• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medium cut cleaner disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medium cut cleaner disaster

I have made a serious mistake by using this product by hand on my car. I was fooled by the word "cleaner" overlooking it's abrasiveness.

It was too late when I noticed it should be used with the machine only.

As I result I inflicted millions of swirls/lines/light scratches on the clear coat on my car.

After that, I clayed the car, then applied deep polish, sealant and 2 coats of tech 26 wax, using Meguiars yellow foam pad and good quality microfiber cloth.

Final result is not that bad but looking carefully I can still see swirls/lines/light scratches there.

My question is fairly simple: Instead of masking swirls with polish, sealant and wax, what should I do to get rid of them? Which product do you recommend? I was thinking of Swirl X or scratch X to start with.

I'd prefer to do this by hand, but also have makita random orbital polisher sander, which is not going to help there, I guess.

Thanks all!

Re: Medium cut cleaner disaster

SwirlX is your best starting point. Make sure to use a small working area, something around 12x12 or 16x16 inches.

Also make sure to work on a cool surface and don't over work the product until dry.

Do test spots and inspect your work in several lighting sources before proceeding to do the entire vehicle.

If the SwirlX won't cut it, check with us before going to the ScratchX 2.0.

Comment

Once again the importance of tests spots.
      Give the Swirl-x a go. Follow Marks instructions.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Would you go by hand with swirl X or something else guys?!?

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
          I know it is too late now but J.A. Michaels is right, always do a test spot!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
          Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

If you check in the working by hands forum I actually made a thread about this exact problem.
            Tedrow's Detailing
            845-642-1698
            Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Originally posted by FRS View Post

It was too late when I noticed it should be used with the machine only.
              Yep, on the back label it should say for use with a rotary buffer only. Those directions were added when clear coats became the norm because it's just to abrasive to use with any other type of electric polisher on clear coats.

This product came out in the 1920's, 1930's or 1940, always hard to know... it's the kissing cousin of M02 and M04 which were also very early products.

Originally posted by FRS View Post
              I'd prefer to do this by hand, but also have makita random orbital polisher sander, which is not going to help there, I guess.
              SwirlX or Ultimate Compound by hand. The trick is to only work a small section at at time, no larger than a foot squared and then when you move on to a new section overlap a little into the previous section.

The goal is UMR

UMR = Uniform Material Removal

That is you want to remove enough paint equally over the entire affected area to flatten or level out the surface.

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
              Yep, always do a test spot...

TEST SPOT

How to do a Test Spot

Before going over the entire car, see if you can make just one small section look good, that is apply the product you're planning on using over the entire car to just one small section about a foot squared or so. Work it in and then wipe it off, then apply the polish, work it in but not as much as the compound because now you're not trying to remove paint, just spread the product out, then immediately wipe it off, then apply the wax and let it fully dry and then wipe it off.

Now inspect our results. Make sure you can make one small section look GREAT before going over then entire car. If you can't make one small section look GREAT you won't be able to make the entire car look GREAT.

Make sense?

It should look like this,

And if you're having any problems, the post back here after the test section and we'll help you tweak your technique to insure you get it right.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

Will start with SwirlX by hand .. see how I go.

Comment

Took me about 1 hours to work on my trunk .. 3 coats in total and I'd say 80% of swirls disappeared.

now, do you suggest the same process for the entire car or something else I can do?!?!

BTW, It was time consuming bur rewarding at the end ... you know that.

Comment

I would consider trying some UC.

But be sure to hold the applicator across your palm/face of your fingers, dont use your finger tips.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

UC insructions read:

Safely restore color and clarity to abused and neglected finishes with Meguiar's® Ultimate Compound. Our revolutionary formula cuts as fast as harsh abrasive compounds but without scratching… even on clear coat finishes. This dramatically reduces the time and effort required to remove defects and makes traditional rubbing and polishing compounds obsolete! This is the fast, easy way to remove oxidation, scratches and swirl marks. The secret is Meguiar's exclusive micro-abrasive technology developed from our state-of-the-art professional body shop and detailer products. Whether working by hand or with our DA polisher, this is truly the ultimate compound!

I am concerned if UC would cause more light scratches as my paint is in excellent condition, and only needs to be treated for scratches inflicted by using Medium Cut Cleaner, which is fairly abrasive substance.

Opinions please!!

Comment

Bump!

Comment

You could try Swirlx. UC may leave some marring behind but if Swirlx is not strong enough, you may need to bump up to UC. When I had this problem, Swirlx took care of the issue.
                          Tedrow's Detailing
                          845-642-1698
                          Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Originally posted by coopers23 View Post
                            You could try Swirlx. UC may leave some marring behind but if Swirlx is not strong enough, you may need to bump up to UC. When I had this problem, Swirlx took care of the issue.

If you read my previous posts I have used Swirl X and achieved a good result, with 3 applications by hand, using yellow megs applicator.

I'm trying to find an easier way .. as doing the whole car by hand is very much time consuming.

Maybe a DA or UC?!?!

Thanks

Comment

I'd try UC - it's always finished out LSP ready for me.
                              Shane
                              1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');