• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove #205 residue at tape lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove #205 residue at tape lines?

I just used #205 followed by NXT II. I used a G100, so I taped up the trim. There were residue lines at the tape that I missed cleaning up and now I am not sure how to remove them. I believe they are from the 205 and not the NXT, because the NXT has always been easy to remove from spots I've missed even the next day or more.

So what can I use to clean up that residue? I've tried Quick Detailer and UQD with a microfiber and it did nothing. I am sure clay will take it up but then I need to re-wax those areas. Anything that I can use that wont remove the wax?

Re: Remove #205 residue at tape lines?

alcohol works for me ,
    if on paint , then re-wax the area when done cleaning
    proreflection
    *Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Comment

Using a clean, foam applicator pad, (hand pad), carefully rub over the residue line with NXT or whatever wax you want to use and gently remove the residue.

Pain in the bottom to do but the safest way to loosen it, remove it and leave the paint behind looking clean, clear and protected.

Just did this exact thing to this car...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

how much time on average do you all spend taping before cut/polish/wax?

Comment

About an hour... I don't time myself and some cars are worse than others as far as trim taping goes...

What you don't see on the picture above is the louvered deck-lid with a black grill under it... and lots more tape...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Rubbing over the residue line with NXT won't work becuase the line is too close to the plastic (that I don't want to get wax on.) I'll probably just use a clay bar and since that will leave a wider path, I'll just rewax those areas.

I don't know how long I spend taping, but on my car there is a ton of stuff to tape (mostly black plastic and rubber.) It takes a bunch of time and tape.

This is the first time I used 205 (used M80 before). I liked using 205, especially how long you could work it. I don't however remember the M80 tape line residue being so hard to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              About an hour... I don't time myself and some cars are worse than others as far as trim taping goes...

That's a relief! I thought I was spending way too much time taping.
              2014 Cadillac ATS4 Performance in White Diamond Tricoat. It's loaded with everything but frickin' lasers!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');