• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Tailgate - my first use of the G110V2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Tailgate - my first use of the G110V2

2009 GMC Sierra Tailgate - before

-lovely reminder of the dealer sticker
    -this was the condition of most of the tailgate (less the splatter marks)

After

Swirl marks - note: the tailgate was actually much worse than the before portion of this photo. I hadn't decided to make a tape line yet. It's tough playing photographer and detailer.

Well there you have it... my first use of the Meguiar's DA polisher.

I have to say thanks to the forum and the members that help answer my questions along the way. I'm sure I will still have a lot of questions. I put a lot of time into doing this tailgate and the rest of the truck is just as bad.

I'm starting to get a hang of it, but it truly is an art. I'd go broke if I were to do this for a living. I spent about 5 hours doing just the tailgate, playing around with different compounds and techniques.

There are still a few scratches here and there, but I think I'll get moving onto the rest of the truck instead of trying to get perfection on the tailgate alone.

Re: Black Tailgate - my first use of the G110V2

Great work Bill - and excellent work documenting your progress. Sure made one heck of a difference!

Comment

Very well done! What did you use for products?

Comment

Very nice work.

Is this your truck?
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Huge difference. The tailgate looks great. Stick with it. Your doing fine.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by RedSoxRacer View Post
            Very well done! What did you use for products?
            Ultimate Compound for the bad stuff
            Swirl X (tried it but didn't use much)
            205 with a polishing pad for most of it
            205 with a finishing pad (to correct my mistakes)
            Crystal Polish with a finishing pad
            NXT Tech Wax 2.0 with a finishing pad

The damage done to the paint was from an automatic car wash. I'll post a lot more photos as I complete the detail, but it's unbelievable the amount of damage that was done. Our automatic car washes are not controversial, they are brutal at best.

That being said the damage isn't uniform throughout. The bottom lower corners of the tailgate we bad so I needed Ultimate Compound. I think I could have done most of the job with 205 alone with experience.

p.s. thanks for the compliments

Comment

Nice work! When I first got my PC, I took it off the truck and into the house. That way I could lay it flat and have nice bright lights to work on it. It's usually the dirtiest part of the truck and I like to keep it like a mirror....so the people behind me can see themselves!
              Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                Very nice work.

Is this your truck?
                Yes it's my truck (original owner 2009). I feel like an idiot for taking it through an auto wash, but after the first oil change/service the dealer had already scratched it up pretty bad when they washed it, so I thought I had nothing to lose. I was wrong :-)

I showed the dealer what they had done, but they didn't seem to care. They did more damage too (to the interior). When GMC called me to review the dealer's service, I gave them a 1 out of 10 and said I'd give them a zero if it was an option.

GMC told me they would have someone contact me (months ago). Nobody called. Jerks.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lightning View Post
                  I like to keep it like a mirror....so the people behind me can see themselves!
                  Funny I was thinking the same thing. I did take it off and laid it flat in the box. I could access half of it and the turn it again :-). I was also thinking that if I messed it up, it would be the cheapest piece to fix.

Comment

Tail gate looks good...jsut a quick question..what is 205?

Comment

Originally posted by aris View Post
                      Tail gate looks good...jsut a quick question..what is 205?

http://www.eshine.ca/meguiars_205_ultra_finishing_polish_32oz-1411.php?cat=12

Being you are Canadian here's a link to likely the easiest and cheapest place to get it.

Basically it's one of the least aggressive polishing compounds. Sort of a must have.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Bill, great work man. Lovin the black. I am a little partial to black Silverado's and Sierra's. lol
                          Tracy
                          765-413-7547
                          Autobritedetailing@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');