• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time waxing my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time waxing my car

I just waxed my car yesterday using some Gold Class Liquid Wax. I have a few questions about it. First off the wax went on/off really well. I put on two coats and it looked great.

My first question is how long will the wax last? Where i live, at the moment there is plenty of snow/salt/dirt on the road, how will that effeect the wax?

My second question is, would it be better if i used a layer of gold class, and then a layer of NXT 2.0 (from what i heard the NXT last longer). Or would it be better to buy a bottle of NXT 2.0 and use it for both coats?

My final question (sorry if i sound very new because i am hah) is how many coats of wax should i apply? I applied 1, waiting about 4-5 hours and did another, then waiting around 12.

Thanks so much for an input.

Re: First time waxing my car

My first question is how long will the wax last? Where i live, at the moment there is plenty of snow/salt/dirt on the road, how will that effeect the wax?
    Well, the worse the environment, the shorter the wax will last. If you can use something like Ultimate Quick Wax after future washes, it will help extend the life.

My second question is, would it be better if i used a layer of gold class, and then a layer of NXT 2.0 (from what i heard the NXT last longer). Or would it be better to buy a bottle of NXT 2.0 and use it for both coats?
    Most durable would likely be 2 coats of Nxt, of course it could end up lasting about the same.

My final question (sorry if i sound very new because i am hah) is how many coats of wax should i apply? I applied 1, waiting about 4-5 hours and did another, then waiting around 12.
    2 coats is recomended. It is nice to wait at least 15 minutes between coats, and the longer the better as far as looks. Its not like all the wax slides off if you only wait 20 min.

Did you do any sort of prep before waxing, like using a cleaner, or cleaner/wax, etc? Having the surface as perfect as possible will help the durability and looks.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Well for surface prep.. long story for that. I was washing my car and lost track of time, so i decides "hey why not take it to the local bubles car wash (which is not touchless). Needless to say the did HUGE damage to my pain, so i spent about 6 hours using scratch x to clear up the insane swirls and scratchs they left. Needless to say i love scratchx now. So for prep i bascially scratchx'd the whole car. I didnt use a clay bar, since the car is only 3 weeks old.

Comment

You can consider claying next time, you might be surprised what you find.

You can use something milder like SwirlX for general cleaning in the future, or something like Cleaner/Wax or ColorX.

Comment

Ive never tried colorx, is it a paint strictly a paint cleaner?

Comment

IMHO claying is a must. Even on new cars. The contamination in transport is tremendous.

2 coats of wax is usually recommended.
            Wait at least 15-20 minutes before applying the 2nd coat.

As fo r what wax. It generally comes done to what combo looks good to yiur eye. Some may go with 2 coats of the same wax. While others go for a combination of 2 waxes.

There are many factors that go into the longevity of your wax. Obviously the harsher the environment the shorter the wax life.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

okay, well i guess next time im at canadian tire, ill pick up a claying kit. In anyone's opinion (especially those who already helped me out alot) which is your favorite wax? i have only tried gold class, so and feedback on other waxs would be great.

Comment

Gold Class 2.0 or Nxt 2.0 would be pretty top of the line. Nxt 2.0 being a bit more durable possibly.

ColorX is actualy a cleaner/wax, so it would cover the cleaning/polishing, and the first coat of wax.

Comment

ill for sure try out colorx. So when applying, do i work in like a cleaner, and then let it sit so it can dry?

Comment

Yeah, work it in a bit, then let it dry,

Its not a real strong cleaner, so no need to go nuts working it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Steveo47 View Post
                      It's only recommended the two coats of wax to ensure a even coverage of the surface for a even look and protection.

You did a great job. Any pictures?

Comment

man i wish, i waxed my car, cleaned it up... then it snowed the next day, so its covered in road grim ect right now. NEXT time i wax it ill take a few pitcures, i do have a picture of the damage the bubble car wash (which basically dominated my paint job did) if anyone is interested.

Comment

I purchased the 3-Step Crystal System at Canadian Tire and used it on my dark blue TBSS with great results just before the winter. It's due for another treatment as soon as the spring weather takes hold. I used the system on the clearcoat rims as well recently with great success.
                          My other favourite is NXT 2.0. It makes dark paint look wet.

Comment

So to all of you, which wax would give a black car a deeper/glossy lookin finished, gold class liquid wax (not the carnuba, i cant find any of that in canada yet) or nxt 2.0 liquid?

I also have the three step, but my first trys with it were terrible (since i tried using mf towels). i plan on trying it again since i bought about 15 foam applicator pads. Once the slow melts ill go for the full clay/polish/wax.

Ive got a wierd sort of question, what would happen if i mixed gold calss liquid wax, nxt 2.0 and the DC step 3 carnuba wax? Would i create a super wax or would it just not do anything?

Comment

The Gold class will give you a deeper/glossy look. Nxt has more of a reflective look to it. Try both...use the NXT first since it is considered more of a paint sealant. Wait 12 hours and then apply a coat of the Gold Class.
                              I wouldn't mix any of those waxes together. The Megs chemists didn't formulate them to be mixed.
                              Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');