• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiars Ultimate Compound questions ... Made a mess so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiars Ultimate Compound questions ... Made a mess so far

Hello all. This is my first post here, and i need some help please. I purchased some Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and tried applying to a one foot square place on my newly acquired 2000 GMC Yukon's black hood, in the shade and about 70 degrees, to remove oxidation and minor scratches due to a negligent previous owner.

I applied exactly as the bottle said, on a dry surface and by hand with a foam applicator, using a micro fiber cloth to remove it. .... Only it did NOT remove. It left a cloudy mess, like paste wax looks when allowed to fully dry. It took me AN ENTIRE HOUR to remove the product with VERY, VERY hard rubbing necessary ! Wore me flat out, and my right arm now looks as if I am 14 yrs old again ..LOL
    I didn't let it fully dry, but only just start to slightly haze when I tried to remove it.
    After finally getting it removed, it still only barely looks better than it did before I applied it. SOMETHING did not work right at all !

Now I have purchased a 5" rotary pad with sheepskin looking applicator for my cordless drill, which has two speeds approx 700 rpms and 1300 rpms. But before I start again, I would just LOVE to know what may have went wrong with wiping it on by hand, and any suggestions for attacking it again with the cordless drill.
    Thanks.

Re: Meguiars Ultimate Compound questions ... Made a mess so far

Welcome to MOL. Normally, UC would not dry out. It does its work while you are rubbing it into the surface of the car and creating friction. It may be the surface of your hood was too warm, or something caused the UC to start to dry, maybe it was left on too long before you tried to wipe it off. Normally you would rub it in for a few minutes and wipe it off, but it should not have started to haze.

I have never heard of using a cordless drill so I can't offer any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary S View Post
      Welcome to MOL. Normally, UC would not dry out. It does its work while you are rubbing it into the surface of the car and creating friction. It may be the surface of your hood was too warm, or something caused the UC to start to dry, maybe it was left on too long before you tried to wipe it off. Normally you would rub it in for a few minutes and wipe it off, but it should not have started to haze.

I have never heard of using a cordless drill so I can't offer any suggestions.
      Hmm , the hood was cool and in the shade. I actually only worked the UC for maybe 60 seconds before trying to wipe it off. Even with only 60 seconds time it was NOT coming off.

Comment

Originally posted by downsize View Post

Hmm , the hood was cool and in the shade. Even with only 60 seconds time it was NOT coming off.

Comment

Originally posted by downsize View Post
          Hmm , the hood was cool and in the shade. I actually only worked the UC for maybe 60 seconds before trying to wipe it off. Even with only 60 seconds time it was NOT coming off.
          I don't know what it might be. It sounds like you used it correctly, I am not sure why it might have dried out. But it isn't supposed to do that.

Comment

from what I read on the internet and what others have said you suppose to "work it in and not let it dry" your not suppose to let it dry one bit just rub and wipe off asap. work a small area one at at ime.

Comment

How much product did you use?
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by wwcleancars View Post
                How much product did you use?
                I used about a dime sized drop, applied to the pad.

Comment

Have you watched the you tube video on the Meguiar's channel?
                  2007 2500 SILVERADO HD BLACK
                  2008 Tahoe White
                  Beaufort,S.C

Comment

Originally posted by mako20C View Post
                    Have you watched the you tube video on the Meguiar's channel?
                    LOL ... Oh yes I did indeed. The ONLY difference I can see from my application and that on the video, is his came off with simple wiping, and mine stuck like Super Glue.

Comment

You might just try calling Customer Care at the number at the top of this page. They may be able to walk you through what happened and help you out.

Comment

A dime seems like too small an amount for a 1' X 1' area. After finally learning proper technique, I find that a quarter size amount on a foam applicator, worked in thoroughly does the trick.

Be careful with that rotary attachment you are looking to get. Unless you know what you are doing, I would not use a rotary device on your paint.
                        Tedrow's Detailing
                        845-642-1698
                        Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I probably wouldn't use a cordless drill on your paint. You'd be much better off springing for a DA. I'm not sure why the UC isn't coming off.

How many applications did you try? This may seem dumb but maybe you want to try it again but use a bit more and don't work it in so long. Just a thought.

Comment

Did you do any claying?

How 'gunky' does the surface feel?
                            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                              Did you do any claying?

How 'gunky' does the surface feel?
                              I did not clay first. But I did just buy a Meguiars Clay Bar Kit a few hours ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');