• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying wax by hand, does it make a difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying wax by hand, does it make a difference?

I see countless videos of detailers applying expensive waxes with their bare hands. Something about the enzymes activating is the most I've managed to pick up.

Can anyone give some more insight on the difference from using your hands to using a sponge, to using a D/A and your opinion of what provides the best quality finish, if any?

Is there a scientific explanation that justifies why applying wax by bare hands enhances the product's effectiveness?

And lastly, can this bare hand technique be used with Meguiar's waxes? Or does it matter?

Re: Applying wax by hand, does it make a difference?

I wouldnt want the oils from my hands on the paint.

Streaking will more than likely occur.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post

I wouldnt want the oils from my hands on the paint.

Streaking will more than likely occur.

Thats how Paul Dalton applies wax.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Bye View Post

Thats how Paul Dalton applies wax.

Well, thats the way he does it.

I tried it once and when it came time for removal, some light streaking occured.
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

It prolly depends upon the type of wax being used.

Comment

I have applied Pinnacle Souveran paste by hand, and had absolutely no issue at all.

I don't know if it is a good idea to be handling the stuff with bare skin though

Comment

I know a few people who will do that on occasion, but I find a perfectly fine microfiber to be sufficient. If I'm tired, I'll normally switch to my cheapo Walmart buffer.

Comment

I prefer a small, round, foam pad, as cloth will absorb, and thus waste product.

Comment

Myself personally, can not figure out any advantage of applying it by hand.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

It'll make you look cool and make people think you know what you're doing, other than that i haven't been able to see significant difference in result. Plus i waste more product using bare hand and kinda hard to make thin application

Comment

The Pinnacle Souveran paste wax can be hard. What I have done in the past is: Pop the whole piece, or pieces from the container, then rub/glide it across the finish. When an adaquate amount of wax is on the finish, put the piece back in the container, and then go back over the finish with a small, round, foam applicator.

It can be hard to get the Souveran paste wax onto a foam applicator, so removing it from the container (and rubbing the product directly onto the paint) makes it really easy to get it onto the finish. I use a rubber glove when handling the stuff, as I don't know if the stuff is harmfull when it penetrates the pores of my skin.

In my case, applying Souveran paste wax by hand has absolutely nothing to do with the end result, but allows the product to be easily applied.

Comment

I've been applying paste waxes to the soft foam pad of my 110 with a butter knife and spreading it on like butter, then applying it to the car at a speed of around 3.5

So far, nobody sees any benefit to using bare hands hm?
                        I can see benefit to using the D/A, it applies the right amount, and does it faster and
                        even helps clean up the paint while doing it.

We used to have streaking problems with dark and black cars after applying wax by hand with foam pad. Since we started using the DA polisher to apply, we have never had a streaking problem. No more frantically wiping down the hood in the lot minutes before the customer arrives because you still see those streaks! Those days are gone

Comment

Nothing wrong with hand application imo.

Waxed many cars in the past using bare hands, all good.

Comment

Originally posted by Expertcarpetcare View Post

I've been applying paste waxes to the soft foam pad of my 110 with a butter knife and spreading it on like butter...

You are obviously not using a "hard paste wax".

I guess you didn't read my post.

Originally posted by Fly Bye View Post

The Pinnacle Souveran paste wax can be hard.

It can be hard to get the Souveran paste wax onto a foam applicator

In my case, applying Souveran paste wax by hand has absolutely nothing to do with the end result, but allows the product to be easily applied.

Comment

Originally posted by Expertcarpetcare View Post
                              I've been applying paste waxes to the soft foam pad of my 110 with a butter knife and spreading it on like butter, then applying it to the car at a speed of around 3.5

I can see benefit to using the D/A, it applies the right amount, and does it faster and
                              even helps clean up the paint while doing it.

We used to have streaking problems with dark and black cars after applying wax by hand with foam pad. Since we started using the DA polisher to apply, we have never had a streaking problem. No more frantically wiping down the hood in the lot minutes before the customer arrives because you still see those streaks! Those days are gone
                              Now this i agree, D/A enables uniform and thin application, but it waste even more product for me: bigger foam pad, kinda hard to squeeze that wax from the pore, coz of the thickness. As long as we can get it thin, uniform layer: bare hand, applicator pad, D/A shouldn't matter though, whichever makes you feel good...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');