• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doors ajar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doors ajar

I couldn't come across this topic in searching, I apologize if it has been addressed.

When doing interior work with the doors ajar: does anyone worry about the battery dying due to interior lights burning? Obviously this would only come about if the interior was a pigsty, but the last thing I would want to do after a detail is jump the customer's car. Does anyone disconnect the battery? In doing so, I would also worry about the driver losing some info: what about radio codes, presets, etc.?

Thanks
    Mark

Re: Doors ajar

To me you can do three things:

1: Disconnect the battery
    2: Just pop out the glass and take out the bulb/-s.
    3: Use some ducktape or whetever and push in the contact in the door so the car "thinks" its door is closed.

I dont know if pulling out a fuse can do the job or if it disconnects more than just the light and potential loosing some drivers info.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. If it did happen then likely the battery or alternator needs to be looked at and you did the customer a favor by letting them know ahead of time.

I wouldn't even consider disconnecting the battery on a newer vehicle. I'd look at pulling a fuse for the door circuit or tricking the door sensor into thinking it was closed. Another option would be to put a trickle charger on the battery.

Best bet... leave well enough alone. Don't create issues for yourself. If the battery dies, the battery dies.

Comment

Makes me feel better. Thanks!
        Mark

Comment

One other thing... most new cars are getting so smart that if you leave interior lights on etc. they turn off on their own, after a period of time. I know mine does (even if it was turn on manually with the switch). I'd have to do a test with the door being left open. I hadn't considered it until now.

Comment

Here ya' go: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37301
            Shane
            1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Thanks Shane.
              Mark

Comment

If a car is going dead due to the doors being open then that battery was on it's way out, as it could not hold a charge.

Comment

I killed my very first battery while detailing a couple of weeks ago...though the car sat for extended periods. It makes more of a difference if the car is driven regularly or an "once-in-a-while" car.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');