• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok.... here's the deal. What next???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok.... here's the deal. What next???

Well, it's kind of a long story. Here is the short version;

I ordered the G100 along with the Essentials Kit today. I also have an Orbital Polisher on the way too (i think.. could be a rotary buffer, not sure)...

Anyways, while I have to sit around and wait for those to show up, I went out and bought some other products today. I got

-100% cotton terry cloths
    -microfiber cloths
    -NXT car wash
    -NXT Tech Wax
    -Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
    -Mother's Clay Bar Kit
    -Meguiars Scratch X

My question to you experts is this..... Where do I start? This is an absolute first for me. All I have done to this point is wash it with the NXT car wash, and tried a couple spots with the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and then followed on the same spots with the Clay Bar Kit.

For a full report, including photos, go here
    Rob's Vette

Thanks for all your help.
    Rob
    1985 C4 Corvette
    1990 Jeep Wrangler
    1998 Ford Expedition
    2000 Grand Cherokee
    2000 Harley Fatboy

"He who dies with the most toys wins!"

Pics of my Vette

Rob,

Welcome!

This might be the best single website to get you started. The guy that writes it is almost (note almost) as sharp as Mike Phillips.

Tom

Comment

Here's the basic order of steps to follow,

Washing
      Before detailing your Corvette, first do an extremely good job of washing it. Remove all the dirt from all the nooks and crannies. This prevents any small abrasive dirt particle from entering into the machine polishing process and potentially instilling a swirl. Get the Car Sparkling Clean to start with and everything will be downhill after that.

Claying
      After that clay the car, at least the horizontal surfaces. Again, do a good job of claying to insure you remove all above surface contaminants. The level of gloss you can achieve from your car's finish is mostly determined by how smooth you can make your paint. Claying will make your car's finish as smooth as glass.

Cleaning
      Cleaning is different than washing. Cleaning is removing both above surface defects like oxidation and below surface defects like swirls, scratches, etchings, and dirt that has embedded itself under the surface. Choose the appropriate paint cleaner for the condition of your car's finish and your application process. If you're unsure of which paint cleaner or cleaner/polish is right for your car, describe your car and if possible post a picture and we'll be glad to make some recommendations.

Polishing
      Polishing after removing the defects is typically using a pure polish that is non-abrasive to restore brilliant high gloss and deep, dark reflections. This is an optional step and one best used on medium to dark colored car.

Protecting
      This is where you apply your choice of wax or paint protectant. Adding a layer or two of wax creates a sacrificial-barrier on your car's paint to protect it and also add shine and gloss. Generally, two thin coats will insure even coverage with a uniform appearance.

Maintaining
      Maintaining is the use of products like a quick detailer or a spray wax to maintain that "Just detailed look" in-between regular washings, and the regular application of a normal coat of wax.

Meguiar's always teaches,

"Always use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

Now that you have the G-100 and the essentials kit, for the Cleaning step, I would recommend trying the #80 Speed Glaze with a W-8006 foam pad on the 5.0 setting. Buff for 3-4 minutes an area about 16" square. Stop buffing and wipe off the residue and inspect in two kinds of light if possible. If it's looking good, then do the entire car and then apply wax.

If it's not removing as much of the swirls and scratches as you would like to see, then try a test section using the #83 DACP. After buffing the test section on the 5.0 setting with a dedicated pad, re-polish the same area with the #80 Speed Glaze and then wipe the residue from this step off and inspect again. Whatever results you see here will be about as good as you're going to get without using a rotary buffer.

The idea is to see if you can restore an acceptable finish using the least aggressive product.

Here's a suggestions, you might want to use a permanent marker to mark the back of your buffing pads with the product number you're using with them with a so you don't mix products on to different pads.

Hope this helps...

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

Were you able to take a look at the pictures of what I am working with?? Just wondering if the products you recommend are based on the condition of the car, or if they are general rules of thumb....

Thanks,
        Rob
        1985 C4 Corvette
        1990 Jeep Wrangler
        1998 Ford Expedition
        2000 Grand Cherokee
        2000 Harley Fatboy

Pics of my Vette

Comment

Originally posted by Rob's Garage
          Mike,

Were you able to take a look at the pictures of what I am working with?? Just wondering if the products you recommend are based on the condition of the car, or if they are general rules of thumb....

Thanks,
          Rob
          Hi Rob,

Yes I did click over and look at the pictures of your Corvette. It looks like it could use a good polishing. As a practice, since it sounds like you're new to polishing with the dual action polisher, I would clay the entire finish first just to make sure all above surface contaminants have been removed, and then I would do the test section like I mentioned with the #80 and inspect. You might even want to apply a coat of wax after removing the #80, let it dry and then inspect to get a true and accurate assessment of what your end-results are going to look like.

You could also try a text section right next to this first test section starting with the #83, then going to the #80 and then a coat of wax and compare the two sections and follow the recipe that looks best.

Without being their in person it's hard to say for sure what to use and what to do, but either of these to options should result in a much more clear, glossier and overall better looking finish.

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Ok, I received the G100 today along with the products in the Essentials kit. (**edit**, I just realized they sent me the wrong kit of products. Thay sent the kit for "Polishing by Hand", instead of the "Power Polishing Kit")

What I didn't have was the products I see referred to in the posts (#80, #81, #82 etc).....

So I went to my local Pep Boys and all they had was #6 (cleaner Wax), #7 (Show Car Glaze) and #9 (Swirl Remover)..... So I bought all three.

So, what is what? Are these products equivalent to the others? If so, In what order should I use them??? Also, I only got one foam applicator pad with the G100........ So I may only be able to use one product. Where can I get more pads to avoid using the same pad with different products???

Thanks,
            Rob
            Last edited by Rob's Garage; Dec 28, 2004, 02:11 PM.
            1985 C4 Corvette
            1990 Jeep Wrangler
            1998 Ford Expedition
            2000 Grand Cherokee
            2000 Harley Fatboy

Pics of my Vette

Comment

Hi Rob,

The essentials kit was supposed to come with a pad kit along with #83 DACP and #80 Speed Glaze as well as other things?

The *Essentials* Pro Kit for G-100 Holiday Package:
              Professional Detailing Clay - Mild [/b] C2000
              #80 Speed Glaze M8032
              #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish - 32 oz. M8332
              #16 Professional Paste Wax - 11oz. M1611
              #26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax - 16 oz. M2616
              DA Velcro Buffing System - 3 Pads and Backing Plate WDAV99
              Ultimate Bonnet - 6.5" - 3 each M9920
              FREE SHIPPING!*
              (*Continental US and Canada Only)

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Rob,

I just read your edit,

Call Customer Car tomorrow, I'm pretty sure they're closed by now with our holiday hours.

Here's the phone number 1-800-347-5700

Tell them what happened and even refer to you post here and I'll guarantee you they will take care of you. I apologize for the mixed up order. I can assure you it is the exception, not the rule.

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I just edited the above post.

Apparently they sent me the wrong kit. They sent the Detailing By Hand kit rather than the Power Polishing kit for the G100... UGHHH!!!

THIS SUX...... There goes my weekend I had set aside to do all this work!
                  1985 C4 Corvette
                  1990 Jeep Wrangler
                  1998 Ford Expedition
                  2000 Grand Cherokee
                  2000 Harley Fatboy

Pics of my Vette

Comment

Apparently they sent me the wrong kit. They sent the Detailing By Hand kit rather than the Power Polishing kit for the G100... UGHHH!!!

There goes my weekend I had set aside to do all this work!
                    Hi Rob,

Call Customer Car tomorrow, they open at 7:00am Pacific Standard Time. Tell them I told you to call them and see if they can do any kind of rush shipment.

Here's the phone number 1-800-347-5700

Again, I apologize for the mix up.

Mike
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hey Rob,

I agree with Mike. After viewing your photos, the Vette will need some work.

Be real careful around the deep scuffs so that they do not destroy your buffing pads. I have a feeling, you will need to start off with #83 DACP and a Polishing pad. Set the PC to speed 5 and work the product down until only a slight residue remains. This may take 3-5 minutes for a 2'x2' section. After completing the car, go around with a fresh W-8006 Polishing Pad and some #80 Speed Glaze. Top with 2 coats of NXT Tech Wax.

Keep us posted! I am anxious to see the finish product especially after the install of the Body Kit!

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

What I didn't have was the products I see referred to in the posts (#80, #81, #82 etc).....

So I went to my local Pep Boys and all they had was #6 (cleaner Wax), #7 (Show Car Glaze) and #9 (Swirl Remover)..... So I bought all three.

So, what is what? Are these products equivalent to the others? If so, In what order should I use them??? Also, I only got one foam applicator pad with the G100........ So I may only be able to use one product. Where can I get more pads to avoid using the same pad with different products???

Thanks,
                        Rob
                        Hi Rob,

First off, to find the Professional products you need to look for a PBE store, here's a how-to article that will explain what a PBE store is and three ways to find one.

How to locate Meguiar’s Professional & Detailer products in your hometown

If you don't find the Meguiar's product your looking for in a PBE store but you see other Meguiar's products, chances are very good they can order the product you want and have it in a day or two.

Check your PM's.

Mike
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Ok, long story short.

I got the situation resolved. I will have the right kit in time for this weekend. Unfortunately it meant dropping another $100 for it, and I am just gonna keep the other stuff because they wanted ME to pay for the shipping to send it back.

Maybe I will use it eventually.

Rob
                          1985 C4 Corvette
                          1990 Jeep Wrangler
                          1998 Ford Expedition
                          2000 Grand Cherokee
                          2000 Harley Fatboy

Pics of my Vette

Comment

Ok, long story short.

I got the situation resolved. I will have the right kit in time for this weekend. Unfortunately it meant dropping another $100 for it, and I am just gonna keep the other stuff because they wanted ME to pay for the shipping to send it back.

Maybe I will use it eventually.

Rob
                            Hi Rob,

I also sent you the below in an e-mail earlier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Hi Rob,

Everyone is now out of the office for the rest of the week. As soon as I can get a hold of Tom McDonald, a friend and college of mine, we will take care of this for you. It was our mistake and I’ll personally take care of this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The most important thing we needed to accomplish first was to get you your products in time for the weekend because like you previously posted,

THIS ***...... There goes my weekend I had set aside to do all this work!
                            I'll take care of the rest of the matter asap.

Mike
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike......

I received the kit today. VERY FAST. I was impressed with that. Now we will see what happens on the mix up....

Any ways, what are the "bonnets" used for??? do I put them over the pads when applying products? ALL products or just certain ones, or what??

Thanks,
                              Rob
                              Last edited by Rob's Garage; Dec 30, 2004, 02:36 PM.
                              1985 C4 Corvette
                              1990 Jeep Wrangler
                              1998 Ford Expedition
                              2000 Grand Cherokee
                              2000 Harley Fatboy

Pics of my Vette

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');