• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to start

Well I have been trying to get into detailing. I did my friends car for a favor for his prom for 25$ for a wash and wax, rim cleaning, tire shine, and interior cleaning. Now he has told his family and they think that they can get it for around that cheap too. Now I want to get into detailing as a side job. I want to make money doing this and Word of mouth travels fast and I want to get some customers but I'm not sure if this is the way I should be going about it. I feel like in order to feel like I have not been cheated I have to put a cap on how many hours I should put into the job and how much product I can use. What should I do?

Thanks

Re: Trying to start

You have to work out a price that is fair for the products you use and the hours you put in. You have to decide how much you can charge per hour so that it is fair for the customer and for you.

Remember that when starting to detail you may not be able to charge as much as you would like to because you first have to get your name out there. Once people start talking then you can start raising your prices to something more acceptable.
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Originally posted by coopers23 View Post
      You have to work out a price that is fair for the products you use and the hours you put in. You have to decide how much you can charge per hour so that it is fair for the customer and for you.

Remember that when starting to detail you may not be able to charge as much as you would like to because you first have to get your name out there. Once people start talking then you can start raising your prices to something more acceptable.
      This is true but you also dont want to build a reputation of the 'cheap guy who does good work'...i know..ive been that guy lol. $25 is extremely cheap...like REALLY cheap lol

For me I do $40 for a car and $50-60 for large SUV's and Trucks.
      I give them a full wash (a good one not a rush job)... the same way id do my own, top to bottom...i use about 3 or 4 different mitts/sponges...clean the tires and rims...dress the tires...windows inside and out and a full wax (nothing TOO expensive thou for the wax...)

For inside I'll do a full wipe down and vacuum...door jams...and put dressing on all vinyl thruout the car. I do it with my sis and it usually takes us a couple hours (so 4 man hours so to speak) if the car isnt TOO filthy.

We've been doing this for about 4 or 5 years now...and since ive upped my game to working with a PC and working on paint correction/polishing in addition to waxing...its time for us to up our prices.

Ive done a LOT of reading a LOT of practicing/expirimenting with products and techniques and I'm pretty good. My help my sis with learning these things and she'll take interior while i tackle exterior.

For everything that you just did...if you do a GOOD job...id say $40 is a fair start price for a car and more for trucks/suvs....especially if you do a mobile deal. Also if you give people good work for decent money you'll probably get some tips .

Once your reputation is built up...if you have upped your game/products/technique then you can up your prices. Thats just how i do it anyway...I hope this helps

What products are you using BTW?
      Wills Amstutz
      Windows And Wheels Auto Detailing LLC
      www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook

Comment

Thanks guys.
        I talked to my friend and he did say for me to set some prices so he can tell them up front what I charge. I am doing another car Tuesday for 30$ but I hear that he tips well so thats always a plus.

I used nxt gen tech wax 2.0, Meguiars Hot shine foam tire shine, Meguiars multi piece rims cleaner, Meguiars window cleaner, Meguiars interior detailer. So for the most part I uses lower shelf Meguiars products.

Comment

Originally posted by 01GPGT View Post
          Thanks guys.
          I talked to my friend and he did say for me to set some prices so he can tell them up front what I charge. I am doing another car Tuesday for 30$ but I hear that he tips well so thats always a plus.

I used nxt gen tech wax 2.0, Meguiars Hot shine foam tire shine, Meguiars multi piece rims cleaner, Meguiars window cleaner, Meguiars interior detailer. So for the most part I uses lower shelf Meguiars products.
          Well 2.0 isnt cheap stuff ...not my favorite but its pretty good. Its more technique than anything. Hope he tips you well!
          Wills Amstutz
          www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook

Comment

Well I have been trying to get into detailing. I did my friends car for a favor for his prom for 25$ for a wash and wax, rim cleaning, tire shine, and interior cleaning. Now he has told his family and they think that they can get it for around that cheap too. Now I want to get into detailing as a side job. I want to make money doing this and Word of mouth travels fast and I want to get some customers but I'm not sure if this is the way I should be going about it. I feel like in order to feel like I have not been cheated I have to put a cap on how many hours I should put into the job and how much product I can use. What should I do?

Thanks
            $25 is way too low to wash, wax and clean the interior.

I would say somewhere bewtween $80-$120 is fair depending on the size of the vehicle.

I would not do another car that low.

Originally posted by coopers23 View Post

If your confident in your skill level then theres no reason to not charge an acceptable price. Whether your starting out or not.

Originally posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
            This is true but you also dont want to build a reputation of the 'cheap guy who does good work'...i know..ive been that guy lol. $25 is extremely cheap...like REALLY cheap lol

For me I do $40 for a car and $50-60 for large SUV's and Trucks.
            I give them a full wash (a good one not a rush job)... the same way id do my own, top to bottom...i use about 3 or 4 different mitts/sponges...clean the tires and rims...dress the tires...windows inside and out and a full wax (nothing TOO expensive thou for the wax...)

For inside I'll do a full wipe down and vacuum...door jams...and put dressing on all vinyl thruout the car. I do it with my sis and it usually takes us a couple hours (so 4 man hours so to speak) if the car isnt TOO filthy.

We've been doing this for about 4 or 5 years now...and since ive upped my game to working with a PC and working on paint correction/polishing in addition to waxing...its time for us to up our prices.

Ive done a LOT of reading a LOT of practicing/expirimenting with products and techniques and I'm pretty good. My help my sis with learning these things and she'll take interior while i tackle exterior.

For everything that you just did...if you do a GOOD job...id say $40 is a fair start price for a car and more for trucks/suvs....especially if you do a mobile deal. Also if you give people good work for decent money you'll probably get some tips .

Once your reputation is built up...if you have upped your game/products/technique then you can up your prices. Thats just how i do it anyway...I hope this helps

What products are you using BTW?
            $40 is still a bit to cheap for a basic detail like that IMO.

Thanks guys.

I would not consider them "lower shelf" products.

If you do a fair amount of cars then those products will go pretty quick and you will have to keep purchasing them.

It would cost over $30 to replace all those products and thats pretty much what your charging for the detail itself.
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Thats true that they will go quick if you keep a constant work flow...then you would probably want to look into gallon size products for car wash/apc and pretty at least 32oz size compound/polish/wax. I buy the gallon of HyperDressing (meguiars)..its about $30 but you can dilute it down to whatever shine you want and use it on vinyl/trim/tires/engines and basically anything rubber/vinyl related...which saves you from having 4 or 5 different products for 4 or 5 different things...Hyperdressing isnt the only product like that but i like it, its good stuff
              Wills Amstutz
              www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
                Thats true that they will go quick if you keep a constant work flow...then you would probably want to look into gallon size products for car wash/apc and pretty at least 32oz size compound/polish/wax. I buy the gallon of HyperDressing (meguiars)..its about $30 but you can dilute it down to whatever shine you want and use it on vinyl/trim/tires/engines and basically anything rubber/vinyl related...which saves you from having 4 or 5 different products for 4 or 5 different things...Hyperdressing isnt the only product like that but i like it, its good stuff
                I use Hyperdressing, but still need to have ASD, M40, NS, UP, and QID on hand.
                Nick
                Tucker's Detailing Services
                815-954-0773
                2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                  I use Hyperdressing, but still need to have ASD, M40, NS, UP, and QID on hand.

Whoa lost me there my man...I know ASD is all season dressing...QID im guessing is quick interior detail...what is M40,NS and UP? What do you use them on and what do you use your hyperdressing on?
                  Wills Amstutz
                  www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');