• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

uc problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uc problems.

so i went to use uc today via g110 w/yellow polishing pad. did a small area, overlapping a few times and when i went to wipe it off it would not come off. not with a qd, not with a clay bar, not with pinnacle paint work cleansing lotion, nothing. this was on my c/f hood but i have never had problems like this before. why won't it come off? i eventually got it to come off after 4 applications of pinnacle paint work cleansing lotion and meguiars nxt(since the nxt has cleaning agents)and it buffed it out after like 4 coats of that.

what did i do wrong for uc toact this way? even scratchx and swirlx all acted the same way. i have used all these products before on my hood except for the uc which started this whole dilema.

Re: uc problems.

Was your hood hot? It could have dried it onto the hood if it was hot. QD should be able to take it off, and you could always try putting some more UC on your pad, going over the area, and wiping it off while wet.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

It sounds like you worked it until dry - which is way too long.

What was your approximate working time? Also, about how many inches/feet by inches/feet was your "small area?"

How much product did you use?

Also, for future reference, remember "Like dissolves like," so if you have a product dry on your car, use more of the same product to remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
        It sounds like you worked it until dry - which is way too long.

What was your approximate working time? Also, about how many inches/feet by inches/feet was your "small area?"

How much product did you use?

Also, for future reference, remember "Like dissolves like," so if you have a product dry on your car, use more of the same product to remove it.
        working time was just a couple minutes. 4 passes.
        area covered was a little over 2ft x 2ft which was probasly too big.

and i did kind of work on a hot surface.

see, i'm used to xmt360, i use this on my car being it only needed minor correction. the 360 can be worked in sun or shade and is meant to be worked until the product nearly dissapears.

after using the 360 so long, i guess habits formed thus my mistake with the uc.

i will again try it but as of now, it kind of scares me.

i literally could not get it off, not with an ipa wipedown, clay bar, qd'er. i did finally get it off but it sure was a big mess.

all my fault. bad habits sure can ruin things.

Comment

Don't be scared of Ultimate Compound. I'm a detailing dolt, and UC is one of my favorite polishes. Don't use it on a hot surface, and don't work it until it's dry. UC's abrasives do not break down, so you do not have to work it as long as you normally might with diminishing abrasive polishes. Experiment around with it and you'll figure out the buffing parameters of the product. I prefer UC to M105, e.g., simply because UC has a longer working time than M105.

And as Mark says, if the problem happens again, UC itself should be able to remove any dried residue.

Good luck!
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
            Don't be scared of Ultimate Compound. I'm a detailing dolt, and UC is one of my favorite polishes. Don't use it on a hot surface, and don't work it until it's dry. UC's abrasives do not break down, so you do not have to work it as long as you normally might with diminishing abrasive polishes. Experiment around with it and you'll figure out the buffing parameters of the product. I prefer UC to M105, e.g., simply because UC has a longer working time than M105.

And as Mark says, if the problem happens again, UC itself should be able to remove any dried residue.

Good luck!
            thanks akimel. still a little nervous to pull it back out off the shelf. after a long grueling 3 hours yesterday trying to fix my mistake. guess i'll just have to let the courage build back up before i get the guts to try it again. but i will, that i promise. especially after all the great reviews i've seen.

Comment

I use UC almost everday and have never had a problem with removal. Make sure the surface is clean (ie claybar) and like others said the panel is not hot. And remember small sections. A little product can go along ways.
              Professional Automotive Reconditioning Services
              "You scuff it-I buff it!"

Comment

Originally posted by corolla619 View Post
                and i did kind of work on a hot surface.

This is probably the main reason it was hard to get off, just wait for your car to cool down and you should be good to go!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');