• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unigrit Foam Finishing Disc questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unigrit Foam Finishing Disc questions

Originally posted by termigator69 View Post
    I was not aware that Summit sold paints too. I'll have to look into that. You're talking Summit Racing, right?
    Yep, Summit Racing.

And I would agree that lacquer is best for a garage queen -- the look of lacquer can't really be beat, but when it comes to durability it's not the greatest option (though I'm fairly certain keeping it waxed won't be an issue considering we're talking on MOL)

Comment

Originally posted by DetailFreak517 View Post
      Yep, Summit Racing.

And I would agree that lacquer is best for a garage queen -- the look of lacquer can't really be beat, but when it comes to durability it's not the greatest option (though I'm fairly certain keeping it waxed won't be an issue considering we're talking on MOL)
      I always wax my cars at least once a month. From what I've heard so far, lacquer is not durable at all, but I would like to know if these naysayers of lacquer are waxing their vehicle at all.

Thanks for tipping me off about Summit. I checked out their website and found their auto paints more to my liking. Their paints require a 4:1 mixture. I can actually buy a gallon along with activator and use all of it.
      Too much of a good thing is even better!

Comment

Originally posted by termigator69 View Post

From what I've heard so far, lacquer is not durable at all, but I would like to know if these naysayers of lacquer are waxing their vehicle at all.
        I've worked on a lot of old lacquer in my life, seen lacquer paint jobs that held up over time and lacquer paint jobs that couldn't be saved.

Maintaining a lacquer paint job is less about waxing it and more about polishing it with a non-abrasive pure polish like #3, #5, or #7

Polish often and it will hold up for a long time. Keeping it out of inclement weather and harsh sun just goes without saying.

This is the original single stage paint on a 1954 Corvette, this car was found in a barn and the paint restored by hand using Meguiar's polishes. This picture was taking in 2004 at a car show in Eugene, Oregon where it took first place for it's category. I used to have a picture of it as it was found in the barn with about an inch of dust and dirt over the entire car.

I'm pretty sure that in 1954 cars were still being sprayed with acrylic lacquer but if not lacquer then it would have been an enamel and for the most part, the paints seem to react to polishing about the same.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

That looks great, Mike.

Generally speaking, how would you compare lacquer and urethane? I think it's going to come down to either using the Duplicolor lacquer paints or getting the acrylic urethane from Summit. Keep in mind that, while I do "plan" on waxing every month or every other month, the car will be sitting outside the the Florida sun most of the time.
          Too much of a good thing is even better!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');