• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time car will be detailed...need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First time car will be detailed...need some advice

Well, some products have certain purposes, and some are about personal preference (liquid/paste, etc), or buying in bulk, etc. But really only need a few to get started. And then the collection just grows slowly from there.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I certainly agree with the others in the thread, but if your in a pinch and didn't have time to clay and do everything else, I say just do the NXT 2.0 just to hold you over until you can get a full detail in.

While claying would be optimal, you certainly can wax it. It just might be a little hard to put on and off in some spots due to the crud on the paint which claying would remove.

I say head to the local Wal-Mart and pick up a bottle of Cleaner Wax for about $5 and wax with that until you have the time, space and other things needed for a full detail.

If a coin-op is an option, I would head there early (as Murr mentioned) or later at night so that you will have some time to wash (with your own buckets and mitts of course) and maybe lay a quick coat of wax down there and wipe it up there as well. A cooler cloudy day may also work as you could wash at the coin-op, head home and wax in the driveway (if it's a cool cloudy day, which might be few and far between in Texas, in MN we get a few and I did that a few weeks back).

Hope this helps and certainly let us know about your progress. I run into the same issues in the winter when I don't have the space or heat to wash and wax as I would like and these have helped me survive the winters.
      "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

I appreciate all of the feedback guys!

Here is a list of things I have as of right now, and I'll be doing the almost full out detail this Thursday:

- 2 Home Depot Buckets (can't seem to find anything resembling grit guards in stores)
        - 12 Microfiber towels from Wal-Mart (I'll be sure and order some Meg's MF's later. And as a side note, one brand new one that I got from Autozone tore in the wash but the WM ones did not so there appears to be a better quality with the WM)
        - 6 MF applicator pads from WM
        - 1 GC wash
        - 1 GC Clay Kit
        - 1 SwirlX
        - 1 DC2 Polish
        - 1 NXT 2.0 liquid
        - 1 Ultimate Protectant
        - 1 NXT 2.0 liquid wax

Comment

Yeah, get yourself a gallon of ONR. Very useful and versatile product. You may find this thread helpful: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ve-thread.html.
          Shane
          1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
            Yeah, get yourself a gallon of ONR. Very useful and versatile product. You may find this thread helpful: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ve-thread.html.
            You know, I might just try that when I get done with this GC wash. The only thing I don't like though us the bonding of the dirt to the wash sponge/mitt.

Comment

Well, the ONR is supposed to work pretty good, if it sounds good or not.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Well I just placed an order for the ONR after reading all of the great reviews. I've seen what GC wash can do to the car so I'll give this a shot, at least I can pick up some GC wash locally if it doesn't work as well as I hope. I'll be sure and post pics when I wash after it comes in, which I probably won't get to washing the car till next week at some point.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');