• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time waxing my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First time waxing my car

okay, you gave me an excuse to buy some nxt 2.0. Ive been dying to try it, but i didnt want to waste my gold class (as it made my car look great).

Comment

I would be picking a 2.0 product.... So if you can only find of them then, that's what I would use.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Steveo47:
        you can get #26 "yellow" carnuba wax at many Canadian Tire stores (that is where I get mine), and most also carry the M07 glaze (and/or DC2-polish/glaze).

GoldClass and ColorX will give you a deep warm look, and they both contain some polish/glaze/oils to help with that. DC3 and #26 are Pure carnuba, so with them you would want to consider using some DC2-polish or M07-showcarGlaze after a cleaner (like SwirlX) before them. If your "cleaner" was the cleaner in ColorX then skip any glaze step (since the glaze wont penetrate the colorx wax, and colorx already has some glaze in it).

GoldClass contains some polymers (but is not fully synthetic like NXT2) and some carnuba (but is not pure carnuba like DC3), so it sort-of already is a blend (done by the Meguiars chemists).

you can apply NXT2 on top of any other meguiars wax, but as others have said the synthetic polymer sealants in it bond better to clean paint (without any intervening wax). So, if you want a pre-combined single wax, use GoldClass. If you want to apply multiple waxes, consider NXT2 followed by a pure carnuba like DC3 or #26 or possibly even followed by GoldClass. ColorX is best as a single all-in-one mini-detail, although you could top it with a 2nd coat of any other pure (non-cleaner) wax if you wish. Dont put ColorX ontop of another wax since the cleaners in it will remove all of the existing wax.
        2010 XRS

Comment

Doesn NXT 2.0 contain any type of polish in it such as gold class? or will i have to apply polish seperatly if i use nxt 2.0?

Comment

In the future for regular cleaning, SwirlX is a cleaner/polish. I also believe the Nxt 2.0 has some polish in it, pretty sure I saw it mentioned as a polish/wax. The cleaner/waxes also have polish in them.

Frankly, I think most of the products have a little bit of oil in them.

Nonetheless, you certainly can do a separate step. New modern clear coats don't need as much polishing oil as the older paints either, so it is not as vital to do a separate step, other than for looks. As the clear coat ages, it will 'open up' a bit more, making polishing oil more beneficial.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

alright, ill use my DC step two polish i have layin around.

Comment

Originally posted by Steveo47 View Post
                Does NXT 2.0 contain any type of polish in it such as gold class? or will i have to apply polish seperatly if i use nxt 2.0?
                Unclear. Meguiars (and other manufacturers) treat their product contents as trade-secrets so those details are usually not explicit. That is how they can invest the huge research time to optimize their products without then having them immediately ripped-off by imitators. That said, Meguiars is quite reasonable about giving general guidelines about content.
                - I *think* there is some very light polish/oils in NXT2, but only Meguiars can confirm.

So, I personally only do the polish/glaze/oils step as part of a detail, following a wash+clay+cleaner(SwirlX etc) and then seal that glaze with NXT2. After that I just wash+rewax until the next time I detail again.

If you did a good job of preparation (wash+clay+cleaner) then the glaze nicely finishes that preparation (nuturing oils go into the paint/clearcoat micro-pores) and the synthetic sealant (NXT2 or #21) will do a good and durable job of sealing that in. Hence you can usually just wash+UQW weely after that, and maybe wash+rewax every 1-2 months (without using a cleaner since it would remove the glaze and NXT2 sealant).

Make sense?
                2010 XRS

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  In the future for regular cleaning, SwirlX is a cleaner/polish. I also believe the Nxt 2.0 has some polish in it, pretty sure I saw it mentioned as a polish/wax. The cleaner/waxes also have polish in them.

Frankly, I think most of the products have a little bit of oil in them.

Nonetheless, you certainly can do a separate step. New modern clear coats don't need as much polishing oil as the older paints either, so it is not as vital to do a separate step, other than for looks. As the clear coat ages, it will 'open up' a bit more, making polishing oil more beneficial.
                  Murr1525 makes a very good and subtle point.
                  1) The fact that SwirlX has some polish in it is why I often use it as a paintCleaner and skip the glaze, especially on light cars (I personally tend to keep the glaze step on red or black/dark cars).
                  2) If instead of cleaning, if I am actually trying to remove minor defects, SwirlX makes it harder to know if they are removed (due to the glaze), and you need to IPA wipe the surface to check. Hence for defect remove I tend to go to ScratchX which does not have glaze in it (as far as I can tell) so I can tell easier if I really have removed the defects.
                  3) I sometimes use SwirlX to remove very minor swirls and glaze in one step, believing that the result is "good enough".
                  2010 XRS

Comment

I just bought a bottle of NXT 2.0, but used gold class wax on my car not even 5 days ago. Im dying to try out this NXT 2.0. Would it be possible to apply the nxt 2.0 without removing my gold class wax? or must i remove the wax and start over?

Comment

Originally posted by Steveo47 View Post
                      I just bought a bottle of NXT 2.0, but used gold class wax on my car not even 5 days ago. Im dying to try out this NXT 2.0. Would it be possible to apply the nxt 2.0 without removing my gold class wax? or must i remove the wax and start over?
                      You certainly can apply NXT on top of GC. The only question is exactly what you end up with: 70%GC / 30%NXT? vice-versa? Nobody knows for sure.

Although many folks who mix carnuba and sealant do it the other way around (NXT first then Carnuba), some do it exactly the way you are describing. In essence they use GC as the "base-wax" for its depth and warmth and then use NXT as a "sealant-coat" on top. I am guessing that you will end up with a more sealant-like glossy/reflective shine, but it really comes down to largely perception.
                      2010 XRS

Comment

thanks for the input. it never hurts to try i suppose.

Comment

Steveo47:
                          I like the "logo" in your avatar. When I was amateur racing (for almost 20 years) the similar quote was "Second is the First place loser" - said (partly) in jest.

Everyone likes to win:
                          - That is why here on this forum we try to help everyone be a winner with their car.
                          2010 XRS

Comment

haha well said searle

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');