now back to black.

Comment

Although the penut butter probably works, if you dont wanna look like a complete lunatic with all your neigbors and have every cat and dog in your neighborhood licking your car. And if there is a chance you dont wanna spend all day with a pecil eraser. Try a cheap white magic eraser/sponge from Walmart and some soap and water. Youll be done in 5 min.

Comment

Magic Erasers are made with formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfitecopolymer. Scrubbing with it is like using a fine sandpaper.
                    I'm not planning on wet sanding a finish if it just needs cleaning.

Comment

Soak the sponge in some soap and water. Use very light pressure on the plastics only. Don

Comment

Soak the sponge in some soap and water. Use very light pressure on the plastics only. Don

Comment

As someone stated earlier peanut butter works great. The oils will remove the white and leave the plastic looking fresh and new. sounds crazy but it works.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');