• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

<<Rotary Fest 2010! 80+ pics!!!>>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <<Rotary Fest 2010! 80+ pics!!!>>

While attending a detailing clinic put on by Meguiars a few weeks ago I met Don (gto don). Don and I were both really interested in learning to rotary buff. While the class was not specifically geared towards rotary use, Stephanie did take the time to work with us specifically. Thank you.

After leaving, I decided this was something I really wanted to do so I called up Rick at ADS and purchased a Makita rotary kit. I contacted Don to see if he was interested in practicing with the rotary.

As I left ADS today $300 lighter, I went straight over to Glendale Auto Parts where I met Don. We walked the junk yard looking for a victim....I mean candidate. We eventually settled on a metallic red hood from a late nineties Dodge Intrepid.

Here is our challenger!

Here it is after a Last Touch wipedown.

And some sun shots.

We decided to run and get lunch so before we left, I put some 1k and 2k sanding paper in the bucket to soak.

Back from lunch, we prepared to get started. I think Don put some 105 on his Orange Chicken too.

We taped up the panel and got ready to start.

We clayed with Last Touch and Mild clay.

Here is Don prepping the surface.

Don wanted to try just 105/205 combo with an aggressive wool pad and a polishing pad.

I decided that I was going to wetsand the adjacent panel with 1k then 2k then follow with the 105-wool, 205-polishing pad combo.

Here is one pass of 105-wool.

And after the 205-polishing pad.

There was a ton of orange peel so we were excited to see what sanding could do.

After the 1000

Here I am working the 2000

Don wanted to try sanding too.

After the 2000

So then I hit it with the 105-wool. My new Makita is SWEET.

Checking for heat.

Big difference already.

Buffer HOG !

I think I see a difference...

Now on to the 205-polishing pad.

Now we are talking !

Thats nice!

I wanted to try the PRC on a panel that had not been sanded yet. Here is the result. Need some more aggression for this paint im afraid. Great product though.

We then sanded another panel. Here is the uniformity! The Mikes would be so proud.

This is the panel in the picture above. Note this is after only ONE pass with 105 and the aggressive wool pad.

And closer.

For the lower half of the same sanded panel we decided to try the foam cutting pad.

One pass.

second pass.

We then followed up with 205 on the polishing pad.

Don still wont let me touch the buffer. He is having too much fun.

Not too shabby.

Next, we put down some M7 by hand.

We then sealed that area with M21-finishing pad on the rotary, then M26 by hand, then wiped with M135 synthetic spray detailer. Here are the results.

Here are some random shots from after we pulled the tape.

I want to thank Don for all the effort he put into this project. I know we both learned a lot and are eager to learn more.

Thanks to everyone who looked at this.

Please let us know what you think. We appreciate all constructive criticism.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Re: <<Rotary Fest 2010! 80+ pics!!!>>

Okay, more like 58 pictures. But it felt like thousands !

Comment

very cool. Great idea. That is the right way of learning. On a practice panel.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Great way to learn. I wish i could do the same.

But i only weight 138 pounds, how can i go out of a store $300 lighter hahahaha, i would have died.

Great job man.

I think after the 2k grit paper, you could have used 3k paper.

Also i saw your motion in the picture doing straight lines usually you turn the sandind pad like an angle of 20* degrees and then you do straight lines from there.

Great try btw.

Keep it up
        Ryan's Auto Detailing, S.A
        Mobile Auto Detailing Company.
        Dominican Republic.

Passion for Detailing, do it with love.

Comment

Great photo-documentation and a great instructional resource for anyone wanting to learn rotary buffing. I'm bookmarking your thread for future reference! Thanks guys!

Comment

Thanks for the series of pictures.

How much pressure do you think you were using compared to say a G110? What speeds were you using? Is the yellow pad just a 8707(don't know exact number) pad?

Thanks again man.
            Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Wow, thank you so much for the testing and sharing all those pictures of your results! It is great having a hood to practice on, and also to test things out.

I have been thinking I might be able to make a deal with one of the local used auto parts suppliers to get junk parts that are too damaged to resell, so I can get practice with different softness of clear coat, and also with single stage. It doesn't bother me if there are dents. In fact, I might use them to help learn paintless dent repair one of these days, become a full-service car cosmetics expert

Comment

Bob
                Wanna thank you again for the day, your hospitality and generosity. I had a blast working that hood and learned alot (far cry from pro) about the rotary, wet sanding and product/pad mixing. I would recommend this to anyone. Let's do it again soon. I bet the guys at the junk yard would take that hood back in a second and sell it for DOUBLE the $$ he would had sold it for previously. Let's get that blue one I picked out and work it.

You Rock Dude............and it was a pleasure meeting your wife!

Don
                Don
                "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Originally posted by MrCLRider View Post

How much pressure do you think you were using compared to say a G110? What speeds were you using? Is the yellow pad just a 8707(don't know exact number) pad?
                  Rider,
                  Speaking for myself when I was operating the rotary, I let the weight of the machine be the "applied pressure" with a little more added for some of the stubborn areas (which were few) and I believe Bob did the same. The speeds were set based on product used (M105 and M205) but was generally at setting 3 to 3.5 which is about 1500 to 1800 rpm. I believe the polishing pad was the W8006 but Bob can correct me if I am wrong. (they were his pads/product we used).

Hope it helped some.
                  Don
                  Don
                  "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_Bihun89 View Post
                    Great way to learn. I wish i could do the same.

But i only weight 138 pounds, how can i go out of a store $300 lighter hahahaha, i would have died.

Great job man.

I think after the 2k grit paper, you could have used 3k paper.

Also i saw your motion in the picture doing straight lines usually you turn the sandind pad like an angle of 20* degrees and then you do straight lines from there.

Great try btw.

Keep it up
                    Thanks. I will try rotating the sanding pad next time. Thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                    Great photo-documentation and a great instructional resource for anyone wanting to learn rotary buffing. I'm bookmarking your thread for future reference! Thanks guys!
                    Awesome! Im glad you found this helpful. It was really good experience to use so many different combos. It really helps to SEE what they can do together.

Originally posted by MrCLRider View Post

Thanks again man.
                    Like Don stated. We pretty much used the weight of the machine most of the time. Especially with the wool-105 combo, there really was no need for any more pressure. With the polishing pad-205 I did vary the pressure. The pad used was the W8207.

Comment

Originally posted by gto_don View Post
                      Bob
                      Wanna thank you again for the day, your hospitality and generosity. I had a blast working that hood and learned alot (far cry from pro) about the rotary, wet sanding and product/pad mixing. I would recommend this to anyone. Let's do it again soon. I bet the guys at the junk yard would take that hood back in a second and sell it for DOUBLE the $$ he would had sold it for previously. Let's get that blue one I picked out and work it.

You Rock Dude............and it was a pleasure meeting your wife!

Don
                      No worries man. Lets plan something soon. Im gonna SELL that hood back to them ! haha

Comment

That was awesome, and as stated, that was great documentation. I think it takes discipline sometimes to continue to snap shots when you're enjoying polishing paint. It's really neat to see you guys work together. How much more practice do you feel you'd need before you'd work on a paying customer's car with a rotary?

Cool stuff! Bookmarked.

Mark
                        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by wwcleancars View Post
                          That was awesome, and as stated, that was great documentation. I think it takes discipline sometimes to continue to snap shots when you're enjoying polishing paint. It's really neat to see you guys work together. How much more practice do you feel you'd need before you'd work on a paying customer's car with a rotary?

Cool stuff! Bookmarked.

Mark

Thats a good question. I would really like to work on a few more panels from a few different manufacturers. Since most companies use different paints, I think it would be good to see how the products effect different paints. Make sense? After my test panels, I would probably try the rotary on my own or maybe family members cars. i just realize how much it would cost to re spray someones hood or something so I want to be sure I am comfortable.

Comment

Looks like you guys got the hang of it nice work! You should sell that hood back to the junkyard, you might net a few bucks

Comment

The hood I have is about 2 or 3 times more scratched up as that one! And the one panel that I wet sanded with 2000, it is the only one I could get really impressive optical clarity on, not even counting the deeper scratches that you can feel with your fingernail. The paint has mild orange peel to start with, but there are also some micro swirl marks that are just deep. They almost have the appearance of metallic paint the way they disperse the reflection, but they are sparse.

The thing about wet sanding is, especially if you are working on factory clear-coated paint, if you do it on your car or someone else's, you really have to have a paint thickness gauge., because it is possible to go so deep as to compromise the integrity and UV protection ability of the clear coat. The one I want to buy costs about $450, and you can pay a lot more for them.

It is also nice to be able to use pneumatic 6" orbitals to do the wet sanding since water and electricity don't mix too well, but you need a totally mondo air compressor to run one of those things. I think Michael Stoops mentioned that with the DA, you don't use as much water as you do by hand.

It would be great to be able to rent the paint gauge from a rental place. They certainly rent things that cost less.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');