• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove bugs from windscreen without damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove bugs from windscreen without damage

I'm looking for suggestions on methods to clean bugs off of a windscreen while doing minimum or no damage. Nothing worse than a scratched/hazy windscreen on a pretty cruiser.

Let's categorize this:
    1-Fresh
    2-Baked

I have a few thoughts of my own but I'd like to here yours first.

Re: How to remove bugs from windscreen without damage

Originally posted by Bandit Bill View Post

1-Fresh

I use a micro fiber with instant detailer. The mf should pretty damp. The wetter, the better. I get it as wet as possible without liquid running down. If you're to the point of liquid running down, may as well just use soap & water and get the whole bike wet.

2-Baked

You could soak a mf with soap/instant detailer, and lay it out on the plastic so that the debris being removed is soaking. Soaking is key to loosening dryed/baked on bugs, which prevents having to scrub the plastic windscreen.

I sometimes just hose down the whole bike if it's really dirty. If you gently wipe the windscreen down with a heavily saturated sponge, (soap & water/instant detailer) whatever solution you use will prolly run/drip down, meaning you will be cleaning more than just the windscreen. then hit it again after 4-5 minutes, the hardened debris should have loosened, thus letting you easily remove it.

Comment

Soap and water and a bug sponge:

I used PlastX on this Victory motorcycle

Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

If the windshield is not that bad, you could use a saturated mf with the solution of your choice, and just use a second mf to stop the drip from dripping on other parts of your bike.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tuck, isn't PlastX being a cleaner and a polish a bit too much for day to day use?

A friend of mind just got a windscreen installed on her Harley ($800 installed) and I don't want her to scratch it up washing her bike. I like Fly Bye recommendations of a (5 minute soak) with a microfiber. Just because this thing is brand spanking new.

With that additional information, would you still recommend day to day cleaning with PlastX?

For Baked: I was thinking more along the lines of M17 Clear Plastic Cleaner. Perhaps letting a wet towel (water) sit on it for a few minutes, followed up with M17 on a microfiber.

For Fresh: probably a spray with the hose, followed up by M17 on a microfiber.

What do you think?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tuck, isn't PlastX being a cleaner and a polish a bit too much for day to day use?

A friend of mind just got a windscreen installed on her Harley ($800 installed) and I don't want her to scratch it up washing her bike. I like Fly Bye recommendations of a (5 minute soak) with a microfiber. Just because this thing is brand spanking new.

With that additional information, would you still recommend day to day cleaning with PlastX?

For Baked: I was thinking more along the lines of M17 Clear Plastic Cleaner. Perhaps letting a wet towel (water) sit on it for a few minutes, followed up with M17 on a microfiber.

What do you think?

No, just use the PlastX a couple of time a year and maintain it with M18 Clear Plastic Detailer.

I did not mean to use the PlastX often or from day to day use.
            Nick
            815-954-0773

Comment

For Baked: Perhaps letting a wet towel (water) sit on it for a few minutes, followed up with M17 on a microfiber.

What do you think?

Before you use the M17, make sure you have all the debris off of the windscreen. M17 is more for removing fine scratches, thus is not something I would use everyday. Were talking about removing bugs off of a plastic windscreen from daily rides.

As far as fresh bugs, I would not spray the windscreen with a hose unless I was planning on cleaning other parts of the motorcycle, as a hose will surely get other parts of the motorcycle wet. I probably wouldn't use a hose unless I was indeed going to wash/clean the whole motorcycle, or the windscreen was really, really bad.

I have never had a problem with cleaning/removing bugs on my R1. If there are a lot of dried bugs on the windscreen, I may gently go over it with a saturated mf. If the bugs are really adhered to the windscreen, I may just saturate a mf with a type of liqud, and just lay it on the windscreen for 4-5 minutes, and then gently wipe away the bugs. If they don't all come off at this time, they will definately, easily come off with a second gentle wipe with a clean, saturated mf.

Comment

Autogeek just came out with a kit for bug removal: http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-bug-eraser-kit.html. The Waterless Bug Remover and the Surface Protectant are both on BOGO right now if you want to buy them separately (not in the kit). Just an FYI.
                Shane
                1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
                  Autogeek just came out with a kit for bug removal: http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-bug-eraser-kit.html. The Waterless Bug Remover and the Surface Protectant are both on BOGO right now if you want to buy them separately (not in the kit). Just an FYI.
                  The kit seems a little too pricey just to remove some bugs, lol.

Although the surface protectant does look interesting, might get better results just by applying some wax or sealant or spraying Body Solvent on the front of the car before a road trip.
                  Nick
                  815-954-0773

Comment

Stupid me I was thinking cleaner as in (non abrasive like soap).
                    Dumb mistake.

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Cooking oil or grease can also be used to remove an insect from a windshield. Any standard household cooking oil or grease, such as bacon grease or lard, will loosen the insect after two or three minutes. Use glass cleaner to remove the grease or oil from your windshield.
                      murano glass bracelet

Comment

Originally posted by Murano View Post
                        Cooking oil or grease can also be used to remove an insect from a windshield. Any standard household cooking oil or grease, such as bacon grease or lard, will loosen the insect after two or three minutes. Use glass cleaner to remove the grease or oil from your windshield.
                        Interesting comment Murano. I'd like to know what others think of this.

Comment

Keeping the screen coated with a good wax will aid removal on a daily basis too. Quick Wax or even UQD works and is easy to do....
                          Barry

Comment

I use Meguiars Glass Cleaner Concentrate with a MF Towel. Then I follow up with PlastX if there are any swirls on the shield.
                            Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Murano View Post

Ewww, Gross. I wouldn't want to do that lol
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');