• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help: IS350 engine bay cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: IS350 engine bay cleaning

I read some of the threads on cleaning the engine bay and wanted to know if there is any tips or details I might of missed. I know I should wrap the ECU, alternator, battery, and my K&N intake. Is there any other components I should wrap? Will water seep into the engine if I spray it will water i.e spark plug slots? Also should I remove the under guard cover of the engine? What are good products to use for metal and restoring plastics and hoses? What is a good and safe APC that can be used on anything? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

The car was parked outside for 2 years in a farm town so the engine is very dusty. I am going to remove all the plastic covers and do a complete detail.

Thanks
    2008 Lexus IS350 Black/Black

Re: Help: IS350 engine bay cleaning

Your process sounds like it is fine. Just cover all those areas, spray some apc, then I normally use the mist setting on my hose nozzle and mist the apc off. After that I use a leaf blower to blow out all the water from the cracks and crevices and then spray down the engine bay with Hyper Dressing.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
      ... use the mist setting on my hose nozzle and mist the apc off.
      Never thought of using the mist setting. Thanks.
      Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
      by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Every car is different, and every car has certain requirements. I am not well versed in your motor BUT.

I generally never wrap anything. I avoid hitting the PCM and Coil (on a distributor car, NOT coil pack). No water will seep into the cyl, if you have that issue, then you have problems!

Yes, also avoid getting the K&N filter wet, as you would need to re oil it.

You can mist or use the "Shower" setting, works great.

I often let the engine get warm (note: NOT HOT), mist with water, spray with APC, or Purple power, scrub with various brushes, rinse off. Start engine and allow to run. At same time you can hit with compressed air or leaf blower.

Hyper dressing seems to be the standard choice for making it shine all around.

Until I can get some I use some tire shine gel on black plastic and hoses and makes them look shiney and new.

I def would get the plastic cover off, do that seperately.

Comment

I use a garden sprayer filled with water to rinse things off. You have lots of control as to how much water is used and where the water is sprayed. You will use much less water than if you use the hose.
          -Bob
          NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I took it to a body shop and got an estimate because I wanted them to a few other things too.

Clean engine bay thoroughly.
            Remove nickle size dent from passenger side front fender.
            Touch up some paint chips from freeway driving.
            Detail inside and outside of the car including headlights polish.

He was going to charge me $250 and need the car for a whole day, overnight would be better he said. Does that sound like a fair deal? I know it would depend how much detail he puts into it, but in general how does that sound?
            He says he would use a power washer and told me it was safe. He also said that the only thing he would wrap is the K&N intake. The alternator and ECU would not need to be wrap but he can do it if I requested. Said that the pressure washer is lite and won't get into those parts where it would affect it. Does this sound right, any pro detailer do this as well?
            2008 Lexus IS350 Black/Black

Comment

spray down the engine bay with Hyper Dressing.
              Hyper dressing for engine bay dressing is my favorite.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');