• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this a porter cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this a porter cable?

i got i think is a porter cable from my brother.

Now can you educate me on using one
    How often do i use it on the car?
    what speed?
    What type of bonnet should i use on it?
    How do i use it to remove scratches and swirl marks?
    what products so i use for the previouse Q?
    thanks guys!

Re: is this a porter cable?

I believe what you have there is a rotary buffer. A porter cable is a dual-action buffer -- easier and safer to use for a beginner. But don't worry, with proper technique, even beginners can do a decent job with rotaries! Just wait for others to chime in, I don't have any experience with rotaries so I can't tell ya any tips lol
    2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
    Black Obsidian

Comment

That pad has seen better days.

Comment

That is not a porter cable polisher. It is in fact a cheap harbor freight one. A rotary polisher like this one is not recommended for people new to polishing to use. I would set this aside and picked up used DA polisher like a porter cable 7424 XP, Meguiars G110v2, or Griots ROP.

But to answer your questions.

How often do i use it on the car?
        This is a paint dependent question that can not be specifically answered. The amount of times you can use it depends upon the paint thickness(need a PTG or Paint thickness Gauge), types of pads used, and types of polishes used.

what speed?
        This is all dependent upon the products used and what they call for but a general RPM for correction work is 1400-1800RPM. There are also special techniques like the Zenith technique, KBM, and burnishing/jeweling.

What type of bonnet should i use on it?
        You dont use bonnets on a rotary polisher. That is reserved for traditional orbital buffers and DA polishers. For a good and easy starting basis for pads look at meguairs offerings.

How do i use it to remove scratches and swirl marks?
        Again this is not a polisher for people with no previous knowledge in paint correction so if you have to ask this question you are not ready for a rotary polisher.

what products so i use for the previouse Q?
        A very popular meguiars combination right now is M105/M205 but many other products work exceptionally well and product fantastic results. D151 is a great product to use as 1 Step AIO product or you can use it for multi stages almost like Meguiars M86 solo. I still love using the old 80 series products too(m80, m82, m83.)

Originally posted by Clutch34 View Post
        I believe what you have there is a rotary buffer. A porter cable is a dual-action buffer -- easier and safer to use for a beginner. But don't worry, with proper technique, even beginners can do a decent job with rotaries! Just wait for others to chime in, I don't have any experience with rotaries so I can't tell ya any tips lol
        What he has is a rotary polisher but a porter cable is not necessary a dual-action polisher either. Porter cable is just a brand like meguiars. Porter cable makes saws, power tools, sanders, comoressors,..etc.
        Alan T.

Comment

Originally posted by Lasthope05 View Post

What he has is a rotary polisher but a porter cable is not necessary a dual-action polisher either. Porter cable is just a brand like meguiars. Porter cable makes saws, power tools, sanders, comoressors,..etc.
          Gotcha! Thanks for the info!
          2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
          Black Obsidian

Comment

Originally posted by Lasthope05 View Post
            Exactly. Porter Cable makes a DA (7424XP)

and a rotary (7428)

Comment

Harbor Freight, inexpensive rotary. Good for the weekend warrior. Would not recommend use by a pro.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

i see thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');