• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing "Spider webs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing "Spider webs"

Can someone direct me which product is the best to use for removing Spider webs swril marks? [I have a buffer] and does that step consider the "polish" step? if it is a separte process, which separate product to use? ( I am trying to not use product with multile use)

Hi prescott,

What are you working on? What condition is the finish?

When you say you have a buffer, what kind of buffer and pads do you have?

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike, sorry for too little info.

My finish on my car is not bad at all. All I can see are spider webs under strong sunlights or halogen lamps. I am using a Porter Cable Orbital buffer with Lake country set of pads with different "cutting strength" I am very confuse because there are so many Meguiar's product and it seems like everyone is good for everything, but then there has to be one better use than other. Therefore I am trying to find out lets say if I washed my car already, I want to do a full clean, clay, polish, and wax. Which product would be the best for my condition of paint? My car is Silver. Is there a individual cleaner, polish, and wax from Meguiar? hope this clears it up a little. thankx in advance

Comment

Hi prescott,

Here's the basic order of steps to follow with some extra comments toward the bottom on the cleaning step which is the step that removes swirls. Without seeing your car's finish first hand it can be hard to be exact, but I would recommend starting with the #80 Speed Glaze with your dual action polisher and if this isn't aggressive enough to remove the defects you can always substitute some #83. (See comments at bottom of this message).

Washing
        Before detailing your car, first do an extremely good job of washing it. Remove all the dirt from all the nooks and crannies. This prevents any small abrasive dirt particle from entering into the machine polishing process and potentially instilling a swirl. Get the Car Sparkling Clean to start with and everything will be downhill after that.

Claying
        After that clay the car, at least the horizontal surfaces. Again, do a good job of claying to insure you remove all above surface contaminants. The level of gloss you can achieve from your car's finish is mostly determined by how smooth you can make your paint. Claying will make your car's finish as smooth as glass.

Cleaning
        Cleaning is different than washing. Cleaning is removing both above surface defects like oxidation and below surface defects like swirls, scratches, etchings, and dirt that has embedded itself under the surface. Choose the appropriate paint cleaner for the condition of your car's finish and your application process. If you're unsure of which paint cleaner or cleaner/polish is right for your car, describe your car and if possible post a picture and we'll be glad to make some recommendations.

Polishing
        Polishing after removing the defects is typically using a pure polish that is non-abrasive to restore brilliant high gloss and deep, dark reflections. This is an optional step and one best used on medium to dark colored car.

Protecting
        This is where you apply your choice of wax or paint protectant. Adding a layer or two of wax creates a sacrificial-barrier on your car's paint to protect it and also add shine and gloss. Generally, two thin coats will insure even coverage with a uniform appearance.

Maintaining
        Maintaining is the use of products like a quick detailer or a spray wax to maintain that "Just detailed look" in-between regular washings, and the regular application of a normal coat of wax.

Meguiar's always teaches,

"Always use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

The idea is to see if you can restore an acceptable finish using the least aggressive product.

Take your least aggressive paint cleaner or cleaner/polish and buff for 3-4 minutes an area about 16" square. Stop buffing and wipe off the residue and inspect the results in two kinds of light, (if possible). If your results look good and are acceptable to you, then repeat this process to the entire car and then apply wax.

If your results don't look good, and the paint cleaner, or cleaner/polish is not removing as many of the swirls and scratches as you would like, then try a test section using a more aggressive product. After buffing the test section on the 5.0 setting with a dedicated pad, re-polish the same area with a less aggressive cleaner/polish or pure polish and then remove the residue and inspect again.

Starting with a mild paint cleaner or cleaner/polish and testing to see what can accomplished with it is the safe way to learn which product you will need to safely remove the defects. If the first products you try don't do the job, you can always substitute a more aggressive product.

The most aggressive you can go with Meguiar's products and a dual action polisher is using our #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish and our W-8006 foam pad on the 5.0 setting. Getting any more aggressive than this can cause hazing of the finish and if the defects are serious enough to require a more aggressive product then you should use a rotary buffer or take it to a professional who is experienced with the rotary buffer.

Here's a suggestions, you might want to use a permanent marker to mark the back of your buffing pads with the product number you're using with them with a so you don't mix products on to different pads.

Hope this helps...

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion mike. So in other words, a separate polish is not necessary for a Silver (light colour) car? (If I do need a pure polish, what are my choices)

Also, another question, (I am sorry if I should put it in another Post) It seems that no matter how I clean and scrub my wheels, there are still black brake dust stuck on my wheels. How can I remove those ugly black spots. Sorry for asking so many questions.

Comment

Originally posted by prescott
            Thank you for your suggestion mike. So in other words, a separate polish is not necessary for a Silver (light colour) car? (If I do need a pure polish, what are my choices)
            If you finish with #80 Speed Glaze, then you can go straight to wax. If you want to use a pure polish after the #80 Speed Glaze, you can use any of these pure polishes.

Deep Crystal Polish

M-03 Machine Glaze

M-05 New Car Glaze

M-07 Show Car Glaze

M-81 Hand Polish

Also, another question, (I am sorry if I should put it in another post) It seems that no matter how I clean and scrub my wheels, there are still black brake dust stuck on my wheels. How can I remove those ugly black spots. Sorry for asking so many questions.
            If your wheels are clear coated, then you could try using a paint cleaner like ScratchX, or a cleaner/wax like ColorX. If you use the ScratchX, then remember to apply a coat of wax afterwards as the ScratchX offers no protection.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');