• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound & Clay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound & Clay

Can anyone give me a answer to a dumb ?. Which do I do first compound or clay.My truck is 1996 Ranger and I clayed it about a year ago and the paint still shines but it does some fine imperfactions.Have some pictures posted under my gallery, however no luck getting them here yet.

Thanks
    1996 Ford Ranger 2wd reg cab 2.3 with a 5spd.

1997 Gmc Jimmy 4wd 4dr 4.3 with a auto.

Re: Ultimate Compound & Clay

The truck is in the Avatar.
    1996 Ford Ranger 2wd reg cab 2.3 with a 5spd.

1997 Gmc Jimmy 4wd 4dr 4.3 with a auto.

Comment

Copy & past the link with a [IMG] before, & a [/IMG] after.

Comment

Originally posted by mmguy View Post
        The truck is in the Avatar.
        Hi:

I work in the following order:

1. wash
        2. clay
        3. polish
        4. wax.

I prefer to remove the bonded contaminant before I polish the paint. Once I polish the paint I do not really want to be rubbing on the paint again. Also, when I see a defect in the paint during the polishing step I pretty much known it is in the paint since the claying step has left a clean surface to work on.

Regards,

KTruck
        Make it Shine

Comment

Maybe ask this in Detailing 101 [More responses?]

Also see

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle - Updated!

and

Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen
          Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
          by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by mmguy View Post
            Can anyone give me a answer to a dumb ?. Which do I do first compound or clay.My truck is 1996 Ranger and I clayed it about a year ago and the paint still shines but it does some fine imperfactions...
            Thanks
            You need to understand what the different products do. Compound and Clay do not contribute to shine (not directly).
            - First Clay removes surface contamination stuck on/in the paint which washing wont remove. That leaves the paint smooth, and setup for in-depth and effective paintCleaning (with a paintCleaner or Compound). Clay wont remove any paint imperfections (and will introduce some if you are not gently and/or dont use lots of lubricant)
            - Then Compound is a paintCleaner that is also aggressive enough to remove swirls and/or oxidation and/or other imperfections. It *may* also include glaze (depending on which product).
            - The above preparation is what lets the glaze+wax produce the ultimate shine.

Clay+Compound basically get the paint as smooth and defect free as possible, then optional polish/glaze/oil enhance wet-look depth (depending on color and if paint is older and slightly micro-pitted), then wax adds even more shine and all the durability+protection. You *could* glaze+wax and get a nice shine, even on a car with lots of paint imperfections (such as all those cars on dealer lots), but that seems a shame.
            2010 XRS

Comment

hi, everyone im new here, i dont want to make new thread so i'll post it here, my car have many small spot of paint couse by someone who painted their house using a air compressor spray with a paint enamel, how can i take it out i have tried clay bar & ultimate compound using a DA but still there. hope someone can help me thank you very much

Comment

What kind of clay did you use?

Comment

meguiars claybar sir, i dont know how can i bring back the smooth finish of clearcoat, the car silver color you cant see the small spot when theres no light, i need to work at night so i can see it, my two car contaminated with this enamel from the sprayer. do i need to use unigrit?

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');