• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G110v2 vs GG6 vs PC 7424XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G110v2 vs GG6 vs PC 7424XP

I need help guys, I'm a new to the Forum world (I think its my first time every starting a Thread in a Forum) and I'm new to the ROB/DA Polisher world I'm just tired of waxing my car with a $25 Ryobi I bought at Homedepot. If I count all the time I spent reading and researching the G110v2 vs GG6 vs PC 7424XP it probably add up to 40 hours. The problem is I STILL CANT DECIDE! FLEX is not in the picture because its too expensive.

I called Megs and asked them why I should get their DA and they said because it has Cruise Control. I don't that's a good enough answer. I understand that I'm in a Megs forum and the response maybe bias but Megs and Autogeek has one of the best forums.

So far this is what I concluded so far:
    G110v2 -Free Bag, Corp offices in Irvine (I live in socal), Soft Touch coating, Brush Change Port, and the "D"-Handle.
    GG6 - Lifetime Warranty!, "D"-Handle, Stronger Motor, and has the lowest price.
    PC 7424 XP - Made by a company that purely makes tools, and has been around the longest.

Pretty much the running is between G110v2 and GG6, I'm leaning towards the GG6. But can someone tell me if I'm not considering something or missing something. I will be using it 6-8 times a year and I am concerned that the G110v2 wont last because the internal components will rust or degrade in time and it has only a 1 year warranty.

PLEASE HELP.
    G110v2
    42.59%
    GG6
    27.78%
    PC 7424XP
    29.63%

Re: G110v2 vs GG6 vs PC 7424XP

I don't think they're that fragile, 6-8 annually is relatively low compared with some workshops that do just that many in any given week, but then if you're that unlucky i believe megs people will help you sort it out. I'd go with 110v2, but i heard GG has also made a great improvement with the new version. Go with your guts, you can't go wrong with either one.

Comment

I've used the XP and now the Griot's. I have NOT used the Meg's polisher. That said, I think the Griot's DA is the best out there. It is much smoother and feels more powerful than the XP, even though the OPM's are supposedly the same on each. I think the smoothness and the additional power comes from the quite-a-bit larger motor on the Griot's. The other two reasons are cost and warranty. Griot's can be had for $130 and has a LIFETIME warranty. It's the best warranty of all the DA's.

I've had my Griot's polisher for about 6 weeks now and anytime I go back to the XP for whatever reason, I'm reminded why I like the Griot's DA so much.

Get the Griot's!
      -Mike

Comment

I have the PC, and although i've not been able to compare to the others...there are several things I don't like about it, depsite the fact that it REALLY gets the job done: call these minor complaints in ergonomics.

1. It's LOUD. I have to wear earplugs when I detail my car.
        2. It's heavy: arm gets tired when running one-handed.
        3. The side-mounted stabilizer bar is removable, but totally useless. (d-bar looks much better!)
        4. Gets HOT!
        5. Plate backer removal is cumbersome and not intuitive.
        6. Old-style velcro pads (on my model) tend to rip foam.

Again - not sure how these stack-up to other models, but these are my most obvious complaints with the PC.

If you can ask a Meguiar's rep how their prod. stacks-up to these issues, I think you'd be ahead of the game.

good luck.

No matter what you choose -- you'll have a mUCH better machine than a cheap Ryobi.

gr

Comment

Also can you use a MF Bonnet over a Soft Buff 2.0 Burgundy Cut pad to remove wax? Thanks guys for the advice and help.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider990 View Post
            I have the PC, and although i've not been able to compare to the others...there are several things I don't like about it, depsite the fact that it REALLY gets the job done: call these minor complaints in ergonomics.

3. The side-mounted stabilizer bar is removable, but totally useless. (d-bar looks much better!)
            4. Gets HOT!

Again - not sure how these stack-up to other models, but these are my most obvious complaints with the PC.

If you can ask a Meguiar's rep how their prod. stacks-up to these issues, I think you'd be ahead of the game.

good luck.

No matter what you choose -- you'll have a mUCH better machine than a cheap Ryobi.

gr
            Thanks man, now I'm definitely not getting the PC.

Comment

Griot's Garage is the way to go. I've had mine since December. I've used it, my dad has used it, and my friend who helped buy it with me has used it. We all love it. I don't have the 25' cord model, but it's not a big deal for me. It's easy to use one handed, the side mounted on/off switch is a great idea, a simple thumb flick to turn it off, a slow build up speed to get ready for the massive amount of power it throws down.
              -Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by ziggo99 View Post
                Griot's Garage is the way to go. I've had mine since December. I've used it, my dad has used it, and my friend who helped buy it with me has used it. We all love it. I don't have the 25' cord model, but it's not a big deal for me. It's easy to use one handed, the side mounted on/off switch is a great idea, a simple thumb flick to turn it off, a slow build up speed to get ready for the massive amount of power it throws down.
                WOW, I thought being in a Megs forum that people would be supporting the G110v2 but it seems people like the GG6 much better. I'm hoping to get some Megs user feed back since the Meg sale person did not provide much information.

Comment

Originally posted by nothelle View Post
                  I don't think they're that fragile, 6-8 annually is relatively low compared with some workshops that do just that many in any given week, but then if you're that unlucky i believe megs people will help you sort it out. I'd go with 110v2, but i heard GG has also made a great improvement with the new version. Go with your guts, you can't go wrong with either one.
                  I spoke to a Megs about their decision to change their warranty from Lifetime (G110) to 1 year (G110v2) and they told me it doesn't make business sense to offer a lifetime warranty and the G110v2 is cheaper (price) because they do not offer lifetime warranty.

Do you have any experience with Megs Customer service in getting this repair or replaced outside the warranty? I read some Threads where the Meg guys tell user to take the DP to a repair shop. I also asked if I can buy a extended warranty but the answer was a NO.

I cant believe I'm considering buying a extended warranty on something of this price when I wont even buy one for a $2000 TV. I guess my rational is that I wont be using as much so it would be a waste of money if it broke after 8 uses which brings it to $20 per use if it brakes after 1 year, while a TV comes out to $5 (365 days) per use if it breaks after 1 year of use.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider990 View Post

4. Gets HOT!

1. My PC is not that loud. I have never had a problem with excessive noise with it.

2. I don't think it's that heavy. When using one arm, sure it's going to eventually feel heavy. That's why it would be a good idea to alternate arms. Try holding a 5 lb dumbell straight out in front of you. Eventually, it's going to start feeling heavy. At the very least, you will get a great forearm workout.

3. I use the side bar sometimes. When I am using only one arm, I simply unscrew, and remove it. I install a small bolt in place of the bar to stop the rattle.

4. My PC has never got excessively hot, and believe me, it's been put to the test time and time again.

5. I have never had a problem with removing/installing the backing plate. To me, it's not cumbersome at all.

6. Any type of velcro pads can be used with the PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer View Post
                      I spoke to a Megs about their decision to change their warranty from Lifetime (G110) to 1 year (G110v2) and they told me it doesn't make business sense to offer a lifetime warranty and the G110v2 is cheaper (price) because they do not offer lifetime warranty.

Do you have any experience with Megs Customer service in getting this repair or replaced outside the warranty? I read some Threads where the Meg guys tell user to take the DP to a repair shop. I also asked if I can buy a extended warranty but the answer was a NO.

I cant believe I'm considering buying a extended warranty on something of this price when I wont even buy one for a $2000 TV. I guess my rational is that I wont be using as much so it would be a waste of money if it broke after 8 uses which brings it to $20 per use if it brakes after 1 year, while a TV comes out to $5 (365 days) per use if it breaks after 1 year of use.
                      The G100 had the lifetime warranty, not the G110. The G100 was a rebadged Porter Cable 7424, the G110 was a re-engineered polisher spec'd out for car polishing. That was the first Megs polisher that came with only a 1 year warranty.

But the G110 had problems well documented in these forums. The G110v2 corrected those problems and offered enhanced power, torque, and longevity that the G110 did not have. The G110v2 has access ports to change out the carbon brushes, and a spare set of those brushes are even included in the package. When a polisher manufacturer includes spare brushes, it shows an expectation that the machine will run for years to come.

Meguiars is very good about replacing polishers should an inherent manufacturing problem arise. The key is not to get impatient and crack the case of your polisher in an attempt to fix it yourself. Nor should you take it to a 3rd party repair shop. Those actions will void the warranty.

As for the one year warranty, it's actually quite common among polisher manufacturers, both rotary and DA. DeWalts and Makitas come with a standard one year warranty. I wish Meguiars would consider offering a 3 year limited warranty, like the kind you get when you buy a car battery or tire:

1st year: 100% replacement
                      2nd year: 50% credit applied to the purchase of a replacement polisher
                      3rd year: 25% credit applied to the purchase of a replacement polisher.

But the G110v2 is still an excellent machine.

Comment

Well the decision has been made, I just found out my WIFE ordered the G110v2 for me. She got tired of me staring at a computer all night and telling her "just five more minutes" before dinner. Her reasoning: Its the most expensive so it must be better.

Comment

Comment

Now that your wife has ordered a G110v2 - you have a great reason to attend a Saturday Detailing 101 class or a Thursday Night Open Garage to learn to use the DA!

Well the decision has been made, I just found out my WIFE ordered the G110v2 for me. She got tired of me staring at a computer all night and telling her "just five more minutes" before dinner. Her reasoning: Its the most expensive so it must be better.
                            Andy W.
                            Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
                            Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

LOL...very understanding wife Congrats on your new machine You might want to start browsing into some high-end lsp as well

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');