• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Shampoo as clay lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Shampoo as clay lube

Ok, I know there have been many threads like this. However, I been reading a lot of thread from other forums, and they are using GC Shampoo as a clay lube. Can GC Shampoo really be used as a subtitute for Last Touch or Final Inspection? Also, I heard that car wash shampoo will quickly breakdown the clay bar compare to quick detailers. Is this true? Guys, what do you say?

Re: Car Shampoo as clay lube

I read it somewhere else in this forum, but the shampoo will break up or dissolve the clay. Car shampoos are more commonly used as a wetsanding or damp sanding lubricant.

Comment

I have used GC as a clay lube and it works great. But it does cause the clay to break down faster.
      Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Theres a chance you could marr the paint up.

Theres a thread on here somewhere where GC was used as a clay lube and there was a lot of marring when the car was in full sun.

Its cheaper to use LT at 1:1.
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Your clay will break up sooner. I would stick with the Last touch, or qd for the lube.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by EPHIOS View Post
            Ok, I know there have been many threads like this. However, I been reading a lot of thread from other forums, and they are using GC Shampoo as a clay lube. Can GC Shampoo really be used as a subtitute for Last Touch or Final Inspection? Also, I heard that car wash shampoo will quickly breakdown the clay bar compare to quick detailers. Is this true? Guys, what do you say?

Why would you use shampoo in the first place as Quick Detail-er is cheap and safe.

Comment

LT at 1:1 is very cost-effective. 2 gallons for $20, $10 a gallon. Opposed to $5 for 32 oz Quick Detailer which makes $20 per gallon of clay lube.
              Tedrow's Detailing
              845-642-1698
              Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

What clay are you using? If it's megs than better use QD or LT. I've used it with soap once and it dissolve the clay rather quickly, so big No No! 3M Clay would work fine with their soap, but i wouldn't recommend it as the soap residue could get messy and you need to hose it down to remove remaining soap.

Comment

I use nothing but car wash shampoo as a clay lube. Never had an issue, never had clay degrade. Marring could be caused by a medium/aggressive clay no matter what lube is used.

Comment

I am using Mother's clay bar. I am asking this question because I have a lot of DC Car Wash and GC Shampoo on my cabinet. Just a bit curious. I do have two gallons of LT.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');