• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I studied "waxes". And the winner is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I studied "waxes". And the winner is...

I bought a new white truck, my first new vehicle.
    I'll keep a long story short: I studied sealants and waxes over the Internet and bought a bunch of them, and polishes and cleaners too. I performed various unscientific tests on them, around the house and on my wife's black truck.
    Today, I finally waxed the new truck. I selected the product that we found to have the best mix of these properties: transparency, smoothness, water repellency, ease of use, reflectivity and "wetness". My wife and I are completely satisfied with this product on both black and white.
    And for my beautiful new white Toyota Tundra, the winner is...

NXT Tech Wax.
    White tow vehicle, daily driver, parked outside.
    NXT Tech Wax: official sealant.

Hi there

Where's some pics of the winner? Did you take pictures during your tests?

Thanks for sharing your test results.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub
      Where's some pics of the winner?
      Sorry for the delay. When I get my camera ready, and learn the posting procedures, and finish detailing it, I'll post a picture. It is deeper and more beautiful than new, without any question. It also has "wetness" now, on white or black. It looks approximately the same as various "autophile" photos of white vehicles I've seen on detailing forums, although I did not polish or clay. It glows with a quality unlike the new, unwaxed white, and I doubt that this beauty will be capturable, by me, in a photo.

Thanks for sharing your test results.
      Yes, it is interesting. However, no number of tests or photos posted by others could answer my questions. You might want to do your own testing.
      I started with an unmounted pane of glass. This way, I could see the transparency, and I could move it around relative to light sources, etc. Also, I could examine the behavior of water droplets in various ways.
      I then started working on a black baked-enamel pan.
      Then, I brought my white tailgate in, laid it on a covered couch, and applied the products to it.
      So, my testing did not include durability to the elements. However, the NXT I put on my wife's black truck a few weeks ago is pleasing us so far, and birdstuff wipes off very easily, as though the surface were oiled glass. That is a *major* big deal to me, since birdstuff can damage paint. I don't know how well other products do in this respect, but I probably won't bother testing them anymore.
      Last edited by scout; Dec 22, 2004, 11:38 AM.

Comment

How to upload your photos into your Meguiar's Online Gallery

Shout out to SC too. I just now noticed you location.

Comment

"Wet"
          Does it look wet? I told you so!
          Why is it blue? It's the sky, at dusk!
          See my wife and me in the left fenderwell?

"Crystal"
          I posted this one just to show you that it is not really blue.
          I made no special effort in this bed. I washed, dried, and waxed-on, waxed-off, one coat. That's it.
          It looks better than new, without any doubt.

Comment

NXT the best! It's not a hype, marketing, bloated, etc.

It's for real! I've done my own experiment during the holidays. 3 coats of NXT and on its way to the 4th. (with NXT wash in between)!
            I wash and wash my car until the whole thing disappeared!

Comment

Originally posted by tripper_11
              NXT the best! It's not a hype, marketing, bloated, etc.

It's for real! I've done my own experiment during the holidays. 3 coats of NXT and on its way to the 4th. (with NXT wash in between)!
              Well, it all depends on what you are looking for, what you prefer, what kind of paint you have, etc. NXT is certainly some good stuff, and is incredibly glossy.
              1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
              2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
              1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Here’s my thesis on the best wax /sealant-

Best wax or Sealant:
                There is no one product that can produce all of the properties for an optically perfect shine, however; for high surface gloss and surface reflectance-a polymer sealant, which also provides durability. Detailing enthusiasts consider shine as only one attribute of a protective wax or sealant. They are equally concerned with ease of application, resistance to abrasion, atmospheric contamination and weathering.

a) For depth of shine and clarity-a Carnauba wax (also provides a sacrificial and easily renewable barrier against airborne contaminants.
                b) For an optically perfect shine- for long term durability and protection apply a polymer sealant to a carefully prepared level, clean paint surface and add a Carnauba wax as a (LSP) last step product.
                c) The aesthetics of a vehicle appearance is very subjective to say the least, the only best wax or sealant that really matters is what looks 'best' to you...

It really is all dependant upon; 85% preparation, 5% product, 7% application method and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder.

JonM
                ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

What TOGWT said.
                  My Home Page
                  2000 Ford Explorer XLT
                  Alpine CDM-9803, Alpine MRP-F306, Crossfire TEK 35.2, Front Stage: Stock Speakers, JL Audio 10W3D2

Comment

yeah all said! I think #80 underneath NXT is that 85% on my silver metallic CR-V. But surely NXT improves the finish #80 have provided.
                    I wash and wash my car until the whole thing disappeared!

Comment

Update:

We did an unscientific A/B on my wife's black truck today, between NXT Paste, and Liquid. (This was done over two previous layers of the liquid.)

1. Ease of application is the same, according to my wife (she's "wax on").
                      2. The paste is slightly harder to remove. I'm willing to believe that this is because it is slightly tougher or harder, and that is good.
                      3. The paste seemed to produce no dust. (I wonder how they do that?) The liquid produces a little.
                      4. The clarity or transparency of the paste was slightly better.

So, the winner is still...

NXT Tech Wax
                      Last edited by scout; Jan 26, 2005, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I agree with Jon and John. It is really hard to call any single wax 'the best' because what I may consider best someone else may not. I'm willing to sacrifice a little durability for appearance (within reason, of course) but if you live where the winter weather can prevent any detailing for months at a time, you'd be better off with a product that focuses more on durability than the absolute best look possible.

That being said, I really like NXT Tech Wax. Very easy to use, decent durability and it looks terrific on all colors.
                        Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');