• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows have "wipe spots" on them..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows have "wipe spots" on them..

So I cleaned my windows (inside and out) with Invisible Glass the other day and I noticed yesterday that at night, under certain lighting conditions, I can see the outline of my swiping motions on the windshield. Looks very clear and clean during the day, but at night it bothers me.

I sprayed my SS MF towel with Invisible Glass, wiped on windshield, then flipped it over to a dry side and wiped it off. Sounds simple enough, but I can't believe I couldn't even do that correctly!! LOL!

Any advice on how to fix it?
    2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
    Black Obsidian

Re: Windows have "wipe spots" on them..

Give it another try. This time on the outside glass wipe it in a up and down motion. Wipe the interior in a sideways motion. This way depending on which way the streaks are present. You will find out were you are not removing all the dirt.

For example, if it is on the inside. It could be protectorant from the dash. Or with all the pollen around. maybe you did not change your cloth to a clean side enough. The pollen is causing the streaks.

This is not a definitive answer. However it is a start.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Maybe try switching out to NXT Generation Glass Cleaner or Glass Cleaner Concentrate at 10:1.

Or try wiping down all the windows inside and out with a damp microfiber to remove any possible residue from the IG.
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Thanks for your responses, I think I'll first try wiping down all the windows with a damp MF towel, if that doesn't work I'll try you're idea J.A.

Can I buy NXT Glass Cleaner OTC? And I don't have Glass Cleaner Concentrate at home, I don't detail professionally so I have no need for that much cleaner! lol
        2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
        Black Obsidian

Comment

Hey clutch

Like Tuck mentioned I'd go with the D120 glass cleaner 32oz sample size plus the buff & shine micro-fiber glass towel. I use mine just for the interior with fantastic results.

I also use the D120 for chrome, aluminum rims and trim to remove water spots or just a fast clean up on rims. The 32 oz sample size will make just over 2 1/2 gallons but you can mix some up for your friends and family if you like and see how well the like it.

Also try you a sample of last touch, you wont regreat it!

And the technique J.A.Michaels stated is the only way to clean your glass.
          ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
          You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
          Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Buff and shine micro fiber glass towel -- where can I get that from? I'll look into the D120 and I already have a 128 oz jug of Last Touch on its way to my house as we speak!

And JA Michaels glass cleaning technique -- why is that the "only way to clean your glass"? Is it cuz it'll be easier to tell where you miss spots/have streaks -- inside or outside?
            2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
            Black Obsidian

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post

This time on the outside glass wipe it in a up and down motion. Wipe the interior in a sideways motion. This way depending on which way the streaks are present. You will find out were you are not removing all the dirt.

That is a good idea

If a window has a sort of residue on it, it may appear clean/clear during a time of low humidity, or a warm day. During a time of higher humidity, such as a cold day, when a window is fogged up, residues will appear.

Comment

Originally posted by Clutch34 View Post

why is that the "only way to clean your glass"? Is it cuz it'll be easier to tell where you miss spots/have streaks -- inside or outside?

That is so you can tell if the streaks are on the inside or the outside.

Comment

It really works. Instead of running around like a chicken with your head cut off. Is that streak inside or outside. You know immediately were the streak is.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

I have found that glass cleaners themselves are the problem in vehicles. My solution is to wet a microfiber with warm water, wash the window, and buff dry with a dry, clean, microfiber. VIOLA...no streaks!
                    Windex and window cleaners alike, are fine on house windows when a squeegee is being used. Plus the amonia in some cleaners is not good on vinyl dashes.
                    NOTE: This water only and MF may not be a solution if your interior auto windows are heavily soiled with dirt and smoke residue.

Comment

Originally posted by Clutch34 View Post
                      Buff and shine micro fiber glass towel -- where can I get that from? I'll look into the D120
                      Here you go.

Same for the D120 glass cleaner.
                      ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                      You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                      Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'll try to clean the windows again with a damp mf towel and see how it goes. It just rained today so I'll see what I'm workin with after it dries up a bit.
                        2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
                        Black Obsidian

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');