• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's Quik Tips Video - Consumer Headlight Restoration Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Meguiar's Quik Tips Video - Consumer Headlight Restoration Kit

Originally posted by jarred767 View Post
    You paint after compounding??? I don't follow?
    Yes paint on the UV Coating, not a Meg's product.

I use Headlight Renew Dr. http://headlightrenewdoctor.com/Products.php
    I want the new "wipe on" rather then the spray. The spray leaves Orange Peal.
    I've heard the wipe on leaves it perfect.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Sorry to keep the thread jacked, but I've had really good success on an older car using the DA Mirror Glaze pads with UC, UP, and then GC wax. I might switch to Ultimate Wax for this, or just leave it at the polishing step, as they look a bit yellow in some lights, and this might be due to the Gold Class - the only time you'll catch me not recommending GC

Otherwise, I would definitely try the Meg's kit.
      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

^^^ Gold Class isn't yellowing your lights.
        You still have UV/Plastic damage. You didn't remove all of it.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I'm not so happy with this product. When I started to polish headlights I had wool on whole my trunk. It was my first time that I bought product from Meguiars, but I'm disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by kuko View Post
            ....I had wool on whole my trunk...
            Your using a wool pad.
            This is a natural fiber pad and therefore the fibers come off.

I take it you've never used a wool pad before?
            All wool pads do this, all of them. I ware goggles when using wool because of the fibers.
            In order to remove sanding marks you have to use wool, that's why it's in the kit.
            And because of the fibers on your trunk you don't like the Headlight Kit.
            How did it perform on your Headlights?

... welcome to the world of detailing.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I didn't know that it should be like that. But now it is clear I thought that I get just bad produced wool pad. For me, If I do head lights restoration, I shouldn't clean hood after that. For me it was annoying. This is only my point of view. My head light looks little bit better. Maybe I need to use grind paper before polishing next time. Thanks for explanation

Comment

probably I chose wrong product

Comment

The lose fibers will lessen.
                  When ever I get a new wool pad I clean them in my pad washer and run a spur on it.

So wash that pad
                  Also spin it on your drill.
                  If you don't have a spur then you'll need to find a little hard tube, about 1" in diameter to fluff up the fibers and "spin" out the loose fibers, make sense?
                  After it's clean you only have a few fibers on the hood next time you use it.

Your headlights should look perfect.
                  This kit has everything you need.
                  Sand the heck out of it. That's your first attack at the UV coating and damaged plastic.
                  Don't forget to tape off the area EXTREMELY WELL or you sand off your paint or rubber.
                  After you've sanded it real well buff the heck out of it too.

This is plastic and not paint so you have to be a little aggressive, and ALWAYS use caution when being aggressive.
                  I redo headlights often and haven't really ran into any problems so it's relatively safe just use common sense.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

thanks for advice. I will try

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                      Gold Class isn't yellowing your lights.
                      You still have UV/Plastic damage. You didn't remove all of it.
                      Fair point. Probably just need to lay into it a bit more next time...
                      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

After compounding you shouldn't have any major haze but a little is expected.
                        I usually paint after compounding.
                        PlastX will help get rid of the haze.

This is the haze of which I speak. I used UC and foam light cutting pad(pretty sure) with rotary. Didn't spend a lot of time on them. Plus I was using a 6" pad. Think I will try the headlight kit and if nothing else, I will have the Plastx...thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by jakes29 View Post
                          This is the haze of which I speak. I used UC and foam light cutting pad(pretty sure) with rotary. Didn't spend a lot of time on them. Plus I was using a 6" pad. Think I will try the headlight kit and if nothing else, I will have the Plastx...thoughts?
                          6" is way to big you need 3" pads.
                          I don't know exactly what's going on with your lights. It doesn't look like haze but deterorated plastic.
                          Get 3" pads, and polish it UNTIL it's perfect.
                          I don't use PlastX

DetailingByM.com

Comment

6" is way to big you need 3" pads.
                            I don't know exactly what's going on with your lights. It doesn't look like haze but deterorated plastic.
                            Get 3" pads, and polish it UNTIL it's perfect.
                            I don't use PlastX
                            Yeah, I know a 6" pad is too big. I was working the hood and just hit the headlights as an afterthought. Might get the headlight kit just to have the drillbit attachment and small pad and try being patient and working the UC/UP a little longer.

If this is deteriorated plastic, will polishing it still work?

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');