• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT & More Garage Party on Sat. Dec. 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT & More Garage Party on Sat. Dec. 18

On Saturday, December 18, our MINI club, c3 (Cooper Club for Charities) held our monthly detailing clinic. Eleven MINI's showed up, most prewashed!

Here are a few waiting to be detailed.

We first did a visual inspection of each car before we actually did any work. We looked at the condition of plastic trim, and looked for areas on the paint that had embedded residue. In some cases we found yellow highway paint, and others tar, as well as unknown particles that wouldn't come off with water or even a liberal soaking of Quik Detailer. In those cases, we knew that Clay was likely the answer. We took into consideration the year of the car, and whether the car was garaged or lived outdoors, and how frequently the car was washed to determine the products we would use. For the 2005's, we washed with Meguiar's NXT Car Wash , then used Meguiar's Clay to remove spot residue, then buffed with the PCDA and NXT Tech Wax as we determined clay wasn't needed, and we were in short supply of clay.

This was the first car we worked on, a 2002 Dark Silver MCS which fortunately needed the most work. While the owner took pretty good care of the car, and even washed it before bringing it to the clinic, there were a lot of issues that were immediately evident.

The black plastic trim around the wheel arches were grey and mottled instead of rich black.

The white plastic mirror caps were scuffed and dirtied with traces of red bug guts.

The surface of the paint was rough to the touch in many areas. We Quik Detailed the entire car first and wiped it down
    with microfiber towels.

We claybarred the entire car using QD as a lubricant and used QD to wipe the residue off.

It was certainly a team effort!

Even though most of the people had never held a PCDA before, they all got hands on experience today!
    Next using a soft buffing pad, and #83 we buffed and polished out the finish.

Here I am (the host) showing the proper use of the PCDA.

On certain areas like the roof and the mirror caps, I used ScratchX and the buffing pad as well. Then NXT Tech Wax was used, and we finished the car off with a coat of Gold Class Clear Coat Wax . I apologize for not having any decent AFTER pics but I can say that we made the mirror caps white again--the scratches couldn't be seen any longer and the finish that once felt like sandpaper was now smooth as glass!

The owner was super pleased! He had to leave so we moved on to the next car. I only got a few shots of the car before he took off. It turns out he went to shoot these pictures. Look at that shine!!!

The next car up was a 2005 Dark Silver MCS with a black roof. A quick check over revealed the finish didn't need much work. We limited our work to Quik Detailing, plastic trim, clay for removing some foreign particles from the paint, and NXT Tech Wax.

Getting Prepped

Claying the boot (The boot or hatch area is like a dust magnet)

Maren, the owner, is using the PCDA for the first time and she's handling it like a pro!

Spreading the NXT

Not the best lighting. We were pressed for time and space to work. Since we were always working on atleast 2 cars at a time, space to move into the sun was limited.

By this time, after working on two MINI's in the blazing sun, we needed a break so we went inside for some food, socializing, and a surprise birthday party for one of our members!

Check out the fantastic 3d cake made by Jirawan!

After about an hour and half of rest, fun, food, and more food we decided it was time to get back to work.

Our next MINI was a 2003 Pepper White MC

It was immaculate! The owner had to leave, so we just did Quik Detailer on the wheels and body, and cleaned the glass with Stoners glass cleaner.

Toshi is working on the tires

Next up was this 2002 Silk Green MC. We wanted to give all the newcomers priority detailing before we tackled any member cars!

We gave the full treatment to this MINI as well--NXT Wash, Clay Bar, Quik Detailer, NXT Tech Wax, Gold Class.

A blurry picture of me!

Matthew the owner is using the PCDA

I can't wait to use the new brushes!! It would have made our work so much quicker!!

Kinda blurry--the sun was going down.

A late arrival--a 2005 JCW Cabriolet with every mod you could dream of.

My 7-1/2 month old son observing the fun!

As you can see it got dark pretty quickly. I didn't take pix of the remaining MINI's because we were racing the sunlight! These were member cars and we mostly just did Quik Detailer and NXT Tech Wax. I also installed an Ian Cull Auto Up circuit and did a British Male voice mod. All in all, it was a fantastic day, with lots of holiday cheer, and shiny cars everywhere! Several attendees told me that as a direct result of the days hands on experience they were going to go buy a bunch of Meguiar's products!

We love Meguiar's!!!
    Last edited by OctaneGuy; Dec 20, 2004, 10:23 AM.
    Richard Lin
    ShowCarDetailing
    5548 E. La Palma Ave
    Anaheim, CA 92807
    toll free: 866 707 9292

Wow!

Awesome job on the write-up and the pictures Richard! I know how long this takes to do and we really appreciate all the time and work you put into the Meguiar's Mini Clinic as well as posting your pictures and write-up to our forums!

All I can say is,

Nice cake by the way!

And this picture is simply amazing!

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike! It was a terrific day and best of all everybody had fun while learning tons! That photo of the MINI below was taken by the owner of the first MINI we worked on. He is a fantastic photographer. I believe he will be offering this style of photography to any enthusiast in Southern California soon.

Oh and Jirawan made that cake--she's the bright red MINI Cooper towards the end of your Product Accessories writeup.

Richard

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      Wow!

Awesome job on the write-up and the pictures Richard! I know how long this takes to do and we really appreciate all the time and work you put into the Meguiar's Mini Clinic as well as posting your pictures and write-up to our forums!

All I can say is,

Nice cake by the way!

And this picture is simply amazing!

Richard Lin
      ShowCarDetailing
      5548 E. La Palma Ave
      Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Thanks to Richard (OctaneGuy) for spending the day educating us on proper care for our car's finish. My MINI is 2.5 years old and has 53,000 miles on it, and after this session it looked as good as the day I purchased it.

I'll definitely be getting more of the Meguiar's products in the future. The shine really came through well in the photos.

Here they are in a little higher resolution.

As Richard mentioned above, I am now doing automotive photography part time and would be interested in shooting any of your cars. Depending on your needs (personal use / commercial) we could work out a fair price. I'm shooting the pictures with my digital SLR, so making prints 8 by 10, 16 by 20, or larger is possible. Again, it depends on what you're interested in, but the capability is there to do some large impressive prints.

Thanks once more to Richard for showing us all the Meguiar's product. I'm definitely sold on the system. The timing couldn't be better as I'm nearly out of most of my current detailing product.
        David Bunting
        motoringphotography.com

Comment

Thanks to c3 and Richard

Thank you Richard and c3 for the Meguiars Mini Garage Party!
          I learned so much about the products and getting my Mini looking great!

Ran out the next day and stocked up on a bunch of product!

We had a great time!

Comment

thanks for a great day

Thanks Richard - it was a great day.

So much fun to meet other MINI owners and compare cars as well as working together to clean up our cars.

I learn more each time we do this and see more great new products everytime. I'm going to go order one of those rolling Meguiars carts that Matthew had with him to keep all my detail stuff in so it's handy!

Thanks again for hosting and teaching us so much helpful info.

Linda

Linda
            VP c3
            c3club.org

Comment

Re: thanks for a great day

Originally posted by lindavf150

Linda

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Richard is awesome! My thanks to Richard also.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: thanks for a great day

Think you want this!

Thanks!!

Richard

Originally posted by lindavf150

So much fun to meet other MINI owners and compare cars as well as working together to clean up our cars.

I learn more each time we do this and see more great new products everytime. I'm going to go order one of those rolling Meguiars carts that Matthew had with him to keep all my detail stuff in so it's handy!

Linda

Richard Lin
                ShowCarDetailing
                5548 E. La Palma Ave
                Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Re: Re: thanks for a great day

Thanks Mike!! I learned it all from you!

Richard

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                  Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Richard is awesome! My thanks to Richard also.

Mike
                  Richard Lin
                  ShowCarDetailing
                  5548 E. La Palma Ave
                  Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Wow, it was such a fun event!

With Richard's detailing Clinic/Expertise, Jirawan's "MINI-domestic" food items & B-Day surprise, Clover's salad, & all the wonderful detailing crew; there is no better way to spend a Saturday

I never thought i could get some of those severe scratches from low tree branches out of the roof...
                    Next time, we have to do Richard's Lil' Octane first since he was missed due to all the festivities & fast sunset... Guess even a MINI can't outrun the day's end eh?

Minty will be washed in advance next time...it sure cuts down the time it takes to detail. Thanks to everyone (especially Richard) who patiently washed, clayed, detailed, polished, & waxed her :-)

-Matthew

btw: The Meguiar's Ultimate Organizer works great, but the pockets could be a little more generous/elastic. I'd like the wheels to be lockable too... A lid/tray for the it would also be nice to keep dust out & house detailing tools.

(Hmmm...i should just design one & send it off to to Meguiar's eh? nobody would mind paying $150 for a detailing bin right?)
                    Last edited by MintyCPR; Dec 22, 2004, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');