• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oxidation Removal Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxidation Removal Kit

Hi, I thought you might like to see the results i got on my boat using the Oxidation Removal Kit by Meg`s.
    I have had the boat about 1 year and as you can see the gel coat was in a bad state.

Some Before Pics

I Got hold of the kit in England by contacting Meguiar`s who told me they had 1 or 2 in stock even though it`s not part of thier product range here.

I applied the products with a rotory polisher and foam pads which worked pretty well even though they was not the Meg`s ones.
    As you can see they results looked pretty good even for a first attempt.

After Pics

You can see here the difference in the before and after

I`ve still got to antifoul the boat and do a bit more polishing but as you can see the Meg`s stuff really worked well and other guys in the boat yard were really impressed and a few said they wanted to get hold of the kit so they could do there own boats.
    If anyone wants any more info just let me know.

Cheers
    Last edited by traindriver; Dec 29, 2004, 03:27 PM.

Hi traindriver,

Nice work and nice write-up with pictures!

Meguiar's Marine line works awesome!

That's a fairly large looking boat, what are the dimensions and what are you going to use it for?

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey,

Nice job!!

I know that was a LOT of work to complete!!

Cheers!
      Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

boat size

Thanks for the praise.
        The boat is 20`X 7`6" so its not that big it just looks big when its in a craddle and your looking up at it.
        It made by Hardy Marine here in England and is they call it The Fishing 20. They also do a cruising version which has a larger cabin. It has a Honda 75hp 4 stroke and a Honda 6hp Aux engine.

And it has a removable cover on the back

Its used for pleasure sea fishing out of Brighton Marina on the south coast of England.
        Last edited by traindriver; Jan 2, 2005, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Hey,

You say, made by Hardy. I wonder if it is a company related to Hardy Brothers--the world famous fly fishing equipment maker??

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hardy

I know of the Hardy you are thinking about and Hardy Marine are a different company which, as far as i`m aware have no relation to the tackle company.Hardy Marine are still going and produce some good strong sea going boats. I know of one 20` boat which has the same hull as mine but is the cruising version which has just gone around the entire U.K and accross to Ireland by a couple and have featured in a magazine here.
            They don`t seem to make my model of boat any more but if anyone is interested in them they have a website..Hardy Marine.
            thanks for the response, your right 2hotford, it was pretty hard work but even some parts which i did buy hand came out good.

There were parts where the craddle pads were that i couldn`t get to with the rotory and had to do by hand.Have a look here....

This is where the pad was moved up and you can see the un-polished area below it

This was the same area after polishing by hand..

As you can see the Meguiars #49 worked well applied buy hand with a bit of elbow grease.
            Last edited by traindriver; Dec 29, 2004, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Great work! How long did it take you to do it? What wax did you use for your LSP?

Boats are harder to detail than cars because there is so much surface area to work with! But you showed the amazing results you can get on gelcoat with the right products. A rotary is pretty much mandatory for that job!

RamAirV1
              2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

That looks great, looks like lots of hard work! Can't wait to try some of the marine products myself.
                Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

LSP

RamAirV1,
                  I used the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Oxidation Removal Kit.
                  it is a 3 stage kit which contains

1. 16 oz bottle #49 oxidation remover
                  2. 16 oz bottle #45 polish
                  3. 16 oz bottle #56 pure wax

I applied the #56 Boat/Rv wax with a soft foam pad on the rotory and buffed it off by hand. It went on and came off easy.Not sure how hard wearing the wax is and i wondered if it would be worth topping it with som Nxt wax as i have some i use on our car.

Maybe Mike could come up with some answers.

Comment

The Meguiar's marine waxes have been very durable for me. I have used #50 with great results. They also make a marine polymer sealant.

I don't know if the marine waxes are compatible with the automotive waxes. They very well could be. Mike can probably best answer that one.

That #49 is an amazing product!

I wish I didn't have to work to pay for all these toys LOL, so I could have more time to detail my boat.

RamAirV1
                    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Amazing results.

Eric
                      Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Traindriver...looks good and I also had pretty much the same results using the 3 step (boxed) process.
                        HOWEVER...in short time close to and just below the water line will fade right out again.
                        HammerDown

Comment

I used this kit this weekend...sorry no pics.
                          I will take pics of the interior part next week. I only did the bottom for now and will wax the rest once it hits the water.
                          I used #49 and #45 with my PC 7424 and the Sonus orange and green pad. I think overall it did a pretty good job. Next year i will try #44 to try and get the grey part on the bottom of the boat to really come alive. I finished up with Collinte Fleetwax which i think is the best wax i ever used.

Comment

that has to be a lot of work! Now we know why most boats are light colored! You can't see as readily when the light gel coats oxidized, and they don't heat up quite as much.

The anti-fouling paint on the bottom is also a great idea. The marine growth on the bottom of my hull was so bad I had to resort to that. It will cost me about $900 this year to have it done again.

RamAirV1
                            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1

The anti-fouling paint on the bottom is also a great idea. The marine growth on the bottom of my hull was so bad I had to resort to that. It will cost me about $900 this year to have it done again.

RamAirV1
                              sorry for the ot but you can learn alot on this board...
                              RamAir
                              Is that something you do your self or have done? I know of people that have it on their boat just never really seen it or anything.
                              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');