• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is recommended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is recommended

We have had one of the worst winters ever and my car is showing the effects. I have multiple chips in the hood which I am going to solve by going to a CF hood. However, the car has a ton of swirls and fine scratches. Hard to believe I won a trophy at the last show for my paint! My first show is April 17th and I am taking a week of vacation to do some things around the house and plan to spend 2 days before the show getting my paint back to where it needs to be.

My question is would it be better do the following:

1.Washing
    2.Clay Bar
    3. Wash with clear water
    4. Ultimate Compound or Swirl X (which is best)
    5. NXT wax x 2 coats.

I have never had to use Compound or Swirl X but will definitely need to do something. I need to place an order to restock the detailing products and I am not sure what would work best to get rid of the swirls and very fine scratches. I use nothing but Megs microfibers, use the 2 bucket method of washing, and never go through a hand wash - I am the only one who washes it. I can post up some picutres if that would help.
    Thanks,
    Cat :x

Re: What is recommended

I have never used UC or SX so my answer is based on my understanding. SX is milder than UC. It wouldn't hurt to have both on hand as it is always recommended to do a small test spot on the car to see if the more mild product will get the job done.

If you get the results you want with the mild product then it is best (at that time and for that job anyway). If not, then move to a more aggressive product and see what that does for you. If it works, it is then the best product for that job at that time.

Your process looks good to me.

Comment

First off what is your method of application? Hand or machine?

I agree with William, having both would be ideal. If you are using a DA, I would guess that SwirlX would more than likely get the job done. However, being that both are pretty easily found and not to pricey having both on hand to see what works best would be good.

Comment

Hi Cat! I live in Jersey and the winter was absolutely terrible and took it's toll on my finish as well. Your idea is going to be my exact process this weekend for bringing my finish back. The sad part is...the car is a 2010 and is only 5 months old. My idea was as follows:

Wash
        Clay
        Swirl X
        Deep Crystal Polish (it’s a dark color maxima)
        Nxt Wax X 2

I am going to post before and after pictures this weekend if I can. I am also going to be using a Dual action polisher to accomplish the swirl x and polish stages. The wax I will do by hand. I will certainly let you know my results and see if these steps were successful.

Comment

I would do a small test spot with each. Whichever delivers the results you are looking for. That's the product to use.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Yes, I will be doing it by hand! URGH!!!!!!!!! I am old too so it takes it toll doing this by hand - one reason I took a week vacation of the show because I know it will take me 2 days to get all this done. I just hope I can get it looking good again!

Cat :x

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');