• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newb detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newb detail

Spring is upon us and it's time to detail the truck again. Been waiting for the tree outside to stop producing pollen before I do it though I don't want to put all the effort into it only to have it being undone within a few hours. As an example 2 hours after returning from the coin wash there was a layer of yellow dust on the truck. Here is the list of products in my current arsenal

Wash - will be GC later today
    Clay - mothers clay kit (yes I know will be replaced when done) it has a yellow clay bar so I don't know where that ranks on the meguiars clay's and UQD as clay lube
    Scratch x 2.0
    Waxes - meguiar's pro line cleaner wax (don't remember the name), NXT 2.0

My paint is a metallic red. I do it all by hand though I do have poor quality orbital purchased at a garage sale before I knew any better. I've read that using spray wax after washes will help prolong the life so will be picking up some later today. Any advice, tips, techniques?
    09 Ford Explorer Limited AWD

Re: newb detail

UQD is not a clay lube. You want the regular QD.

UQW is a great spray wax.

Not much to it other than 2 buckets, good quality towels, applicators, etc.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Good to know I'll be picking up stuff later on today.

Comment

On a side note, how much paint correction are you doing? For general use, you may want SwirlX. For lots of defect removal by hand, you may want UC.

ScratchX 2.0 is kind of in the middle.

Comment

Only using the scratch x2.0 on select spots where noticable lines are in the clear coat. Previous owner obviously wasn't very careful, some are to deep to even attempt it.

One of the spots

Comment

OK, so ScratchX the bad spots, then cleaner/wax everything, then Nxt would be good. Letting the waxes dry each time of course.

Comment

Great that's the plan, there are a few other spots similar to the above I have used scratchX on last year. It made a difference, this year I'll be using foam applicator pads instead of a microfiber towel. I don't think I was letting the wax dry long enough last year but I know how to test it properly now.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');