• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to throw away clay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to throw away clay?

How dirty can clay get before you should throw it out??

I just clayed my wifes CX-9, I've been putting it off because I knew it needed it bad and it would take awhile. I took me probably 3 hours to clay it, maybe more. I had to get a new MF towel after just claying the hood, that's how bad it was. I went through 64oz of Last Touch and 4 MF towels.

Anyway, I used half of my container of Meg's mild clay. I took a comparison picture of new clay versus my clay, I need to upload it.

The CX-9 had NY plates on it when we bought it, I'm not sure why it was coated so bad but it was just nasty. Fallout maybe? It was like the entire car was coated in some sort of film. It's smooth as glass now!
    www.reflectionsautodetailing.biz

Re: When to throw away clay?

I usually throw mine away when I cant get a clean surface after kneading the clay.

If you knead the clay and you still see smudges or dirt in the clay, I would throw it away.

Comment

The only thing I would add to James's post is if it gets dried out - it also needs to go.

Comment

I guess I should throw it out then.
        www.reflectionsautodetailing.biz

Comment

The pics would help.. might still be good for the wheels.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Wow, 3 hours to clay is a long time; that vehicle must have had serious contaminates. I used to work at a shipyard, and on a Ford F150 extended cab with lots of overspray, only two hours at the max to completely clay it using Mothers.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              The pics would help.. might still be good for the wheels.
              Yeah agree with murr don't throw it away you could use it on glass, chrome or any smooth surface, pick out all contaminants you can from the clay and label for glass-chrome or whatever and reuse it.

And pics would be a big help.
              ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
              You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
              Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

I always recycle the clay. Go from paint, then to glass, then finally wheels. Then into the garbage.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

I go to the mufflers/exhaust after the wheels... then the garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                    I go to the mufflers/exhaust after the wheels... then the garbage.
                    Never thought about mufflers and exhaust. Thanks for the tip, Murr. Appreciate it.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

I just bought the Meguiar's Smooth Surface clay kit today and I am planning on doing my '07 Camry Hybrid tomorrow (dark charcoal grey). I routinely keep it cleaned and waxed (NXT 2.0) applying the wax with the Meguiar's DA polisher, so I am not too concerned about getting the clay too gritty. However, my question to you all is this; when you say "knead the clay" are you saying to fold it over and flatten it back out to a palm size to continue on? This is my first clay experience so I am a little concerned about doing it correctly. Would anyone advise on additional steps after clay and prior to wax (such as a sealant)? Thanks all...now I know what I have been missing in not being on this forum sooner! I have already learned so much by reading PAGES of various info. INCREDIBLE!
                      Don
                      "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Originally posted by gto_don View Post
                        I just bought the Meguiar's Smooth Surface clay kit today and I am planning on doing my '07 Camry Hybrid tomorrow (dark charcoal grey). I routinely keep it cleaned and waxed (NXT 2.0) applying the wax with the Meguiar's DA polisher, so I am not too concerned about getting the clay too gritty. However, my question to you all is this; when you say "knead the clay" are you saying to fold it over and flatten it back out to a palm size to continue on? This is my first clay experience so I am a little concerned about doing it correctly. Would anyone advise on additional steps after clay and prior to wax (such as a sealant)? Thanks all...now I know what I have been missing in not being on this forum sooner! I have already learned so much by reading PAGES of various info. INCREDIBLE!
                        How to Clay Bar

Comment

When you make your silver-dollar sized wafer of clay, just use one side and get one side dirty. Then, sort of fold the clean side in over the dirty side, so you have a ball with clean clay on the outside. Then flatten back into a wafer and use and repeat.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help. Unfortunately, I didn't get to it today due to other obligations. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday.
                            Don
                            "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');