• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had some trouble with Ultimate Compound today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had some trouble with Ultimate Compound today

I detailed a Lexus ES300 today, the older body style with pearl white paint. It was in pretty good shape already, I washed it and clayed it, and then went on to use UC with a LC white polishing pad and my G110v2. After applying it, it seemed reallllly hard to remove. I was almost having to scrub it off with a MF towel. It didn't matter how long the UC was on the paint for, but I know not to let it dry (like a wax). And it wasn't ALL of the UC on the paint, most of it would wipe off pretty easy.. but there would be splotches of UC that I had to 'scrub' off.

Also, it didn't seem to remove any swirls. After I was done I pulled out into the sunlight and I could see them. Is Lexus paint just really hard or something? Maybe I need to add a wool pad and some 105 to my arsenal?
    www.reflectionsautodetailing.biz

Re: Had some trouble with Ultimate Compound today

It is possible that the paint is very hard. It takes about 4-5 applications of Swirlx by hand to see any kind og minor improvement on my CooperS paint and about 3 applications of UC to see the same improvement. I know what you mean though when you say that there are some trouble areas when it comes to removing UC. The problem is, I can't scrub it because if I do then all my hardwork will be ruined. I usually spray some QD on it and let it dwell for about 30s to loosen it up.

I have not used a machine but I would imagine that 105 and a wool pad would be a good investment for those really tough paints and/or trouble areas.
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

A couple things could be happening, and I'm sure others will chime in with more insight.

First, you might have some contamination on the paint, like silicone, which impedes correcting thoroughly and could cause gumming up.

The second thing is you could just not be getting to the swirls with that combination. The white pad is really more of a finishing pad except for the softest of paints. If you have access to a paint thickness gauge, I would take some measurements and go with something more aggressive, like UC on a yellow or orange cutting pad. Or step it up to M105.

Remember that the more aggressive the compounding (not just the compound), the harder it is to remove the residue. Use IPA or #34 to help get off the stubborn stuff. Also try going over the compounded area with M205 or SwirlX and see if the stubborn, sticky areas continue to act the same way. If so, then you probably have silicone contamination and will need to address tat problem first. If the M205 wipes off nicely, then the sticky stuff is just gunked up clear coat and compound residue "dough".

Hope this help!

Comment

Originally posted by LelandGray View Post

I was almost having to scrub it off with a MF towel.

This is a recipe for swirls/scratches...yes, even with a MF towel.

When this happens, spray some distilled water onto the area that you are having difficulty removing dried-on product, and it will come right off. I like to use a mixture of distilled water & instant detailer. Whats happening is product is drying, hardening & subsequently adhering to the finish. A little bit of liquid will loosen said product, & help with removal dramatically.

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

With regards to the 'silicone contamination', what would it be from and what could I use to remove it? I had already clayed the car with mild clay and Last Touch @ 1:1.

I thought the LC white pad was for using things like UC and SwirlX? And then the black and blue pads were for waxing, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LelandGray View Post
            I thought the LC white pad was for using things like UC and SwirlX? And then the black and blue pads were for waxing, etc.
            See this thread: Lake Country pads
            Shane
            1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
              See this thread: Lake Country pads
              Thanks!

Comment

OMG! Now I am in trouble, I just got UC on ebay, and since it ll take two or three weeks to get over here, it may get under bad weather and storage conditions.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');