• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porter cable?

I always here that porter cable's buffers remove swirls and scratches. i have a simple orbit buffer i picked up from walmart for about 30.00. can i achieve the same results? what makes the porter cables remove all the swirls compared to a normal buffer? is it the buffer or the product(scratch/swirl remover) used that gets the job done?thanks!

Re: Porter cable?

Originally posted by 01SOMSS! View Post
    I always here that porter cable's buffers remove swirls and scratches. i have a simple orbit buffer i picked up from walmart for about 30.00. can i achieve the same results? what makes the porter cables remove all the swirls compared to a normal buffer? is it the buffer or the product(scratch/swirl remover) used that gets the job done?thanks!
    An orbital is not used for paint correction (swirl/defect removal). They are used for wax application/removal only...they simply do not have the power for correction. Porter cable and similar D.A. (dual action) polishers basically mimic hand movement, but with much greater speed and power. As far as the correction process, it is a combination of machine used and product used. This is a VERY basic explanation of your questions. My advise would be to use the search tab, and read through forums. All of your questions will be answered in more detail. Enjoy the reading!!!!! It will become your new hobby!!!!
    There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Comment

The simple orbit buffer you are describing can be a useful tool to buff out your wax at the end of your detail. I have not encountered one that could handle the load that is placed on the tool when attempting to use it for finish correction.
      The second question you asked concerning is it the buffer or the product - In my humble opinion it is a convergence of the right tools, the right product, and the skills of the detailer to bring about an excellent result.

Comment

Originally posted by agp56 View Post
        The second question you asked concerning is it the buffer or the product - In my humble opinion it is a convergence of the right tools, the right product, and the skills of the detailer to bring about an excellent result.
        Couldn't have said it better!
        There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Comment

i see. do small buffers cause swirl marks at all? I've been afraid to use mine at times because of it. that's why at times i perfer doing it by hand.

Comment

As long as you have a good quality, CLEAN microfiber bonnet, it will not cause swirls.

Comment

Originally posted by kimchiyuk View Post

An orbital is not used for paint correction (swirl/defect removal). They are used for wax application/removal only...

Porter cable and similar D.A. (dual action) polishers basically mimic hand movement, but with much greater speed and power.

The Porter Cable 7424 is an orbital

Comment

The Porter Cable is a random orbit dual action machine with a 4.5 amp motor and several speeds to choose from based on what you are tring to accomplish.

Comment

once i get a porter cable what products/steps do you guys recomend me to use to remove swirl marks and scratches.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');