• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

road grime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• road grime

Hi all, I am trying to clean some road grime inside the wheelwells, which are part plastic, balance painted aluminum. I dont want to harm the paint or plastic to remove the grime, which appears to be a combination of oil, dirt, tar, etc, and is about 1-2 mm thick. I also dont want to use a powerwasher.

Any thoughts or recommendations on how best to clean this?

Thanks much,

I tried the EXTRA All Surface Cleaner on the wheelwells of our tahoe this past weekend I just sprayed it on let it sit for about 3 min and sprayed it off. It worked well, very little dirt remaining you could use a rag or something to wipe it out before you rinse. This would remove all dirt oil road grime.

Comment

I use dilluted Simple Green. It can be found at your local walmart. You can use it full strength if you have a lot of road grime.

Comment

Another vote for simple green, i have never had it stain/streak anything i have used it on and it always does a great job.

Comment

On my car once in a while (yes I am anal) I jack up one side of the car, remove the wheels. I have a wash mit just for this purpose. I wash the back side of the wheels and wax them front and back (the brake dust can barely stick to them once you do this) and then use that same wash mit to clean the wheel wells. Just regular car wash soap weems to work pretty well as long as you scrub a lot. Mine have stayed clean since I got the car barely used so your results with this method may varry. I would suspect a good degreaser with the mit or sponge or whatever would be good. In between this I will get the mit out after I've washed the car and use the left over soapy water and get what I can, but it's good to remove the wheels once in a while to get everything.

Ok yes I'm psycho, but I have the cleanest brake calipers you'll ever see.
          Later,
          Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
          Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Removing the wheels is anal? Oh well - color me guilty. I too do this on my won car about once a year. I spray simple green concentrate, let set for 45 seconds or so, then wipe down with soap & water with a sponge.

I too wax the inside and out of wheels after washing with soap & water.

Just wanted to let you know that you weren't alone !-)

Comment

Originally posted by Memphis 986
              Removing the wheels is anal? Oh well - color me guilty.
              Hey to another Memphis Meguiars user!! I clean the wheelwells during each washing on my Ranger & Mach 1-the best I can anyways. Then, at least every 5000 miles (when I rotate the tires on the truck) I'll do a full cleaning that includes washing & polishing the inside of the wheels, the suspension components, brakes, & the fenders. I've only done this to the Mach 1 once since I got it last August, but there's only 3000 miles on her
              2003 Mach 1
              Azure Blue
              5 speed/IUP
              2007 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
              KY Horsepower

Comment

Phewwww it isn't just me.
                Later,
                Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
                Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

I'm going to show my g/f this site so she knows I'm not the only one thats "crazy" LOL
                  2003 Mach 1
                  Azure Blue
                  5 speed/IUP
                  KY Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by Memphis 986
                    [
                    I too wax the inside and out of wheels after washing with soap & water.
                    Doesn't everybody? I suppose I might go a little farther in washing the insides of the rims with a soft bottle brush and behind the spokes everytime I wash the car.

Comment

Anybody that can detail a car in the Memphis area must be tough!

I detailed a car for my wife's aunt in Cayce, MS around the 4th of July 2 years ago, and I just about over did it.

Thank God it was a small Geo Metro!...The heat & humidity was ridiculous out there!!
                      r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                        Anybody that can detail a car in the Memphis area must be tough!
                        When people from our Phoenix division at work come to Memphis for anything during the summer, they almost die!
                        2003 Mach 1
                        Azure Blue
                        5 speed/IUP
                        KY Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by MattN03
                          When people from our Phoenix division at work come to Memphis for anything during the summer, they almost die!
                          I'll never take another walk at the Overton Park Zoo during the summertime!!

Does this look familiar?
                          Attached Files
                          r. b.

Comment

That looks very familiar! In fact, I live less than a mile from the zoo!
                            2003 Mach 1
                            Azure Blue
                            5 speed/IUP
                            KY Horsepower

Comment

I'm so close that I can smell the elephants

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');