• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning Diesel Motors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Diesel Motors?

I had heard some years back that you are NOT suppose to clean diesel engines. I can't see that being true but thought I'd pose the question here. If there are no issues, is there any thing "special" to note about them when cleaning (above the obvious component protection mentioned in numerous threads)?
    My neighbor has a Ford F250 (black 2007) and has been over in Afghanistan for the last 9 months and is due home in about a week. I am going to detail his truck as it has been sitting outside for all that time in the Arizona weather and is a total mess. I just figured it was the least I could do for him for all he has given for us.

Any info/suggestions are appreciated as always.

Don
    Don
    "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Re: Cleaning Diesel Motors?

Hey don

I don't see any thing wrong besides what you already know about some components, sensors ect. Also look around carefully and check all componets and wires for anything that may be out of place or loose.

I worked at a westernstar truck dealership and used a pressure washer that could knock you backwards when standing on the top of the tires if you wasn't braced and did this on every truck that came in there with no problems, just watch when you get around end connectors and the obvious.

Thank him for me too!!!! Also post up pics of the detail!

Hope I've been of some help.
    LATER
    ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
    You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
    Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Double check around the engine compartment for damage/bare wire and components. Since the truck is an '07 its going to have weather proof connectors on all connection points. When i do my truck, (05 Dodge Diesel) i cover the alternator and air filter. Everything else is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 05ram25004x4 View Post
        Double check around the engine compartment for damage/bare wire and components. Since the truck is an '07 its going to have weather proof connectors on all connection points. When i do my truck, (05 dodge diesel) i cover the alternator and air filter. Everything else is fine.
        +1 !!
        Addicted

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help. I am waiting on UPS to deliver my shipment of pads, swirl-X and other stuff so I can begin the task. I will post pictures Stang if I can. I didn't think I could being new the this forum, but maybe I can.
          Don
          "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

Comment

I do engine degreasing all the time when doing fleets. I use low pressure and 225 degrees, after applying a degreaser. Never to date have experienced a single complaint or problem.
            James Cooney
            Owner
            http://GrimeBustersPressureWashing.com

Comment

Actually, Ford advises the owner to clean their Powerstroke diesel engine. I also have a '07 Ford Powerstroke F-250, and along with the owners manual there should be another small booklet that came with the truck called the 6.0 Supplement which details specific items concerning the Powerstroke diesel engine. One of them is keeping the engine clean and it has a small diagram of the 4-5 underhood items that should be protected with a bag or plastic before cleaning the engine. If you can't find the booklet it can be downloaded from Ford's website or if you have trouble finding it send me a PM and I can send you a copy. Hope this helps.
              Last edited by laclede; Mar 21, 2010, 05:51 AM. Reason: spell correction

Comment

^^^ That's pretty neat!

Comment

laclede....
                  Thanks for that info. I will look to see if my neighbor has that book in the truck. If not, I will PM you. When you say you could send me a copy, do you mean via email or USPS? Just curious. Still waiting on my Meguiar's shipment of cleaning stuff b4 I can get started, but am now thinking that I must get going on this. I am growing impatience cuz I know Steve is on his way home (last report he had left Afghanistan for someplace in Russia) and this thing is a BEAST. As I'm sure you know, there is a huge amount of acreage to detail.

Don

Comment

If you can't find the hardcopy I can just email you a copy - it's just a small pdf file. Glad I could make myself of some use here instead of just soaking up the great information and reaping the benefits.
                    Anyways, you're right these trucks are beasts but I am really happy with mine. And "lots of acreage to cover" is an understatement, especially being a black vehicle. When you're finished though it will be all worthwhile, for you and your neighbor. His service is much appreciated.
                    Let me know if you or anyone else on this forum needs a copy of the booklet, I'd be happy to pass on the copies.

Comment

So here's the engine. I mis-spoke previously saying it was a 2007 F250. It is actually a 2005 (per Steve's wife).

Sorry, didn't want to post this (yet), meant only to "preview"...stay tuned.

Last edited by gto_don; Mar 25, 2010, 07:38 PM. Reason: posting error
                      Don

Comment

As previously stated, this is a 2005 Ford F250, not a 2007. This was my first "detail" outside of my own vehicles. I will be posting complete exterior detail pictures in the appropriate thread shortly.

Before:

After:

Again, Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and advice. MOL ROCKS ! !

Don

Comment

Nice work!
                          I'm right behind you as I'll be doing mine this weekend for the first spring underhood cleaning....... if the weather cooperates.

Comment

Originally posted by 05ram25004x4 View Post
                            Double check around the engine compartment for damage/bare wire and components. Since the truck is an '07 its going to have weather proof connectors on all connection points.
                            Just wondering, is there some sort of year that most connectors became weatherproof (2003?)? If not, what other ways can you tell if they are weatherproof?

Comment

I don't know about other brands, but GM phased in the weatherpak connectors in the 90's. Look at the connectors at the point where the wires enter the plugs. On the older ones, you could look in through the back if the connectors and view the wires and terminals inside. The newer plugs fit tightly around the incoming wires to reduce water intrusion.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');