• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for a steam cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommendations for a VAPOR steam cleaner?

I love the VX5000. Best $700 I have spent in detail tools. Works great in the car. Works well to remove the other guys wax on the outside of the car. It's REALLY good inside the house too(think Hard wood floors, Tile grout, Kitchen grease, etc.)

AeroCleanse gave some great advice a year ago on what to buy and not buy. I'm very grateful for his shared wisdom! =)

One item that I still ended up buying a few weeks ago was a Mytee HP60(Hot Water Extractor) with the AV1 Vacuum attachment. The HP60 is great, but the AV1, in my opinion, isn't better than buying a good 5HP wet/dry vacuum. More testing to be done, I guess.

Comment

Re: Recommendations for a steam cleaner?

The VX5000 is the one Renny Doyle uses and recommends to his students, and he has a whole 2-hour video on how to use it for detailing, which I already have. Although I think he does modify the hose attachment in the ones that he sells.

Detailing Success is here to help you develop better habits in auto detailing, running your shop efficiently, and network with industry pros. Join us today!

It looks pretty good. It looks like there is a setting that will inject water along with the steam, so you could use it in concert with a shop vac to perform as a carpet extractor (maybe not quite as slick as a dedicated carpet extractor but you could put off buying it).

I was able to find a VX5000 on craigslist but I had to send for it non-locally.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcki View Post
        The VX5000 is the one Renny Doyle uses and recommends to his students, and he has a whole 2-hour video on how to use it for detailing, which I already have. Although I think he does modify the hose attachment in the ones that he sells.

Detailing Success is here to help you develop better habits in auto detailing, running your shop efficiently, and network with industry pros. Join us today!

It looks pretty good. It looks like there is a setting that will inject water along with the steam, so you could use it in concert with a shop vac to perform as a carpet extractor (maybe not quite as slick as a dedicated carpet extractor but you could put off buying it).

I was able to find a VX5000 on craigslist but I had to send for it non-locally.
        Thanks for the post! I might have to order that video, and save my pennies for a VX5000.
        www.reflectionsautodetailing.biz

Comment

+1 on the VX 5000 unit

Selecting a Vapour Steam Cleaner

Configuration

Vapour steam cleaners come in several sizes and shapes. Most common are the hand held units and the floor canister types. I would recommend purchasing a floor canister type unit as these are more convenient and easier to use than heavy handheld portable steamers. Canister units keep the boiler safely on the floor, which allows you to use the lightweight accessories and provide the highest temperature and pressure for satisfactory cleaning performance. Handheld units are heavy in the hand and bulky to use. Vapour steam cleaners are under pressure and although they have safety devices, it is best to avoid having a high temperature, pressurized device in your hand or close to the body should something go wrong.

Pressure and Temperature

The temperature at which water boils varies according to pressure. Most steamers have pressure chambers, causing the steam to discharge from the unit at an elevated temp (275 – 300.oF) so don't direct it at anything that is heat / water (vapour) sensitive for any length of time.

The cleaning power of vapour steam cleaners comes from the high temperature vapour steam and pressure. The high vapour steam temperatures break down dirt, grime and grease and the pressure penetrates into the dirt to dislodge it. Look for units with high temperature and pressure.

Some cleaning tasks do not require high pressure, so a pressure control is desirable. Low temperature units, such as most handheld units, will allow the steam to condense below the boiling point of water (212ºF) at the output tip resulting in dripping hot water during use that is messy and can burn you.

Capacity

The amount of water a vapour steam cleaner holds contributes to how long the vapour steam will be produced and available before refilling is required. Look for large capacity water tanks. Handheld units only store small quantities of water. Continuous dual tank vapour steam cleaners allow you to refill the unit at any time for non-stop cleaning.

Construction
          There are two main construction details in selecting a vapour steam cleaner. The housing material and the boiler material, select a unit with a housing made of stainless steel or heat resistant thermoplastic. Stainless steel will not crack during a hard impact, but is a more expensive option than thermoplastic. Units with painted steel housings should be avoided as these can eventually rust due to exposure to water and moisture from use.

Quality vapour steam cleaners use stainless steel boilers. Stainless steel will last longer and not react with water impurities like aluminium, as it can oxidize over time and react with impurities to cause pitting and make it difficult to clean the boiler.

An extract from “Selecting a Vapour Steam Cleaner”, one of a series of 120 unbiased technical papers “The Science of Detailing”, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn

TOGWT ™ Ltd (Established 1980) © Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
          ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

TOGWT: Your knowledge floors me(REP given).

DRY vapor is key to doing car interiors! If using one of the "value" vapor steamers and your getting too much water at the output, keep the wand's tip futher away from the item your cleaning to not over wet the item(dashboard mainly).

Comment

Originally posted by TerryAdams View Post
              DRY vapor is key to doing car interiors! If using one of the "value" vapor steamers and your getting too much water at the output, keep the wand's tip futher away from the item your cleaning to not over wet the item(dashboard mainly).
              I picked up a cheap Scrunci steamer at a garage sale, and it does exactly what you're saying here.. too much water comes out!! I could use it on an engine bay or something exterior, but I wouldn't ever use it inside!

Comment

Amazon has the Wagner 905 steamer for $80 shipped, should I bite?

Comment

Originally posted by LelandGray View Post
                  Amazon has the Wagner 905 steamer for $80 shipped, should I bite?
                  im wondering the exact same thing....seems like a great little machine for cheap. i think i might just take the plunge...any input?

Comment

If it doesn't work out for doing car interiors, it will surely help inside the house. Wet vapor will help out on tires/wheels and cleaning around emblems too(wax buildup).

What's the return policy, if you don't like it?

Comment

Anybody seen or used this?

discountcleaningproducts.com/product_p/gaia.htm

I am looking to get a steamer and spend 500 to 700 range this Gaia is like 769.00
                      Last edited by Markus Kleis; May 3, 2010, 11:47 AM. Reason: No hyperlinks before 30 posts

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');