• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few detailing questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few detailing questions...

Hey everyone, I have a few questions...

#1 Is Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner safe to use on all wheels or should I use the Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner instead? I don't know what type of wheels I have but they are the orginal 16" wheels for a 2000 Toyota Celica GTS - They look to me to have some kind of coating possibly but I really have no clue about wheels

#2 Is Deep Crystal Polish safe to use on a medium colored car? The bottle says its meant for dark colored cars

#3 What is a good product to use for restoring the tailpipe back to its orginal shine? Also, can anything be used on the brake discs to restore them as well?

#4 Can you remove scratches on the outside portion of a sunroof? Theres a lot of swirl like marks on top of the sunroof

#5 Anyone know of a good, cheap dent remover tool? I have a couple small dents only noticeable at an angle but I would rather not have

Thanks, and heres a picture of the car...

Re: A few detailing questions...

I took a close up picture of my wheel in case that helps determine which wheel cleaner I should use.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh! View Post
      #1 Is Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner safe to use on all wheels or should I use the Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner instead? I don't know what type of wheels I have but they are the orginal 16" wheels for a 2000 Toyota Celica GTS - They look to me to have some kind of coating possibly but I really have no clue about wheels
      I would use Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner, because is safe to use on all factory wheel surfaces.

#2 Is Deep Crystal Polish safe to use on a medium colored car? The bottle says its meant for dark colored cars
      It's safe to use on all finishes. It mentions dark colored vehicles because it's more noticeable on these type of colors. To know you'll have to try, using this product is "optional" in Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle - Updated!

#3 What is a good product to use for restoring the tailpipe back to its orginal shine? Also, can anything be used on the brake discs to restore them as well?
      As for the tailpipe you can use Meguiar's NXT All Metal Polish, I've had great results with it. But don't use it on your brake discs!

#4 Can you remove scratches on the outside portion of a sunroof? Theres a lot of swirl like marks on top of the sunroof
      I think the Toyota Celica has a moonroof, because it's glass. Removing scratches from glass is really hard, Meguiar's doesn't offer any products for this type of task, but searching the forum you can find some threads covering this topic.

Comment

If you are referring to the brake rotors in item #3, to remove the scratches you would be either replacing the rotors with new ones or taking the old ones off the car and taking them to your parts store or a machine shop and getting them turned - if the rotor surface is thick enough for that process.

PS - Where in Missouri? I'm in Blue Springs, and our daughter is in Maryland Heights.

Comment

yalerd - thanks for the answers! I will look at the store for the Meguiar's NXT All Metal Polish but I thought it had been discontinued. I am not sure if the sunroof/moonroof is made of glass, it seems more like a plastic but I could be wrong.

Also, do you know if products that darker the look of your car have permanent effects?

agp56 - Yes, I think brake rotors is the correct name. I was hoping I could use some metal polish on those to make look shiny again but if not I will just have to live with them. I live in the Ballwin area.

Comment

The rotor is the big round disk that the caliper grabs onto. They will often rust after washing the car/wheels, but will come clean once you drive the car, and stop once or twice. But no product should be used directly on them.

As far as the metal polish, it was discontinued, may still be found places, who knows. The Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum will be a good replacement.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Murr1525 - Thanks for the info, I won't be messing with those then.

Alright so I think I have bought everything I need now (just about every one of Meguiar's consumer line of products) except for couple things I couldn't find. I have been to three different stores and they don't carry foam applicators or one of Meguiar's drying towels. I guess i'll have to use the microfiber applicators and an old clean towel instead.

Comment

Yeah... ordering online kind of gets you everything in one place... Never get then in a store.

Comment

Yeah, I haven't bought anything online before but that might have to chance soon.

I spent about 6 hours working on my car today, after I got done claying the entire car I started using some Swirlx but it wasn't working too well - I am not sure if its the microfiber applicator I was using or if I need to use something stronger.

Also, the Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit is simply amazing! I only bought expecting little difference but I was shocked at the results. Both of my headlights looked fairly good to begin with - One looked obviously better than the other so I started with the worst of the two and after I finished it, it was way clearer than the other! I still have to do the other headlight tomorrow since the old drill I was using kept overheating. Great product!!!

Comment

As far as SwirlX, what wasnt working? Could be many things...

Comment

I was using SwirlX with a microfiber applicator and it wasn't removing the swirls (I assume swirls is the correct term or clear coat scratches?)

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');