• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PlastiX Gone Wrong..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlastiX Gone Wrong..

My buddy used plastix after doing a headlight restoration kit on his car. Well he applied the plastix after he was done and let it sit on the headlight for like 5 mins then tried wiping it off.. yeah well it didnt work.. it left a permant haze on his headlight and he cant get it off. he used his fingers to apply the plastix and u can see it all over his headlights, it's like embedded into his plastic.

what to do?

Re: PlastiX Gone Wrong..

Was the headlight hot from engine heat? That might affect the way PlastX works.

Dont let it sit for too much time just apply and put some elbow grease, its not a Apply and remove product. Its a rubbing product.

If you cant get the PlastX from the headlight, try some UC (Ultimate Compound) im sure it will do the job.

Ryan
    Ryan's Auto Detailing, S.A
    Mobile Auto Detailing Company.
    Dominican Republic.

Passion for Detailing, do it with love.

Comment

Did you try applying more Plast-X and removing right away. Normally, like removes like. Did you try using maybe APC or APC+ to remove the haze? Is it actually product that is left on the headlight lenses or could it have been a mistake in your process. Photo's would help.

Andy
      Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
      Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I'll try to take some pics right now give me a min.. I tried reapplying the plastix for him and it didnt work its still on there, and i tried ultimate compound as well it wont come off.

Comment

How yellowish were the headlight? Usually you have to wetsand the headlights then use the plastX Like you would do it with the headlight restoration kit.

Pictures yeah!!!
          Dominican Republic.

Comment

alright here are some pics, sorry not good quality im using my phone to take them.. not a good example.

Comment

by the way he used the turtlewax headlight kit.

Comment

Ok, wait.

Your saying PlastX or Turtle Wax headlight restoration kit? Did he sanded the headlights? Did he went from a lower paper to a higher paper 1500-2000-3000 grits? What type of applicator did he used?

Let me guess, terry cloth?

Let us know.

We wanna help you

Ryan
                Dominican Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
                  by the way he used the turtlewax headlight kit.
                  Just a minor detail....

Well, for starters, there is no way PlastX created those scratches - your culprit is likely the aforementioned Turtlewax headlight kit.

That said, there are a few other key points to adress: 1.) PlastX is not meant to be applied like a wax or sealant, that is to say it shouldn't be left to dry at all. PlastX works by abrading away the dead or scratched layers of plastic, revealing a smoother, clearer layer. That said, enter problem 2.) He applied it with his fingers. If you apply PlastX with your fingers there is no way to actually allow the product to do its work...it needs a proper applicator - such as a foam pad, same kind you use to apply wax - in order to really push the product into the product with force and allow it to break down.

The product then needs to be removed immediately, BEFORE it dries.

But, depending on what the Turtlewax kit entailed, you may need something more aggressive than PlastX by hand to fix that hazing.

Can you share more information on what was done to the headlights before the PlastX was applied?

Also, side note, when a product dries and cannot be easily removed, typically the best way to remove it is by adding more of the same product - "Like dissolves like," which will wet it, and then you want to immediately wipe the product away.

Comment

Ok first he used this product..
                    He followed the instructions, and heard to apply plastix after completing the turtle wax headlight kit. He did not use a applicator pad to apply the plastix he used his fingers.. I dont know why? But after he did that, the headlight got messed up. And also there are scratches all over the light, caused by the sanding it looks. I tried re applying plastix, and no results. I tried ultimate compound and nothing.. I do have a 3M Headlight kit i can use on it, its brand new never used..But at this point i dont wanna ruin it anymore then what it is..

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_Bihun89 View Post
                      Ok, wait.

Your saying PlastX or Turtle Wax headlight restoration kit? Did he sanded the headlights? Did he went from a lower paper to a higher paper 1500-2000-3000 grits? What type of applicator did he used?

Let me guess, terry cloth?

Let us know.

We wanna help you

Ryan
                      yes he did go from a lower to a higher "he says" i dunno for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
                        yes he did go from a lower to a higher "he says" i dunno for sure.
                        What type of applicator did you used when you used the PlastX? Did you put some elbow grease and passion to it? Those sanding marks dont look like 3000 grit sanding marks. But if he says so... i cant say not.

How long did you worked the UC? And what type of application method did you used?

The application method is important to know what will be the final result.
                        Foam pads are less aggresive than Terry towels.
                        Dominican Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_Bihun89 View Post
                          What type of applicator did you used when you used the PlastX? Did you put some elbow grease and passion to it? Those sanding marks dont look like 3000 grit sanding marks. But if he says so... i cant say not.

How long did you worked the UC? And what type of application method did you used?

The application method is important to know what will be the final result.
                          Foam pads are less aggresive than Terry towels.
                          I worked the UC for about 3-4 mins.. and i used a applicator pad. I have microfiber pads as well as regular pads u use to wax with. I also have a DA with polishing pads and finshing pads if needed.

Comment

Yeah, I can tell you now that PlastX did not cause any of those issues, especially if it was applied by hand. The hazing is caused by the sanding pads that were included in the TW kit and possible their chunky "compound." If you genuinely tried reapplying PlastX WITH and applicator and it did not improve than you need to get something more aggressive for the deep markings such as M105 or Ultimate Compound. And in the future, I recommend the Meguiars Headlight Kit. It comes with Plastx, microfiber and even a Buffing Pad attachment for a drill--Which works even better than by hand.
                            Matt

Comment

I have UC? But it did not work for it.. Or should i try another method of applying using UC?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');