• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave_st170
    Thanks.

I finished with scratch X and apply a coat of NXT to the Focus and waited 1hr for it to dry (Car is in a warm garage)
    It took an hour to dry to a haze?

The instructions state to apply a thin, even coat and allow it to dry to a haze. In most climates this wax will dry to a haze in 10 - 15 minutes, in colder, more humid climates maybe 5-10 more minutes, but it shouldn't take an hour to try to haze.

I buffed off with a MF Cloth and in some places i found smearing.
    Could be because the wax was left on too long. Re-apply a second coat of the NXT Tech Wax. Apply a thin coat and let it dry for 10 to 15 minutes and then remove.

Only think i can think of is i did not get all the Scratch X off the panel.
    The NXT would have loosened, liquefied any remaining ScratchX and it would have wiped off with the NXT residue.

Apply a second coat as I outlined above. Apply this second coat thoroughly, working the product into the finish and leaving a thin, uniform coating. Allow to dry for 10-15 minutes and then remove with soft, clean microfiber polishing cloths.

Now i have gone to a different panel and apply first DC2 and buffed off and now on the motor is NXT.

Will this stop it???

Thanks
    Dave
    Here's the order,

Washing
    Before detailing your car, first do an extremely good job of washing it. Remove all the dirt from all the nooks and crannies. This prevents any small abrasive dirt particle from entering into the machine polishing process and potentially instilling a swirl. Get the Car Sparkling Clean to start with and everything will be downhill after that.

Claying
    After that clay the car, at least the horizontal surfaces. Again, do a good job of claying to insure you remove all above surface contaminants. The level of gloss you can achieve from your car's finish is mostly determined by how smooth you can make your paint. Claying will make your car's finish as smooth as glass.

Cleaning
    Cleaning is different than washing. Cleaning is removing both above surface defects like oxidation and below surface defects like swirls, scratches, etchings, and dirt that has embedded itself under the surface. Choose the appropriate paint cleaner for the condition of your car's finish and your application process. If you're unsure of which paint cleaner or cleaner/polish is right for your car, describe your car and if possible post a picture and we'll be glad to make some recommendations.

Polishing
    Polishing after removing the defects is typically using a pure polish that is non-abrasive to restore brilliant high gloss and deep, dark reflections. This is an optional step and one best used on medium to dark colored car.

Protecting
    This is where you apply your choice of wax or paint protectant. Adding a layer or two of wax creates a sacrificial-barrier on your car's paint to protect it and also add shine and gloss. Generally, two thin coats will insure even coverage with a uniform appearance.

Maintaining
    Maintaining is the use of products like a quick detailer or a spray wax to maintain that "Just detailed look" in-between regular washings, and the regular application of a normal coat of wax.

Neither the paint cleaner, (ScratchX), or the polish, (Deep Crystal Polish), need to dry before removing. Basically, apply them, work them in and then remove them.

Then apply two thin coats of the NXT Tech Wax. Allow each coat to dry to a haze, this will take about 10-15 minutes in most climates. Then remove using clean, soft premium quality microfiber polishing cloths and a gentle touch.

Hope this helps...

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Once finished with scratch x does it leave a smear look on the panel??

Dave
      It can, depends on how well it was applied, the condition of the finish and how well it was removed. I wouldn't worry about it as Meguiar's chemist insure compatibility between products, remove most of it and then move on to either your polish or two thin coats of NXT.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks.

I'll apply a 2nd coat of NXT 2morrow and let dry for 10-15 mins and hopefully it will be better.

Do i need to apply the DC2???
        Does it make any difference??

Thanks
        Dave
        Focus ST170
        Imperial Blue
        Climate Pack & Spoiler (3dr)
        Xenons and more...

www.allfords.net *Forum for all Fords

Comment

Thanks.

I'll apply a 2nd coat of NXT 2morrow and let dry for 10-15 mins and hopefully it will be better.

Do i need to apply the DC2???
          Does it make any difference??

Thanks
          Dave
          Applying a pure polish like the Deep Crystal Polish is an optional step. Polishing with a Meguiar's pure polish is good for the paint and makes it look great, but you don't have to if you don't' want to, you can go from ScratchX to Wax if you like or time necessitates.

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            Applying a pure polish like the Deep Crystal Polish is an optional step. Polishing with a Meguiar's pure polish is good for the paint and makes it look great, but you don't have to if you don't' want to, you can go from ScratchX to Wax if you like or time necessitates.

Mike

Does it make a visual different??

Dave
            Focus ST170
            Imperial Blue
            Xenons and more...

Comment

Does it make a visual different??

Dave
              Yes. For medium to dark colored cars applying a Meguiar's pure polish will increase clarity and add richness of color as well as increase gloss.

This is the confusing part, Meguiar's pure polishes are doing the same thing to white and light colored paints, your eyes just cannot see the difference. That's why we often position polishing with a pure polish as an optional step for light colors, it's not that it isn't good for the paint, (it is), or that it doesn't make a difference, (it does), it's just the human eye will not see the difference.

If you want to take your car's finish to its maximum potential, then by all means,
              • *Clean
                * Then Polish
                * Then Protect

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I see.

2morrow i'll apply DC2 to the rest of the panel and buff off then apply NXT to the panel and wait between 10-15 mins then buff off.

All by hand.

Sound ok??

Dave
                Focus ST170
                Imperial Blue
                Xenons and more...

Comment

Sounds like a great plan!

Enjoy!

Mike
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                    Sounds like a great plan!

Enjoy!

Mike

Thanks for all your help Mike.

I bet i'll be back soon with more questions

Dave
                    Focus ST170
                    Imperial Blue
                    Xenons and more...

Comment

This product is 1st class.

I love it so much i've done the drivers side & boot and half of the pass side of the Focus already.

It took a couple of hours to do one door but its ggrreeeaatt stuff.

I now hurt my back abit cos i've been rubbing so hard (The car that is lol lol)

Well done Meg!!!

Dave
                      Focus ST170
                      Imperial Blue
                      Xenons and more...

Comment

IMHO you don't really need the DC2 if you are using NXT. My GTO is similar in color to your car. I compared results with just NXT to NXT over #81 (similar to DC2) and there was no visual difference. Using the DC won't hurt though, and in some lighting situations you may see a small difference.

I found out from experience that letting the Scratch X dry before removal can definitely cause smearing. I bought one of the original tubes of Scratch X and the directions on it said to let it dry before buffing it off. I learned from Mike that you are supposed to work it into the paint and remove before it dries. Big difference! Sometimes I got lucky and it didn't smear when I let it dry but sometimes it did. I don't know if they changed the directions on newer tubes of Scratch X or not. But if you remove the Scratch X before it dries it definietly will not smear.

RamAirV1
                        2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                        2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Hi RamAirV1, did you read my post Scratch X, a little hint.... ?

I wonder what you guys think of it.

Greetz
                          NXToholic

Comment

[B]This product is 1st class.
                            Which one?
                            http://www.myVdub.co.uk

http://paulsimmons.fotopic.net

http://www.fresh-love.co.uk

'88 Golf GTI - Rolling Project
                            "don't be a victim of your own stupidity"

Comment

Scratch X.
                              In some places it did dry before i dryed it so it did smear but apply some more over the top and it goes!!

Also i applyed scratch X with cottton wool and it did work well.

Dave
                              Focus ST170
                              Imperial Blue
                              Xenons and more...

Comment

that's next on the shopping list then!
                                http://www.myVdub.co.uk

http://paulsimmons.fotopic.net

http://www.fresh-love.co.uk

'88 Golf GTI - Rolling Project