• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Truck - dealership detailing gimicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Truck - dealership detailing gimicks

Fun dealership stuff:

They tried selling me their "super duper detail package" - I declined.

It was like $500 for a detail package with their no-touch rust proof technology. $1000 for inside and outside. $1500 for underbody too

ooooookaaaayyyyy!!!

Then it was offered for me again when I got to the financing part - guy goes "You do know that every time you wax a truck it cuts the clear coat in half, right? Our protectant doesnt even touch the clear coat- only adds to it."

bahahaha, ok...

Luckily I'm smart...
    Troy - TSR6

Re: New Truck - dealership detailing gimicks

Comment

Troy - TSR6

Comment

Comment

Yea, you must of waxed it atleast 2 times now since I can only see 1/4 of the clear. Better be careful...

Comment

Originally posted by TSR6 View Post

rust proof technology $1500 for underbody

Isn't that like already taken care of at the factory or something

Comment

So that's like, what, a couple grand for a detail? Was Paul Dalton doing it? LOL!
              Shane
              1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

"You do know that every time you wax a truck it cuts the clear coat in half, right? Our protectant doesnt even touch the clear coat- only adds to it."
                My response to this would have been, "You do know that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life, right?"

Actually, you should have bet him that $1500 that you could prove him wrong. Then go take a reading with a paint gauge, wax a panel, and take another reading with the gauge.

Comment

That's insane! I would love to know how many of those they are able to sell, but then again I don't think I want to know...

I remember when I bought my first car after learning about proper car care and they tried to sell me the extra protection packages. It was funny, but almost frustrating at the same time. I found myself trying to politely "argue" the points that the saleswoman was attempting to make about car care, before I realized the time I was wasting.

Oh, it is sad...the worst is the influence they have on those that do not know. I can't tell you how many people have told me that wax will hurt their car, they don't know how, but the dealer told them so!
                  Mark

Comment

Nice truck.
                    Hey everyone has it tough these days. Even the stealerships need to make money. lol.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

So true. They really are gimmicks. I bought a new 2010 Nissan Maxima and the dealer tried to sell me a Simoniz like product that claims you won't have to wax your car for 5 years! Haha. I actually laughed to myself.
                      Marc
                      First Impressions Detailing
                      2019 Audi S5 Sportback - Riviera Blue
                      2018 Audi RS5 - Glacier White Metallic

Comment

Yeah - I was just polite and said I do all my own waxing. He started going into it more - and i was like really, I do all my own detail work...

Thats when he went into the whole "clear coat" issue.

I didnt even bother to tell him I have a meguiars DA machine. He'd be all

regardless.... I plan on putting the first coat of Meguiars NXT on this weekend!
                        Troy - TSR6

Comment

oooo that was post #100!
                          Troy - TSR6

Comment

I still remember when new cars didn't have clear coat. Some kind of protection was always put on by the dealer to add a few hundred dollars to the base price of the car, kind of a bait and switch. Like, this car is only $4000, oh but you wanted wheels, that will be an extra...

But that is pretty good, cuts your clear coat in half. Someone should get these guys for fraud.

Comment

oooo that was post #100!

And that was post 101!!

I think of all the stealerships as the enemy. I actually love buying cars from them, though; I point out how dumb they are every chance I get. The way I see it, I don't care what the salesman, finance guy, or sales manager thinks of me. I just want my car.

I realize they have a job to do, but I 100% disagree with the tactics that most stealerships use. Seriously, have some integrity people!!!

Colin
                              A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');