• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paintless Dent Repair. Yes, it really works.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paintless Dent Repair. Yes, it really works.

I had a Paintless Dent Repair done on my 2 month old 2010 QX56. Backed into my neighbors mailbox and snapped his mailbox right off the pole onto the ground. It left a quarter size, indentation that did not break the paint, only nicked the clear.

All I can say is wow.

Unbelievable.

I was a skeptic before about PDR, but now I am a believer. It really looks like nothing ever even happened. Much happier now.

If any of you are in Jacksonville, check into Mike at smoothadent.com. I am super particular, and he was able to get everything looking perfect for me. Highly recommended and I am very pleased with his work which is why I am recommending him.

Re: Paintless Dent Repair. Yes, it really works.

Am I correct in assuming that this guy used better quality tools than the "As seen on TV" PDR systems you buy at your local Pep Boys or whatever?

Comment

Can someone explain a couple of the methods, I have a couple of small door dings I want to get taken care of.

I was at World of Wheels this weekend in Winnipeg, and this one company had a display and their method was to basically take a long stick with a 90degree bend on the end and they reach down between the door and the glass and push it out from the backside. Seemed kind of primitive, but seemed to work as well. Any thoughts?

Comment

Yes, it really works. I had over $800 with of work done removing hail damage to my wife's Tacoma and not even I can find a dent. I have had PDR done on my vehicles for the last ten years. A good PDR tech will know whether or not he can remove a dent. I had a ding taken out of the door on my Ram. It took the tech more time to set up than it did to remove the dent.

Tom

Comment

I have seen a video demonstration of it that I found by the people who train people to do it. They use a special light with vertical lines and shine it on the dent, where the reflection is bent when there is a dent. They gently manipulate the metal from the back and the front with gentle instruments and gradually make the reflection of the lines vertical again.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcki View Post
            I have seen a video demonstration of it that I found by the people who train people to do it. They use a special light with vertical lines and shine it on the dent, where the reflection is bent when there is a dent. They gently manipulate the metal from the back and the front with gentle instruments and gradually make the reflection of the lines vertical again.
            Sounds cool! Could you post a youtube or another video link?

Comment

Here's one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e1B0qJDEbs

If you google on paintless dent repair training, you could probably find more.

Comment

PDR History/Trivia

When this now widely known PDR method first arrived at dealerships, the car was taken to a secluded area or bay for the "ding man" to do his magic. No one was allowed to see how it was done. The method was so proprietary that some companies trainees had to have their oath of silence videotaped in case of possible breach of contract suits.

There is a decent short version on the process on Wikipedia:

As volume buyers of this service, we quickly learned to include the following instructions, "Just take out the ones I see."

The rates in the late 1980's were about double to triple what they are today because very few people were doing it. A friend of mine invested a few hundred thousand dollars to buy into the original Dent Wizard, of course, some thought he was nuts; up until the entire company was sold to Manheim Auto Auctions for in the millions.

In the late 1990's we had a guy that was the best I had every seen, one of the few that that could do aluminum right. We had a Defender 110 (btw, one of 500 produced) that was peppered and it came out fantastic. He told me he was trained by an old geezer and that the process originated in the the 1940's. I've never had this verified, but I wonder if body shops would have tried to kill this process off?

Comment

My guy had 100's of tools in his truck. Each one is basically a long stainless steel rod which is curved into a handle with plastic rubber sheathing on it to hold. The 'tips' of the rods usually end in a bent 'L' shape, which, for this particular tool, had a rounded flat head tip about a 3/8" wide. Here is what the tools look like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkyDwc22RSc. Even though I had pulled off the interior tailgate trim, what these guys do is they stick the rod in a sheet metal brace hole for leverage and then poke at the dent from the inside out. My guy said that you should never rub, only poke. He did have what looked like a homemade line board, but he said he really only used it for reflecting more light onto the dent because he "would rather work the dent than a line off a line board". He claimed to have 15 years experience and it showed.

Comment

A few years ago. Our new caddy was in a hail storm. Took it to a pdr. The car came back perfect. I too was skeptical at first. But they really do a great job. Well worth the time and effort.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                      A few years ago. Our new caddy was in a hail storm. Took it to a pdr. The car came back perfect. I too was skeptical at first. But they really do a great job. Well worth the time and effort.
                      Not only does it look perfect when done right, there is no paintwork or grinding/sanding marks from the previous common method of bondo/sand/paint which is a top ten value killer at trade-in.

Comment

I am taking my xB to Dent Wizard tomorrow to get a door ding repaired on my rear passenger door. Appointment is at 4PM.

Very slight dent, but shows up on my black car... Drives me nuts!

So I hope it all goes well... So worried about magically getting new scratches or other damage. (I am pessimistic with my car in other hands!).

I will report back tomorrow how it all goes! Wish me luck.

Comment

Does anyone know any PDR folks in Dallas. I have a couple of dings I would like gone and would prefer a rec from here instead of google.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by jenn1270 View Post
                            Does anyone know any PDR folks in Dallas. I have a couple of dings I would like gone and would prefer a rec from here instead of google.

Jenn
                            What about NYC

Comment

PDR skills would be pretty valuable in a body shop.
                              no straightening, sanding, body filler, glaze, no painting, and blend the panel. It would save a good amount of time and material.
                              Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
                              baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');