• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible?

My hood was painted flat black before I bought the car, on the edges the paint has come off a tad bit to reveal the original paint underneath.

Do you think it would be possible to start with a high grit and wet sand my way down back to the original color, then buff it out so to speak?

I am thinking the only thing I have to lose is getting it repainted so I thought I could try this first before I went ahead and dropped the cash to get it back to its original color.

Any thoughts or help are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Mike

Re: Is it possible?

Sounds like a HUGE amount of sanding to me! And you have no way of knowing the condition of the original paint underneath. It could be the other owner painted over it because it was in need of a repaint. Might be a fun experiment, but plan on a repaint.

Comment

You could use a chemical stripper to strip the flat black....
      www.idetailautopros.com
      iDetail Professional Automotive Detailing

Comment

I was thinking that, but the rest of the car paint is in great condition minus the chips or scratches that occurred from god knows what.

I figured the only thing I lose is free time to which I would consider this time well spent. As for chemical strippers I have heard that automotive laquer (sp) remover might work as well!

I am game for about anything and will definately post up some pictures

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');