• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

questions about 82 and 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about 82 and 80

Happy New Year everyone!

I had a question, I recently purchased a PC and have bottles of 80, 81, 82 and 83. I know that 83 is a cleaner/polish, but what should I follow it up with? 82 or 80?

I guess I am just confused on the differences between 82 and 80, which one is more aggressive?

Thanks for the help!

Tom

80 is more agressive and if you're using a PC I'd recomend using number 80. 82 is a bit gummy for me by PC and I find it a pain to use sometimes. I would try 80 first, and if that doesn't work, try 83 and then follow up with 80. 80 finishes so nice and wet that following up with 81 may not be necessary, but it's all personal preferance.
    I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Hi Tom,

#80 Speed Glaze offers a little more cleaning power than both the #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 and the #82 Swirl Free Polish but the diminishing abrasives breakdown very quickly and then it turns into a very rich polish. It's very easy to work with and also easy to remove. I would definitely recommend follow the the #83 DACP with the #80 SG. Then go right to your wax application step.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

Are you sort of recommending #80 rather than #82 for most light swirl removal and polishing? I think that #80 is the only Meguiar's product that I don't have.

I've had very good results with #82, but it's time for a new bottle of one or the other. Or both?

Tom

Comment

Hey Tom,

I do not think Mike is suggesting one over the other but rather a different product to achieve the same goal. I too have been using a ton of #80 over the last year as I have found that it deals with light marring a little easier than #82. However, there are times I prefer the #82 for its distinct look. On softer paint, I prefer to use #82.

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Tim, what distinctive look does #82 have?
            Paul Marmarinos
            Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
            "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

Hey,

I have found that while #80 with it's TS Oils will give a deep rich look, the #82 will give a little more of a bright look. But of course that is very subjective. However, the biggest benefit, is using #82 on a little softer paints due to its less aggressive nature, IMHO.

Tim

Comment

Tim,

It looks like I'll be buying both #80 and #82.

However, I'll not be using them for a while. I have seven inches of fresh snow on the ground with more coming down.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tim...that makes sense.
                  Paul Marmarinos
                  Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
                  "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

soft paint.....

what is an example of soft paint? are german car paints soft? i'm not familiar with what the term means. if someone can inform me that would be great.

thanks.
                    2001 Vortex Blue New Beetle

Comment

Hey,

Soft paint is simply paint that marks very easily. In those cases using a slightly too aggressive product can actually place more swirls into the finish. Therefore, one always needs to do a test spot with the least aggressive product and see how the paint reacts.

As for brands etc with soft paint, it seems to be more vehicle specific than brands. I have come across some German paints that were really soft, but others that were as hard as nails. Same goes for other manufacturers.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                        Hey,

Soft paint is simply paint that marks very easily. In those cases using a slightly too aggressive product can actually place more swirls into the finish. Therefore, one always needs to do a test spot with the least aggressive product and see how the paint reacts.

As for brands etc with soft paint, it seems to be more vehicle specific than brands. I have come across some German paints that were really soft, but others that were as hard as nails. Same goes for other manufacturers.

Tim
                        I believe the German manufacturer are now switching to harder ceramic paints for Mercedes for 2005.

Softer paints are much more forgiving to stone chips and imperfection removal and harder paints are better at abrasion and wear, but is horrible in stone chip impacts and much more difficult to remove imperfections.

Comment

Hi Ed,

Yes, some German manufacturers have switched to a new Ceramiclear paint. Moreover, other manufacturers like Ford are now using a new paint method on select vehicles (like the Harley Davidson Edition F Series) where the paint is super smooth. But the jury is still out on how these new paints and/or process will perform in the real world.

Cheers!

Tim

Comment

Just to chime in,

I've buffed on a few of these new Ceramiclear finishes and I found them to be very easy to buff scratches out of.

We even taught the owner how to remove swirls using the G100 on his own car with the Ceramiclear finish.

The Meguiar's 80's series works awesome on these CeramiClear clear coat paints.

Here's a thread that I just posted to that talks about paint hardness.

A question about paint hardness?

Mike
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');