• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing a boat questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing a boat questions

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it.

OK, so a co-worker asked me if I'd be willing to do a cleanup on his boat. It is a 2000 Stingray 230 SX, 23 feet. It will be up on a stand, not in the water. His boat looks similar to this one:

He pretty much just wants a wash and wax and a quick interior cleanup. No correction, no engine cleaning. He told me he keeps it pretty clean - however I'm taking that statement with a grain of salt. He said he figures about $150 is fair. Does that seem fair to you? I have never detailed/cleaned a boat before, so I am rather unsure how to go about it. Any suggestions? I don't want to go buy any boat products unless I have to - since I'm not doing any correction work I don't really see that being an issue. Can I use an automotive wax such as Duragloss 105, Klasse AIO, or Collinite 845? Can you clay a boat? I am within about 20 miles of a Sea Ray boats dealer (Sea Ray boats is based in Knoxville, FYI) - I would assume they have boat cleaning products if there is any thing you think I might be in dire need of. Any tips, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Re: Detailing a boat questions

$150 sounds a bit low.

Your going to want to pick up some Marine/RV line products, such as Boat Wash and M50 Cleaner Wax.

If the boat is in pretty good shape then I would wash it really well, clay if its needed, then apply M50 Cleaner Wax with your G110.

If the boat is really oxidized then there is not much you can do in terms of washing and waxing. Even a cleaner wax such as M50 may not be enough for moderate oxidation. It might need a deep cleaning with #49.

I have not used it yet, but you may want to give the new Flagship Cleaner Wax a try as well.

As for price, I would charge at least $250 for just a wash, clay, and cleaner wax and the interior cleaned up.

Not sure if the owner wants the trailer done though.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Forgot to mention that Bass Pro Shops has a lot of Marine/RV line products, mostly Meguiars too.
      Nick
      815-954-0773

Comment

Hmmm, I never get to use that smiley.

Anyway, I won't be doing his boat. I talked to him the other day, and mentioned that it would be about a $250 job. He said that while the job may be worth $250, it isn't worth $250 to him. He said he'd rather do a half-a** job himself (those were his words) and have $250 in his pocket. Guess he thought he could get me to do a great job for less than the job was worth. Oh well. It happens, I suppose.
        Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post

Hmmm, I never get to use that smiley.

Anyway, I won't be doing his boat. I talked to him the other day, and mentioned that it would be about a $250 job. He said that while the job may be worth $250, it isn't worth $250 to him. He said he'd rather do a half-a** job himself (those were his words) and have $250 in his pocket. Guess he thought he could get me to do a great job for less than the job was worth. Oh well. It happens, I suppose.

Even if you did do the job for $250 I think he would have expected some sort of Ultimate Detail, like doing underneath the boat, removing all of the oxidation etc.

That boat will probably look like a POS when he is done detailing it.
          Nick
          815-954-0773

Comment

Boat detailing isn't cheap for a reason. There is a lot to a boat and most boat owners are pretty anal. I think you dodged a bullet on this one.

A friend detailed boats on a large lake for few years. He charged $150 for a basic wash and wax on a 16' and under. Add $25/ft as they get bigger. Then added package prices for more involved details. He had a premium service that involved a full detail on the interior, washing, compounding, polishing, waxing, chrome restoration and glass/plastic polishing. It started at $550.

His basic full clean-up (wash, polish, wax, interior, chrome and windshield) on that boat would have run about $500 and taken about 10 hours.
            Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');