• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these possible?

I have multiple scratches and some chips to the paint on my car, and I wanted to get some opinions on how possible it will be to fill these. I have no prior experience wet sanding or touching up paint at all, but I know how to be careful. The long scratches bug the hell out of me, and I'm grad-student-broke, so going to a body shop is completely out of the question.

These first ones are all on SS paint, no clear coat. Front half of the car is clear coated (hood, quarter panels, bumper); from the doors back is SS.

All of these are deep enough to get my nail into. You can see the bare plastic or metal on all but one.

Should I go to a junk yard and get a practice panel first? Should I even attempt these?

Zoomed out. Ignore the white paint, I will get rid of that.

detail 1

detail 2

detail 3

Other side of rear bumper

front right quarter panel and bumper. Yes, that is rust. The front

front left quarter panel

right side skirt

trunk

Thanks,
    Colin

Re: Are these possible?

Do not bother wetsanding the scratches. They are through the color coeat and into the primer and to the metal base.

I would get some primer amd some touch up paint. If the fender is really bad on the whole thing then maybe you could newspaper the whole car (except the bumper your working on), wetsand with 400 grit, prime the whole bumper (let it sit for a day), give it a second coat if needed with the same cure time, spray the whole fender with the proper color spray paint (this can be picked up at a PBE store, I know they sell them at the one near me) and give it a second coat after another day cure time.

Then, find some clear coat spray paint and give the bumper 2 coats of that, always making sure to give the preceding coat one day to dry and cure. The finish will not be perfect and you will have all kinds of orange peel but if you are not familiar with a roatey then don't attempt to remove it. At least the scratches wll be gone and you will have a decent looking bumper.

If I am totally offbase, which is possible, then please feel free to yell, holler, scream, and do whatever else you'd like to this post. This was the technique the owner of my PBE stpre gave me when I asked him how to do this so I am just repeating it.
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Originally posted by coopers23 View Post
      Do not bother wetsanding the scratches. They are through the color coeat and into the primer and to the metal base.

I would get some primer amd some touch up paint. If the fender is really bad on the whole thing then maybe you could newspaper the whole car (except the bumper your working on), wetsand with 400 grit, prime the whole bumper (let it sit for a day), give it a second coat if needed with the same cure time, spray the whole fender with the proper color spray paint (this can be picked up at a PBE store, I know they sell them at the one near me) and give it a second coat after another day cure time.

Then, find some clear coat spray paint and give the bumper 2 coats of that, always making sure to give the preceding coat one day to dry and cure. The finish will not be perfect and you will have all kinds of orange peel but if you are not familiar with a roatey then don't attempt to remove it. At least the scratches wll be gone and you will have a decent looking bumper.

If I am totally offbase, which is possible, then please feel free to yell, holler, scream, and do whatever else you'd like to this post. This was the technique the owner of my PBE stpre gave me when I asked him how to do this so I am just repeating it.
      As cooper sayd dont bother in wetsanding theyr too deep into the paint to be removed.

They light scratches and paint transfer can be removed but the deep scratches you can see the plastic from the bumper. Do as cooper sayd or get it repainted.
      Ryan's Auto Detailing, S.A
      Mobile Auto Detailing Company.
      Dominican Republic.

Passion for Detailing, do it with love.

Comment

what I meant was touching them up and wetsanding that back down level. I know I can't sand where there isn't any paint and magically make it better.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');