• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on drills for detailing attachments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on drills for detailing attachments

The polishing attachments that go on a drill, such as the one in the Meguiar's headlight restoration kit, or the Powerball or Flitz ones or the Buff N Shine felt polishing attachments, I was wondering what you should look for in the way of a drill to use it for.

You can buy a cordless drill for anywhere from $29 to over $300.

Can anyone give advice as to what I should be looking for in a drill for drill-attached polishing? Would a low-end one work?

Re: Advice on drills for detailing attachments

I think it would depend on if you planned on a multi-task unit or detail only. My experience in a cordless unit has pointed me towards the 18volt units. A smaller unit might be fine for detailing but come up a little short on power for heavy drilling etc. I prefer the name brands available at the big box stores or online. Dewalt , Hitachi come to mind. not too crazy about store or off brands. I am also a bargan hunter and watch the fathers day sales at Lowes , HomeDepot , etc. Another option if your brave is a trip to your local pawn shop. Good Luck with your search.
    Live like you're not afraid to die.Don't be scared, just enjoy your ride. Chris Ledoux RIP

PAUL SPARKS / Distinctive Auto Detailing
    317-513-4678

Comment

I've had mixed results with cordless drills and detailing. I'm a contractor and have truck full of cordless tools, none work good for detailing, some work ok.

The problem with cordless is the low gearing. They just don't spin fast enough to be very effective at polishing. The one I go to, when I need to is a Dewalt 9.6v. It's light and faster than my 14v and 18v Bosch drills . If I were to buy one dedicated to detailing, but still useful for other projects. I'd go with the 9.6 (or 10v but not higher than 12v) Dewalt lithium with at least 2 batteries. They are light, fast and lithium is by far superior to Nicad or NiMH when it comes to charge time and holding a charge over time.

That said, my go-to drill for polishing is an older Hitachi corded drill. It cost about $50, is variable speed, reversible and spins much faster than a cordless (100-1200rpm IIRCC).

HTH
      Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I think BP could use some advice on drilling attachments

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Bye View Post

I think BP could use some advice on drilling attachments
          Ya...

Originally posted by RogueGypsy View Post
          I've had mixed results with cordless drills and detailing. I'm a contractor and have truck full of cordless tools, none work good for detailing, some work ok.

The problem with cordless is the low gearing. They just don't spin fast enough to be very effective at polishing. The one I go to, when I need to is a Dewalt 9.6v. It's light and faster than my 14v and 18v Bosch drills . If I were to buy one dedicated to detailing, but still useful for other projects. I'd go with the 9.6 (or 10v but not higher than 12v) Dewalt lithium with at least 2 batteries. They are light, fast and lithium is by far superior to Nicad or NiMH when it comes to charge time and holding a charge over time.

That said, my go-to drill for polishing is an older Hitachi corded drill. It cost about $50, is variable speed, reversible and spins much faster than a cordless (100-1200rpm IIRCC).

HTH
          Thanks! I guess I don't need anything cordless, it just seems like that is what they sell these days. Fast is what I would need, not so much torque, for polishing. My husband has a corded one, I just have to convince him to share it with me (it is his motorcycle I am using this for) and it may do just fine for what I need it for. If I am ever mobile I will have a generator with me any way.

What is ironic is you can buy a converter device that will allow you to attach rotary backing pads to your drill, just not the other way around.

Thanks for all your input!

Comment

Hi Mary,

Popular Mechanics does comparisons of different power tools. They did one on cordless drills a few years ago comparing most of the major brands.

Here is the link:

They voted the Makita Drill the best overall.

I hope it helps.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
            Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

I think your best bet will be using a corded drill.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by fly bye View Post

i think bp could use some advice on drilling attachments
                lol
                Tedrow's Detailing
                845-642-1698
                Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I prefer corded drills. The torque and rpm's stay constant, but I also carry a cordless just in case

Comment

My dad has a DeWalt cordless that I use for headlights. By the time I am totally done with the headlights it needs to be recharged though. I was thinking of buying a corded drill from home depot some time soon.
                    Tedrow's Detailing
                    845-642-1698
                    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Originally posted by coopers23 View Post
                      My dad has a DeWalt cordless that I use for headlights. By the time I am totally done with the headlights it needs to be recharged though. I was thinking of buying a corded drill from home depot some time soon.
                      Harbor Freight carries their in-store brand of corded drill. In SoCal, the Chicago 1/2" Heavy Duty Variable Speed Reversible Drill will be on sale starting this Friday for $25. Apply the HF 20% coupon, and the price drops to $20. What's really cool is that the drill comes with a right angle handle, which for me is really useful for polishing headlights.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                        Harbor Freight carries their in-store brand of corded drill. In SoCal, the Chicago 1/2" Heavy Duty Variable Speed Reversible Drill will be on sale starting this Friday for $25. Apply the HF 20% coupon, and the price drops to $20. What's really cool is that the drill comes with a right angle handle, which for me is really useful for polishing headlights.

I can see were that would be a good benefit. Thanks for the heads up.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks all of you for your input! My husband has a corded drill that is variable speed that I am pretty sure will work. I might check out the Harbor Freight model if I need to get my own. For now, all I need it for will be polishing. Thanks again for all your input!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');