• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch removal.

Hello all. Long time lurker here and I could use some help.

Sitting at Dairy Queen for some ice cream with my daughter and some kid runs over to my car and runs his toy car over my hood, leaving a decent scratch.

09 Mazda CX7. Galaxy Gray. The scratch is about 6 inches long and not sure if it is thru the clearcoat, I want to say no but Im no expert. I run my nail over it and can feel it is there very slightly but my nail doesnt get stuck or grabbed at all.

I went out and got some ScratchX and already have some NXT Tech Wax. My plan is to wash the area (NXT car wash), apply ScratchX with Foam Applicator a few times, then wax. Is that my best plan of action for success or am I missing anything?

Re: Scratch removal.

Any tips regarding the specific application process of the ScratchX (pressure used, direction applied, microfibers, number of applications, etc) would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

If you have a clay kit, you it first (this is of course, after using NXT car wash). Then, use ScratchX (2.0 is better) with a foam pad. ScratchX will work better with a prepped surface (clay). You probably need to use ScratchX more than once. Then, apply a coat of TechWax.

It will not be perfect, since you mention that you can feel it with your finger nail. However, it will be BETTER.

Comment

Originally posted by mpro112 View Post
        Any tips regarding the specific application process of the ScratchX (pressure used, direction applied, microfibers, number of applications, etc) would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
        I am always a fan of applying products in CIRCULAR MOTION (it gets more coverage). Use MODERATE pressure when using ScratchX (not to light that you are barely even touching the paint; not to heavy as well that you are putting you weight into it). Use microfiber (terry towel will suffice); only towel that touches my paint.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the car. I hate people who don't control their kids and the end result is damage to my property.

Anyway, sounds like you've got a workable plan. In the past when I have used SX by hand, I had the best luck with a foam applicator, generous amount of pressure to work it in and making a couple passes horizontally and then vertically over the area. Work it in until there is no trace of the product, then wipe the area with an MF towel to clean up any remaining residue.

As noted, you may find that you have to make multiple applications to get the job done. Sometimes, it will look good then a day or two later, the scratch will resurface. Since you can feel it with your nail, chances are that you won't get it totally out, but you can likely diminish it to a liveable point.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas. Im gonna run out and grab a clay bar later.

If the ScratchX(2.0) doesnt quite do the job should I step up to a more abrasive rubbing compound next? Or should I just go for something like the Dupli-color 2in1 Scratch repair kit?

Comment

Here ya' go: How to use ScratchX by hand to remove swirls, scratches and water spot etchings
              Shane
              1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');